Spy Shots—2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Diesel

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i-w58MPpX-X4.jpg

This is a first look and confirmation of the ’19 Chevy Silverado 1500 Diesel.

The new Silverado caught at the diesel pump in Death Valley, California, confirmed what we had already suspected for a while. On top of having diesel pumped into the truck, 100% certainty can be gleaned from the fuel door cover, which reads “Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Only.”

Engine rumors suggest the possibility of a Navistar 3.0L inline six-cylinder diesel engine, but GM also has a 4.5L diesel V6 in its arsenal that only needs to be dusted off and put into production. Another rumor suggests that GM may try to upgrade the turbo and injectors in the 2.8L four-cylinder diesel in the Colorado/Canyon compact pickups for the 1500 models. With an aluminum-intensive body on the way (sans the bed), a four-cylinder diesel could potentially have enough power for the 1500 model.

The new Silverado will continue with refinements on the current V8 engines, but will also get a diesel option on the half-ton models—currently heavy-duty trucks are equipped with the Duramax diesel—and a turbocharged V6 is also likely to join the lineup. A 10-speed automatic first seen in the Camaro ZL1 will find its way into at least some trucks at launch.

Expect to see the new Silverado in late 2018 as a ’19 model.

i-JSQfR2K-X4.jpg

Photo credit: Brian Williams, SpiedBilde

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Everyone rushing to put diesels in their 1/2 tons now.

Heard mentality in full effect for the truck market.

This. I don't really understand it, especially for Ford with the EB engines. I don't see a small diesel gaining enough in economy or power over the EB engines to justify its cost, especially when you throw in the reliability issues of diesel emissions. Nissan has proven that a medium sized diesel in a 1/2 ton'ish truck basically gives you the worst of all worlds too (less capability than a 3/4 ton, but with all the expense of one).

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
This. I don't really understand it, especially for Ford with the EB engines. I don't see a small diesel gaining enough in economy or power over the EB engines to justify its cost, especially when you throw in the reliability issues of diesel emissions. Nissan has proven that a medium sized diesel in a 1/2 ton'ish truck basically gives you the worst of all worlds too (less capability than a 3/4 ton, but with all the expense of one).

Can't be caught not having an offering your competitor has. At almost any cost.

If the diesel was on equal footing as a gas in terms of emissions requirements, I could see a real benefit of diesel. Under the current environmental landscape however, that's not happening any time soon.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm interested at Ford and Chevy's attempt at it, they are pretty good at getting stuff done for a small amount.

And also, LOL if this thing comes with a navistar.

KevSher20

Established Member
I've got a tuned and deleted f250 that does close to 490 whp and 20 plus mpg on the highway every time. If a diesel half ton can get close to 30 highway and still tow most everything the average person would need, I'd get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troponin

Established Member

Cost wouldn't be near so high had the government not demonized the diesel market. Foreign countries are churning out diesels at great prices and the cost of the diesel itself is relatively lower I believe too. (Need to fact check that one, but heard it years ago)

Is it really any different than putting a diesel in a passenger car? Why the resistance? Most gas trucks get horrible fuel mileage and diesel would get much better fuel economy

KevSher20

Established Member
Not to mention the reason diesel costs more is because of our government. Diesel is the garbage, a by product. Cheaper to make than gasoline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Cost wouldn't be near so high had the government not demonized the diesel market. Foreign countries are churning out diesels at great prices and the cost of the diesel itself is relatively lower I believe too. (Need to fact check that one, but heard it years ago)

Is it really any different than putting a diesel in a passenger car? Why the resistance? Most gas trucks get horrible fuel mileage and diesel would get much better fuel economy

Got a 5.3 in my sierra and with a LEAD foot knock down 17 city and 23 on highway

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Got a 5.3 in my sierra and with a LEAD foot knock down 17 city and 23 on highway

Interesting, because in mine, I got about 14mpg average. I averaged 19mpg in my duramax, which was a MUCH, much heavier truck.

^^^ That seems much closer to the actual number most guys get with a led foot. My buddy drove his pretty aggressive and regularly got 13. His dad did about 14 in his, after supercharging it, it doesn't do better than 11 lol.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
^^^ That seems much closer to the actual number most guys get with a led foot. My buddy drove his pretty aggressive and regularly got 13. His dad did about 14 in his, after supercharging it, it doesn't do better than 11 lol.

Ive calculated mine multiple times at the pump and for whatever reason this one seems to be a sipper. My prior trucks all were 15 to 19 mpg. I forgot to mention to that mine rarely goes above 45 and sees less than 10,000 miles a year so that probably plays some into it

Dusten

Established Member
Interesting, because in mine, I got about 14mpg average. I averaged 19mpg in my duramax, which was a MUCH, much heavier truck.

I have a spreadsheet for every fill up on my 5.3 equipped 2015 Tahoe with 3.42 gears and driving almost entirely city my worst tank is 16ish, and my best tank is almost 23. It routinely gets 21-22 freeway if I keep it under 75. Towing is another story though. It def kicks my old Ecoboosts ass for mpg's, but it does lack power.

MG0h3

Established Member
I average 12mpg in my 15 ecoboost but Im not babying it either. Freeways are usually 80 around here and I do have a canopy and probably an extra 800lbs of gear in my truck at all times.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Dodge diesel is only a 4K option and most times they are offering a rebate that almost wipes it out.
They are realistically seeing MPG on the highway over 30 and some are averaging 27-28 with a mix of highway/city.
If I can go back to a 1/2 ton it would be my next truck but seeing that I still tow pretty heavy I will most likely stay 3/4 or 1 ton.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I have a spreadsheet for every fill up on my 5.3 equipped 2015 Tahoe with 3.42 gears and driving almost entirely city my worst tank is 16ish, and my best tank is almost 23. It routinely gets 21-22 freeway if I keep it under 75. Towing is another story though. It def kicks my old Ecoboosts ass for mpg's, but it does lack power.

You aint lying about lack of power. My 2015 feels like its nuts are cut off and doesn't real get moving until about 3000 rpm.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Dodge diesel is only a 4K option and most times they are offering a rebate that almost wipes it out.
They are realistically seeing MPG on the highway over 30 and some are averaging 27-28 with a mix of highway/city.
If I can go back to a 1/2 ton it would be my next truck but seeing that I still tow pretty heavy I will most likely stay 3/4 or 1 ton.

Im not necessarily in the market for a Diesel. Even though they feature Cummins engines, Ive always been hesitant about looking at a Ram because, well, Chrysler LLC. Electrical and transmission nightmare etc.

How have they done as the years have gone by as far as reliability and quality in their trucks? I wont even think of a Dodge or Chrysler car.

CLN 6R

Established Member
After test driving a Colorado Diesel for a weekend, I liked it, but I couldn't get over the price of one, where as it's basically the price of a half-ton and missing some of the stuff a half ton offers. For a bit more you can get a very nicely equipped half ton. But I loved the mileage that thing got.

If this half ton diesel gets close to 30 highway, and 19-21 city, I'd be a very strong potential buyer of one, as long as they aren't asking a ridiculous premium for the Diesel engine.

Users who are viewing this thread