Stall after wide open throttle???

99BOSS

Established Member
Hey all, today I was out on the freeway making some pulls and once when I let off the gas, I was coasting back down and noticed I had become a glider! No engine running anymore. It was a straight road, so I coasted down to about 35 and hit the key. Started right up and ran fine. About a half hour later, doing some runs from a dig, I let off at about 70 and the same thing happened again. Now this has never happened before. Its a 04 and I do have the K&N fipk. I read some older posts where this had come loose and caused this prob. I tightened the clamps last week a couple turns just as a precaution. Is this the prob? I thought 04s had a diff code to prevent the 03 "stall". Is this what Im experiencing? Car runs fine other than that and these are the only 2 times its happened. Its a AMZ1 code if that means anything. Any input? Thanks guys!

numbaonestunna

Established Member
AMZ1 has the "stall fix". I didn't know anyone else still had stalling problems... any other issues with your car other than stall? You might have something more serious.

autoxstang

Coyote Lover
Established Member
Mine is doing the same exact thing but mine would not idle unless I hold the throttle down. Bad thing about mine though is that it left me on the side of the road and I had to call roadside assitance to come tow the car to the dealership today so i'll find out more monday :(

99BOSS

Established Member
autoxstang: Mine wasnt quite that bad. It would start just like normal. Sorry to hear your misfortune. Keep us updated on what they find out or determine the problem is. Good luck!

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
99BOSS said:
autoxstang: Mine wasnt quite that bad. It would start just like normal. Sorry to hear your misfortune. Keep us updated on what they find out or determine the problem is. Good luck!

I was haveing a stalling problem on my cobra also. After the second time shutting off on me, I brought it in. Here is what they did. It was a sticking IAC Valve. They replaced it and then they reprogramed PCM per SSM 16293 ???? I have had no stalling problems sense. I have a MAC CAI.

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

Vegas

03Cobra19

Established Member
My 03 cobra was doing the exact same thing... I took it in twice and the dealership found nothing wrong. Then it started pissing me off (3 times a one week) so I took it in a third time... Well after 50 hrs or labor they found a valve seal on cylinder 6 had a crack in it. My car is in pieces right now. They've had it for over two weeks.. I want it back so bad!!
But who knows if that was the reason for the stalling at 35ish mph... wtf!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have your PCM re-flashed by Ford. This issue has been well documented here. It's dangerous IMO to let it go any longer than you have to. Can't think of anything worse or more scary than having my car stall in the 3rd lane on the freeway in heavy traffic. Or making a turn against traffic coming the other way. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread