stalled at 55mph lost control on exit ramp

2MuchHP

Established Member
Coming home from work tonight I was decelerating off of the highway onto an exit ramp at about 80mph. At about 55 I downshifted, maybe a bit slow in neutral but the car stalled at about 55mph on the exit ramp.

With no power sterring I couldnt hold the curve well and started going across the gravel and grass.... once the car was back in a straight line I started the car...at 35 mph.

The car is garaged until I get time to de-mod and get it into the dealer for reflashing... that shit isnt something to mess around with.

Don't wait guys this was my 1st stall in a long time..get it flashed adn pray to god it works.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Mine stalls all the time in the mornings.. I was told its my C&L mass air meter?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by o3SnakeBite
Mine stalls all the time in the mornings.. I was told its my C&L mass air meter?
Who told you that? Your dealer?

Take it in and have your PCM reflashed ASAP.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
it's not your c&l...trust me on that. my 03 stalled all the time when new before i did anything to the motor. put on a c&l and ..... BINGO! still stalls just like before. no more, no less. i want to get the re-flash, but i've been told by some i have to take out my diablo chip and get it reprogrammed. others have said i can leave it in and it won't affect it. until i get a clear and truthful answer, i'm living with the stall.

mike69440

Established Member
Not your air cleaner

Under certain conditions an aftermaket air clearner can cause problems resulting in an engine stall.

Sometimes my aftermaket Amazon CAI will cause a stalling problem under the following situations.

Dropping into neutral when driving along in a heavy head or cross wind at +80, especially on very damp days, or when I want to coast the next mile and a half to the next exit when when driving in excess of....... ,er, um, better not say, will often cause a stall. MAF sees too much turbulence.

Keeping car in gear is good idea!

Cars that have the stalling problem, have the stalling problem. Mod's have little effect on the Ford stalling problem. It is a prexisting conditon.

The stalling problem you are experienceing is due to a FORD problem. Apparently some people at Ford would rather risk our lives rather than put the cost and effort to fix this stalling problem.

Rapidly lifting off throttle and dropping in neutral and low speed stalls (under 70 MPH or so) are FORD problems. TB's and CAI, properly installed do not cause this, Ford's lack of Fuel/Air Management does!

Mike69440

Brad

Banned
I took mine out last week for the first time all winter. It stalled trying to get onto the highway and I had to bust for the breakdown lane. Its running fine now though, never stalled before, well, not including when I was running the densecharger.

I nearly got rear ended by a mac truck, not cool

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Originally posted by WOLFGANGSTA
it's not your c&l...trust me on that. my 03 stalled all the time when new before i did anything to the motor. put on a c&l and ..... BINGO! still stalls just like before. no more, no less. i want to get the re-flash, but i've been told by some i have to take out my diablo chip and get it reprogrammed. others have said i can leave it in and it won't affect it. until i get a clear and truthful answer, i'm living with the stall.
your chip will need to be reprogramed, if you have the reflash done do not leave it in the car as i belive the chip will then be as good as a paper weight
some of us lightning guys khave had reflashes done and the chip did not work after this

mike69440

Established Member
Conspiracy Theory

The Cobra ECU is Programed to stall itermittently and never when driven by Ford tech's. They have a secret radio transmitter chip implanted in their brain that works in conjuncton with the Car's ECU to prevent the stalls.:lol: :lol:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
As much as you shouldnt have to worry about it, best advice I have for you is to change your driving habbits and dont coast.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
2MuchHP,

Sorry to hear about your near accident. I had that happen to me last November after the hOOters meet. I popped the clutch to start the engine...

I thought you were driving to work again. I have been hearing your car down on Jefferson. You giving it a bit of a rev'?

Those stingers are awesome.

9900blueoval

Established Member
why not just downshift?? i know its a pain in the ass but had the car 12000 miles now and only one stall in 100 degree heat (stock)now after mods and downshifting every stoplight xit ramp no stall!! it sounds killer w/ offroad and flows too!!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I got the reflash today. Driven about 30 miles so far under all conditions. Tried to get it to stall. Couldn't. Rock solid 800 RPM idle. It used to dip down to 500 RPMs and then stall, but I couldn't get it to do it. It still may eventually, but it felt like a whole different car during start-up, idle, and when going to stop in neutral.

Be safe and get it reflashed. If nothing else it should help and will get something on paper that you reported the problem. Ford will be held responsible to some extent then.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
2muchHP,
glad to hear you and the car are ok. What time do you usually go into work? Since I moved up to the 13th floor, I haven't heard any cars, let alone a sweet sounding cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread