SRT8 vs. 03 Cobra

03miamisnake

Established Member
rk_2000_Z/28 said:
Since you said Sedan I'm guessing it was a Charger? Either way any SRT8 is pretty bad-azz, but no match for an '03-'04 Cobra (except MAYBE a stock one with less than average driver). From what I have heard they are on par for a stock LS1 car. I'm guessing that once the aftermarket pics up for those cars, we might all start getting surprised by them.

They do look nice. I was shopping for a new car for my girlfriend at the local dodge dealership and they had a red Daytona with lambo doors, 20s, and a shaker hood. It was pretty slick (and trust me I'm not into super huge wheels and "pimped rides"). The interior on those things is pretty nice.

The 300 is also a sedan.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good kill man.. id like to run an srt8 to see how the L with the pulley does.. i think id take a stock one.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
SRT-8s run very low 13s to high 12s stock. If your quicker than that, you will take one.:thumbsup:

bmfgsxr

Established Member
truck should be in the same ballpark with what i have on it so it would be good.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My nittos had no grip after 1,000 miles. I went from BFG DR to Nitto Dr to BFG KDW-2's. The BFG Dr had great grip but felt uneasy in higher speed turns and sucked in the rain. Nittos felt more comfortable on the street than BFG but lack the grip for take off....I was spinning tires off soft launches. My BFG KDW-2 have pretty decent grip and changed the whole way my car drove. I feel very comfortable in high speed turns. They also are pretty decent in the rain for a HP tire.

F8LSNAKE said:
I have to disagree. My nittos worked great on the street, even in the rain when they have tread. All other drs are better at the track, but the nitto has been the best all around tire I've found. And after riding around awhile they hooked pretty decent. At least as good as u could expect when 500hp pounds them in the ground. I also cut a 1.70 60' at SDR with them.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I think the 6.1L Hemi is probably one of the best naturally aspirated performance engines in many years and the SRT-8 line forms the backbone of the PVO for DaimlerChrysler. I absolutely fell in love with the black 300C SRT-8 I saw at the show last year. Best factory seats for the money (same in Charger/Magnum model) and the look, feel of the car just jives great with the price. If I had a near $40 grand to drop on one, I sure would...except, the reality of rising gas prices next spring probably would have me second-guessing that notion.

TEABG

Banned
Quik Z06 said:
Nice run, but if their quicker than an Evo or STi off the line its because they cant drive their cars. In my Evo I never lost to a single car off the line not even if they were on drag radials.

EVO :loser:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Sorry - yes, it was a Charger! With a turbo that would be one sick ride..

Drag radials- Absolutly without a doubt the DR's, even when not fully warmed up, are still far superior in a straight line than any street tire hands down. On KD's (and KDW's) you simply can't go WOT until you're in 3rd and forget about power-shifting 2nd gear unless you like going down the road sideways. With over 90,000 miles and an 85 mile a day commute, I've gone through several sets of tires and DR's in 275 & 315 sizes (and yes, at freeway speeds after an hour the DR's are sticky and slightly warm) and street tires are just not grippy enough.

Even cold dr's are still good. You might slide sideways through first, but you're sliding a lot less than on even the best street tire and the slide is MUCH more controlled. Even stone cold they're a better tire. KEEP IN MIND my perspective comes from southern CA, not Nebraska. I doubt the DR's would be worth it on a 35 degree day unless they were prepped and warm.

TrickStang37

Established Member
stone cold they are not a better tire, far from it. i get better traction in my cheap knock off tires than cold (unheated) drag radials. drag radials were simply not designed to work well unheated, the intention is to heat them up. otherwise, your wasting money. my friend in his 99 cammed LS1, as well as my other friend in his modded 96 cobra have experienced for themselves in making the same mistake as i did in buying them for a daily driver and expecting more than a regular street tire would offer. there is just no benefit. this is from a northern californian's perspective.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
TrickStang37 said:
stone cold they are not a better tire, far from it. i get better traction in my cheap knock off tires than cold (unheated) drag radials. drag radials were simply not designed to work well unheated, the intention is to heat them up. otherwise, your wasting money. my friend in his 99 cammed LS1, as well as my other friend in his modded 96 cobra have experienced for themselves in making the same mistake as i did in buying them for a daily driver and expecting more than a regular street tire would offer. there is just no benefit. this is from a northern californian's perspective.

I had the same experience running DOT R-compound roadrace tires on mine. Not as much grip as a street tire until they're warmed up. But I must say that my M/T ET Street radials are so soft that they're still much grippier than any street tire when cold.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice kill. Cool to see an SRT-8 getting props from modded Cobra(s)!!

Oh, there is a no-cost option for 255/45/20 Goodyear F1s in the rear on the Charger SRT-8 (maybe others) and they hook pretty well. The standard 245/45/20 RSAs suck.

However, when cold, like any soft-compound tire, they are a bit hard and slippery.

Last edited:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
Nice run, but if their quicker than an Evo or STi off the line its because they cant drive their cars. In my Evo I never lost to a single car off the line not even if they were on drag radials.

You ran the wrong colt, I mean car. :D

TrickStang37

Established Member
Trick Pony said:
I had the same experience running DOT R-compound roadrace tires on mine. Not as much grip as a street tire until they're warmed up. But I must say that my M/T ET Street radials are so soft that they're still much grippier than any street tire when cold.
i agree with the ET Streets.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Trick Pony said:

Until they heat cycle a few times. Guys brand new DR's are nice and sticky when they are new, even when it's cold. It's once they heat cycle a few times and then they get hard and are not sticky anymore, then you have to get them hot to get them to stick.

Users who are viewing this thread