SRT8 vs. 03 Cobra

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Was on my way home late a few nights ago, not really paying attention since I'd been on the freeway for an our and was off on surface street, but it's a holiday week and traffic was almost non-existant.

A nice black sedan goes blowing by me and I noticed the large wheels (19"s?), blacked out windows..and and SRT 8 badge :coolman: Next light comes up and we're side by side. Generally I wait for the other guy to nail it, but I am guilty of egging them on by winding it out in first a little longer than normal :)

First light and he wasn't interested, but we manage to catch the second light and he looks more attentive.. Light goes green and we nail it at the same time. The air is cool and the DR's have had an hour of freeway time so they hook pretty well. He's at my bumper when the DR's loose grip near the top of first and he pulls up to about the back of my door, fighting HARD (if you're not running DR's on a pullied Terminator and you keep loosing off the line, this is why. DR's make a H*U*G*E difference!!) I hit 2nd and the 315 Nitto's flat up HOOK- the SRT8 quickly drops back a full car length behind.. always worried about the picky 3rd gear, but I get lucky and nail it. By mid-3rd, he's a good 2-3 cars back and fading pretty fast.

Overall they're strong from a dig; stronger than say an Evo or STi IMHO, more like a C5 off the line, very strong cars. If I was in the market for something in that range the SRT8 (Jeep or Charger) would be my first pick, they are supprisingly quick. :pepper:

Untamed

Established Member
what kind off SRT-8 was it????? 300,Magnum,charger,SUV...

Yeah those 6.1L are animals, my friend has a c300 SRT-8 they come with 20's 245 Goodyears stock, he dead takes me from a dig, but from a roll of about 40-50 I always get the jump but by 80 90 he catches up and at 130-40 he puts 2 cars on me. But at 51k that car better do some....

Quik Z06

Established Member
Nice run, but if their quicker than an Evo or STi off the line its because they cant drive their cars. In my Evo I never lost to a single car off the line not even if they were on drag radials.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
Was on my way home late a few nights ago, not really paying attention since I'd been on the freeway for an our and was off on surface street, but it's a holiday week and traffic was almost non-existant.

A nice black sedan goes blowing by me and I noticed the large wheels (19"s?), blacked out windows..and and SRT 8 badge :coolman: Next light comes up and we're side by side. Generally I wait for the other guy to nail it, but I am guilty of egging them on by winding it out in first a little longer than normal :)

First light and he wasn't interested, but we manage to catch the second light and he looks more attentive.. Light goes green and we nail it at the same time. The air is cool and the DR's have had an hour of freeway time so they hook pretty well. He's at my bumper when the DR's loose grip near the top of first and he pulls up to about the back of my door, fighting HARD (if you're not running DR's on a pullied Terminator and you keep loosing off the line, this is why. DR's make a H*U*G*E difference!!) I hit 2nd and the 315 Nitto's flat up HOOK- the SRT8 quickly drops back a full car length behind.. always worried about the picky 3rd gear, but I get lucky and nail it. By mid-3rd, he's a good 2-3 cars back and fading pretty fast.

Overall they're strong from a dig; stronger than say an Evo or STi IMHO, more like a C5 off the line, very strong cars. If I was in the market for something in that range the SRT8 (Jeep or Charger) would be my first pick, they are supprisingly quick. :pepper:

Funny I hated my nitto drags...I think my BFG KDW hook better then them

TrickStang37

Established Member
good kill

on a side note, from my experience, a cold drag radial (i.e. a drag radial with no burn out) will NEVER hook up as well as a cold/normal street tire. not even close. if your racing without a burnout on drag radials, your putting yourself at a disadvantage and are wasting the tire/$$. i kept throwing away money on nitto drag radials in my old 5.0 every 8-12k miles because i was scared of going back to street tires but it was the smartest choice i made. more traction AND money saved. freeway time will not get them hot enough, sh!t, a hot summer day still isnt even better. heated up tho, they cant compare to a street tire.

AirForce Hemi

Kenne Bell FTW
Established Member
Untamed said:
what kind off SRT-8 was it????? 300,Magnum,charger,SUV...

Yeah those 6.1L are animals, my friend has a c300 SRT-8 they come with 20's 245 Goodyears stock, he dead takes me from a dig, but from a roll of about 40-50 I always get the jump but by 80 90 he catches up and at 130-40 he puts 2 cars on me. But at 51k that car better do some....

Think your buddy got raped at the dealer. I've seen them go for 40-42k.

Hell they had them on sale up here in Alaska for 38K.....I almost traded my truck in for it. 300c Black SRT-8...:eek:

Good kill man. SRT-8s can be no joke.

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
Since you said Sedan I'm guessing it was a Charger? Either way any SRT8 is pretty bad-azz, but no match for an '03-'04 Cobra (except MAYBE a stock one with less than average driver). From what I have heard they are on par for a stock LS1 car. I'm guessing that once the aftermarket pics up for those cars, we might all start getting surprised by them.

They do look nice. I was shopping for a new car for my girlfriend at the local dodge dealership and they had a red Daytona with lambo doors, 20s, and a shaker hood. It was pretty slick (and trust me I'm not into super huge wheels and "pimped rides"). The interior on those things is pretty nice.

GLHS837

Established Member
Good kill, nice respect:)

51K would be either an early buyer, or someone who didnt practice due diligence in purchasing. MSRP on a loaded 300C is around 45K, maybe 46K. This summer, it was possible to use the Employee Purchase Plan to get one for right around 41-42K.

LittleMT

Established Member
GLHS837 said:
Good kill, nice respect:)

51K would be either an early buyer, or someone who didnt practice due diligence in purchasing. MSRP on a loaded 300C is around 45K, maybe 46K. This summer, it was possible to use the Employee Purchase Plan to get one for right around 41-42K.

You got a SRT-8 Daddy-o???

Grooovy!!

Now turbo it!

TRXboy

Established Member
TrickStang37 said:
good kill

on a side note, from my experience, a cold drag radial (i.e. a drag radial with no burn out) will NEVER hook up as well as a cold/normal street tire. not even close. if your racing without a burnout on drag radials, your putting yourself at a disadvantage and are wasting the tire/$$. i kept throwing away money on nitto drag radials in my old 5.0 every 8-12k miles because i was scared of going back to street tires but it was the smartest choice i made. more traction AND money saved. freeway time will not get them hot enough, sh!t, a hot summer day still isnt even better. heated up tho, they cant compare to a street tire.

Ive never heard that before.

GLHS837

Established Member
LittleMT said:
You got a SRT-8 Daddy-o???

Grooovy!!

Now turbo it!

Yep, Luce, got it around the end of August, Employee pricing was good to me:) SRT-4 rolled south to P-cola, FL, yesterday in the hands of a young man whom I hope respects the power of what he's bought.

No mods for -8 for a while, other priorities for a while. :coolman:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I have to disagree. My nittos worked great on the street, even in the rain when they have tread. All other drs are better at the track, but the nitto has been the best all around tire I've found. And after riding around awhile they hooked pretty decent. At least as good as u could expect when 500hp pounds them in the ground. I also cut a 1.70 60' at SDR with them.

turbo6guy

Established Member
I found that with 18lbs in mine they hook almost as good on the street as they do on the track(Nittos)

Users who are viewing this thread