Stalling Is Back! Any Ideas?

Matt M PA

Established Member
Hi guys....let me start at the beginning.

When my Cobra had about 4000 miles it started the stalling thing. Ya know, coasting with the clutch in...it shuts off. Sometimes at very bad times.

The car was about 8 months old and the dealer re-flashed the computer. The car still stalled.

I should say that it doesn't stall on a regular enough occasion to really know exactly what will cause it to stall. Sometimes it will stall twice in one day...then it won;t stall for months.

Anyhow...the next time it went to the dealer they did something with the TB, although I never got a receipt, so I'm not sure. It stalled twice later that day.

This Spring, the delaer installed a flight recorder to watch what the car was doing. I was able to capture a stall after driving with this in teh car for weeks. It was decided that it was the IAC, and this was replaced.

Two weeks ago, it stalled again. On Friday it goes to the dealer for a set of tires and hopefully to get the stall thing squared away.

One more bit of info that may help. When shifting, I notice the RPMs rise slightly on each shift. I seem to remember that this was part of the stalling issue.

I really want to get this fixed. I think it now falls under Lemon Law status, but I can't get another Cobra. My concern is that if I were to have an accident caused by this stalling, I'd have some real problems to deal with. Knowing the way lawyers are today...since I knew the car had a problem..I'd be at fault.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Verify the computer flash that was put on your car. It should be HSF0 if they did what they were supposed to do.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I assume you have told them that it is still stalling. What did they say? It sounds like you're being VERY patient with them.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Thanks for the ideas guys. In fact, I had a meeting with the owner last night.

I work with this dealer, and they are well aware of the problem. I also know the SVT Tech and he is excellent.

I really thought the problem was fixed last time.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
The RPM fluctuation on shifting appears to be normal. Mine only stalled 2 times since I've had it and it's never been reflashed. 2 years and 18,000 miles. Stalled first week I had it and about 2 months later. Hasn't happened since.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
traktrbeam said:
The RPM fluctuation on shifting appears to be normal. Mine only stalled 2 times since I've had it and it's never been reflashed. 2 years and 18,000 miles. Stalled first week I had it and about 2 months later. Hasn't happened since.
Be careful. If your car has even stalled once, you should get a reflash. If you have a chip or other tune, be sure it incorporates the fix. Here's the deal. Just because you haven't experienced a stall in months doesn't mean it won't happen again. It could happen at the worse possible time. Mine stalled twice in one year. Doesn't seem a lot, but the second time it was scary. My bigger question would be why anyone with an '03 wouldn't get a reflash.

Matt M PA

Established Member
I take mine tomorrow for tires and the stall. As said above, I am really between a rock and a had place with the stalling. There's no other car I'd rather have, but I am growing more concerned that this cannot be repaired. I'm not afraid of the car, but with the randomness of the stalling, I seem to get lulled into trusting that it will not stall...then it does.

I suppose the IAC could again be the culprit as it did not stall all summer...but who knows with a random thing. I'll keep you guys informed.

(Off topic, but in case someone is wondering...they are putting on a set of Goodyear F1 GSD3s)

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Be careful. If your car has even stalled once, you should get a reflash. If you have a chip or other tune, be sure it incorporates the fix. Here's the deal. Just because you haven't experienced a stall in months doesn't mean it won't happen again. It could happen at the worse possible time. Mine stalled twice in one year. Doesn't seem a lot, but the second time it was scary. My bigger question would be why anyone with an '03 wouldn't get a reflash.

LOL THATS THE TRUTH-- before i got the reflash,mine stalled coming down an off ramp at about 60 lost power steering, scared the ba-jesus out of me :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I8URZ28 said:
LOL THATS THE TRUTH-- before i got the reflash,mine stalled coming down an off ramp at about 60 lost power steering, scared the ba-jesus out of me :beer:
Did you post that instance here a couple of months ago? If not, that very thing happened to someone else here. Happening to the wrong person it could be disasterous. At least you've got it fixed. :)

I8URZ28

Established Member
I might of can't remember but I tell you what after that--I changed my shorts and went and got it fixed--it could definately turn into a nasty situation real fast :beer:

trendkilllx

Established Member
Had the same problem and they did the reflash (03 cobra) and also replaced the throttle position control unit and has not stalled since.

I8URZ28

Established Member
No idea-- there is a TSP on it though the dealer that I go through here knew about it

Users who are viewing this thread