Squeaking Windows!

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Since our southern "winter" has hit and it is progressively getting colder, my windows have started to squeak. It is extremely embarrassing rolling up and sometimes down the windows when anyone is around! And even with just me there, it is this hideous, screeching noise that I just cannot stand. Is there anything that I, personally, can do? Is there anything the Ford place can do?

Thanks
Chelsea

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Silicone or graphite lubricant spray?

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Mine had a bad squeek on the drivers side window. While I had the car in for some insurance work (some bone head keyed the entire drivers side) the dealership noticed a couple of spot welds
in the driver door were defective. They repaired them and when I got the car back, with a fresh coat of sonic blue on the entire drivers side, the window squeek was gone. I hope this helps.
By the way they did a fantastic job of matching the color and finishing the car.
Ray H

03DOHC

Established Member
Do you wax your windows when you wax your car? If so, it could be making the seal vibrate.

Does the window **** to one side and then the other when going up or down, like it's dragging on something? In other words, when rolling it up does the front of your window drop down? If so, the dealer has some stuff called Mini vent lube. A few squirts of this stuff in the track should help. A small bottle of it is expensive, so you may want the dealer to do it for you under warranty.

B

blown03cobra

Same sqeek here now that its colder.... something else to live with is the way i see it.

donaisenbrey

Established Member
I had the squeak. Dealer service fixed it with lubricant. Worked for about two weeks..............it's back................Don

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I have a permanent fix for the problem. I lubricated the seals with spark plug boot lube (any 100% silicone lubricant in a gel form will do) that I bought from Advance auto parts. I applied it liberally and it never came back. Others have complained about smearing on the window, but I don't have that problem, just be judicious where you put it.

The squeak isn't coming from the horizontal seal across the bottom of the window, it's the vertical one behind the rear view mirror. Lubricate that and no more squeak.

It's a great fix for $1.68 plus tax...plus, you'll need it again anyway. Check your periodic maintenance schedule that came in your owner's manual packet, it states to lube hatch seals, door seal, etc. every so often. Might as well get the stuff now.

hwystr

Established Member
JoeAsheville is right on. The seal behind the mirror is the squeaky little culprit, 100% silicone lube is best fix, but even it will wear/wash off in time.:beer:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
the dealer has some stuff called Mini vent lube. A few squirts of this stuff in the track should help.

Works wonders. Put it on your finger and rub it inside the sealing surfaces. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread