SQL 10” subwoofers

Troponin

Established Member
So I want to change my set up in my new car. I currently have a Sundown Audio 12 with a 1600W amp. It hits HARD. That being said, it gets really “funny” at higher frequencies. Frquencies that, based on specs, it shouldn’t have issues with. Maybe it’s the box, bu who knows. Bottom line, it’s an SPL sub and is a beast.

Regardless, I want to go towards a bit more SQL this time. I Know two good name brand 10s that can handle some power are going to be pretty loud, but I really don’t want to lose SPL completely.

If money was no object, what would you choose? Would any of you consider Focal K2 10s? I know JL has a huge following, so I would assume a lot will say W7s, if you’re going ot spend that kind of money, however, is the slight increase in price for the Focals going to shine?

I listen to trap, rap, DNB, and even country. I have heard Focals are really, really tight and have a pretty amazing range, but cot damb! They are expensive. If I fork over that kind of money, I expect some magic to happen when they play. W7s aren’t much less though.

So what, in you opinion, is the best speaker on the market for playing that kind of music. The order indicates how often I listen to each of them.

Coiled03

Established Member
JL....lol.....no.

Given the options, Focal for sure.

Troponin

Established Member
JL....lol.....no.

Given the options, Focal for sure.

JL was really the only other subwoofer that I could think of off the top of my head to mention. I know several other names, but I have lived in the “Middle” quality for so long, I don’t know the high end market as much. Mostly ever had Infinity, Alpine, Kicker, and Sundown (SA being the most recent and most I ever paid).

Is there another subwoofer you had in mind?

I am really trying to compare to make a good decision. Those DD9500 subs look yummy, but they are pushing the price higher than I expected subs to hit. Lol Talking $1,000! The Focals and W7s run around $750 and $650, respectively. Still, reading up on the super high end stuff can help give me an idea where the Focals compare.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Focal. No need to spend a fortune. I'm perfectly happy with the Kicker sub in the Miata.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
What frequencies are you having trouble with? How high is the sub currently playing? Which sundown sub is it?

Troponin

Established Member
What frequencies are you having trouble with? How high is the sub currently playing? Which sundown sub is it?

It’s the first gen z4 or whatever it’s called.

I want to say it’s about 40 Hz that’s giving me the issue. The sub actually plays 60 Hz just fine, and it hits very low and hard without issue. The lows will rattle your brain out of your ears. Whenever it hits 40 Hz, it clicks, almost like it is bottoming out. It’s not an easy frequency to filter out. Spent months trying to figure it out, but just give up. I think I need to find somebody with an amp hefty enough to power this thing to rule out any amplifier issues. You don’t just buy a new 1500w amp to rule out a problem.

Still, the bass is not tight at all and this

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
What kind of box is it in, ported box? Tuning frequency? Homemade or off the shelf?

You'll need to determine what's making the sound. It might not be the sun itself. It could be the speaker wire inside the sub. Perhaps the box is weak?

If it is the sub, at what volume is this happening?

Really hard to give help without hearing/seeing anything. In person would be ideal but that's not an option here lol. Take a vid?

Coiled03

Established Member
JL was really the only other subwoofer that I could think of off the top of my head to mention.

Yeah, sorry. Pay no attention to me.

These kinds of threads make me reminisce about my days competing in IASCA. JL is all good if you aren't looking to win any competitions.

EDIT: Before someone links me a competition where someone won with JL subs, cool your jets. I'm not saying they're trash. I'm just saying they're middle of the road. There are better subs available.

Troponin

Established Member
What kind of box is it in, ported box? Tuning frequency? Homemade or off the shelf?

You'll need to determine what's making the sound. It might not be the sun itself. It could be the speaker wire inside the sub. Perhaps the box is weak?

If it is the sub, at what volume is this happening?

Really hard to give help without hearing/seeing anything. In person would be ideal but that's not an option here lol. Take a vid?

The box was a custom made, tuned and ported. It has to be up a bit loud for it to happen, but I can tell the sub and amp have a lot left in them when it starts happening.

Troponin

Established Member
I never liked the sound of ported boxes. Once I went to a sealed box, the bass was much tighter and deeper to my ears.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That was just the nature of that particular sub. The Focals will probably be sealed, but it just depends on the range. Tuned correctly, a ported box can sound “tight”, but that’s just not what this sub is for and hits way harder ported. I think they said they would seal the Focal box though.

SirShaun

Established Member
This thread made me miss my Kicker Solo Baric L7. They are square, more surface area, and knock hard.

Troponin

Established Member
This thread made me miss my Kicker Solo Baric L7. They are square, more surface area, and knock hard.

Had a Solo Barric back in the day too. Holy shit, that hit hard. I had a single 10 that hit like most 12s of equal quality. It just required stupid power for its time.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like it is the box to be honest. Never liked ported boxes as you just always seem to get that noise no matter what.

Give me a sealed box any day.

I have had everything from Kicker Comps from back in the day when they were the shit, MA Audio XLs, MTX (hated), American Bass Flag Series (loved), Infinity (ok), newer Kicker Comps (so-so), Rockford Fosgate Punch (so-so), and now a Diamond Audio D3s (my gawd).

Newest setup is Morel Tempo Ultra Components, Diamond D3 10s, Diamond Audio amps.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
You could potentially have some mechanical damage.

But first, pull the sub and secure the wire using tape as a test. If the sound goes away then secure it with hold downs.

Next, with the sub out, look and feel for the spider coming up from the basket. The spider can sometimes sound like a click if a portion is flapping around. Looks for tears around the spider, especially near the tinsel leads. Gently and evenly, push the sub through it's stroke and listen for noise. A voice coil will sound more scratchy than anything most times but you can rule it out. Lightly tap the dust cap, it can make funny sounds if it's starting to lift up

Before you reinstall the sub, check the mounting surface. make sure the surface is smooth and that the sub is very securely mounted. Sometimes air escaping between the box and sub cause enough movement to sound like the noise you describe. If you want to get fancy, you can use t nuts, they work great. A nice stainless hex head bolt with washers is the next best thing, then woodscrews. Screws work fine for the majority of installs but more secure is always better. I use the rubberized window strip stuff around my subs for a tight fit.

Try those things and see if you find the problem.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Regarding comments about ported boxes and noise or sound, don't blame the box, blame the builder.

A well designed ported box will be louder and play every bit as well as a sealed box for most installs. There can be issues with group delay but if you know what that actually is, then you'll already know if a ported box is right for your application anyways. If a box has air turbulence issues, the port wasn't designed correctly.

Most ported boxes aren't made for a specific sub and the one that are, usually are ported way too high and are for impressing kids with shitty 40-60hz peaks.

Subs don't sound "tight" or "loose", poor sub choice for application and poor box design are responsible for that.

Users who are viewing this thread