stalling really getting annoying

cobrablue

Established Member
my car stalled again tonight. luckily this time at a light, not in front of a tractor trailer or when im making a turn like it usually does. this sucks, im embarrassed to race anyone because im afraid of stalling at the finish and look like a total ass. is there anything new on this yet or are they going to wait for someone to get killed first? i reset my pcm and it stops for a few days then it slowly creeps back in and starts regularly again. im so used to it now i just retart it by habit. any suggestions would be appreciated. :gt:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrablue
my car stalled again tonight. luckily this time at a light, not in front of a tractor trailer or when im making a turn like it usually does. this sucks, im embarrassed to race anyone because im afraid of stalling at the finish and look like a total ass. is there anything new on this yet or are they going to wait for someone to get killed first? i reset my pcm and it stops for a few days then it slowly creeps back in and starts regularly again. im so used to it now i just retart it by habit. any suggestions would be appreciated. :gt:

Have you tried adjusting the idle? That's supposed to be a short term fix. The last word I heard was that the computer needs to be reprogrammed (supposedly a known issue now at Ford). :shrug:

Grey03

Established Member
My car has the same problem and so do many others. Ford is aware of the problem, but have no fix as of yet. I have it in writing from the dealership that they contacted Ford's hotline and they said that Ford said they are aware of the problem and for the dealer to monitor "Oasis" for a fix, when it becomes available. I agree with you that it is a very dangerous situation and Ford is opening thenselves up to some major law suits. I wonder if anyone has contacted the NTSB about the problem, that might get Ford off their a$$.

03DOHC

Established Member
I dunno why. I removed the silencer and lifted the negative battery cable at the same time. Car stalled 3 times in about the same amount of days, but hasn't stalled again. 2nd run car. Stock, w/removed silencer.

agbulit

Established Member
ive had my car for about 6 weks now with no problems until tonight. i was on my waay home and comming to a stop at a lightwhen the car just died. i restarted it immidiately with no problems and the rest of my drive home was uneventful. i thought you guys were crazy, but i'm now on board. i hope t doesnt become a regular occurance...in any event, they have to get this fixed!

:mj:

EVL'03COBRA

Established Member
The '03 Cobra stalled twice after about 30 min. of driving with the Cold Air Ducting Mod.^):mj:(^ Both times during down shift with clutch engaged. Removed the Cold Air Ducting Mod. Its been at least 12 weeks now with no stall problems.

Black Cobra

Established Member
Mine will stall every once in a while. Always in the morning after sitting all night. Always when I come to my first stop sign that's about 2 tenths of a mile away. That's it. Never has stalled after the first 1/2 mile. Never in the evening coming home after work after sitting for 9 hours. Never has stalled with the A/C on.

So what takes 10-15 hours to be affected in some way as to cause the engine to stall when braking to a stop during the first 1/2 miles with the clutch disengaged?

Honest Mike

Established Member
Not to stir things up, but if it happened once, it will happen again. I work for my dad, he owns a gas station/auto repair shop and we have many customers with all different makes and models. The number 1 complaint with Fords is stalling. I have many customers with Ford vehicles, and their forever coming in and telling us it stalled on them, but started right back up. Im not joking here guys, Fords are very prone to stalling, and i dont know why either, but when someone comes in my shop and tells us how their car stalled or shut off when drove up to a red light, were like, let me guess, you drive a Ford right? Their always amazed that we guessed what make they drove. Im not trying to put you guys down or make fun of Ford, but im just telling you, dont feel bad cause your Cobra stalls, every customer that comes in my shop, who drives a Ford vehicle at one time or another complained of it stalling for no apparent reason. It always startes back up and may not do it again for a while, or it will do it again the very same day, but once it starts happening, it will do it more than once. There has to be a reason obviously, but seems no one knows why including the dealers. I used to have a 1990 mustang lx 5.0 5 spd that i bought used and had owned for 2 years, that car stalled a few times on me for no reason, i would be slowing down to get ready to make a turn and boom, it would shut off. Very strange, now im not gonna start an arguement, but i have to say this, ive owned my camaro ss for 4 and a 1/2 years and it never stalled once, never even gave a loping idle to hint it may stall. Fords are very prone to stalling and loping idles, you dont have to believe me and you can flame away if you want, but i came to give u guys some input so u dont think its just the 2003 cobra that stalls, cause it goes way beyond that one car that Ford made. Mike

Last edited:

Black Cobra

Established Member
Mike 97 SS,

A quick search of the Internet tells us that engines stalling while stopping/braking and engines stalling in general is a problem that is common to all makes and models, just not Ford and just not the '03 Cobra. The reasons are many, I just want to know which one is causing the '03 Cobras to stall. FWIW, my '98 Cobra has never stalled.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Black Cobra
Mike 97 SS,

A quick search of the Internet tells us that engines stalling while stopping/braking and engines stalling in general is a problem that is common to all makes and models, just not Ford and just not the '03 Cobra. The reasons are many, I just want to know which one is causing the '03 Cobras to stall. FWIW, my '98 Cobra has never stalled.
Or my '97 Cobra. I do remember the older EECIV equipped Fords stalling and/or rough idle. Easy fix though.

EVL'03COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Mike 97 SS
"The number 1 complaint with Fords is stalling. I have many customers with Ford vehicles, and their forever coming in and telling us it stalled on them, but started right back up. Im not joking here guys, Fords are very prone to stalling, and i dont know why either,"

"every customer that comes in my shop, who drives a Ford vehicle at one time or another complained of it stalling for no apparent reason."

"There has to be a reason obviously, but seems no one knows why including the dealers."

"i have to say this, ive owned my camaro ss for 4 and a 1/2 years and it never stalled once, never even gave a loping idle to hint it may stall."

"Fords are very prone to stalling and loping idles, you dont have to believe me and you can flame away if you want, but i came to give u guys some input so u dont think its just the 2003 cobra that stalls, cause it goes way beyond that one car that Ford made." Mike
There is something very wrong in East Hanover, N.J. isn't there Mike...

I've owned and driven eight Ford vehicles over the past nineteen years. Four of the eight cars are Mustangs. Two of the four Mustangs are SVT products. None of the vehicles, not a single one, except the '03 Cobra, has ever stalled. The '03 Cobra has only stalled twice and I know what caused the stall.

Thanks for trying to make us feel better Mike, but no thanks to your rhetoric. Your experience might work for the folks in Hanover but it's not going to work for the rest of us. You'll have to do better next time. Oh! Sorry Mike, they tell me there won't be a next time for you.

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Or my '97 Cobra.

I too had a '97 Cobra, no problems whatsoever with that car. Don't have a stall problem so far with my 03 (thank the cobra gods).

My Mother's Ford Escape has a stall problem however, and she has talked with other Ford Escape owners, most say they have a stall issue as well.

:shrug:

logan_yomtov

Established Member
Mine car stalled a few times will completely STOCK. I put on UPR cai and a magnaflow x pipe and it still stalls. I talked to the service manager at lew web ford and he told me ford was looking into a solution also. Hopefully they'll arrive with one soon.

MyZinc03

Established Member
I had a 97 Cobra as well. Put 30,000 miles on it and it Never stalled. This is not a Ford issue. My 03 stalled on me once with only 500 miles on it. My idle at the time was close to 500rpm. I adjusted it to run at 750 and have not had the problem yet. We shall see. Im sure Ford will address the issue, these cars are still very new.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by MyZinc03
This is not a Ford issue.

I agree, we've had 6 Ford's in the family over the last ten years, none have ever stalled like that...

Originally posted by MyZinc03
Im sure Ford will address the issue, these cars are still very new

I thought they had a new ECU program out for the second run cars to address this.. I guess not? :shrug:

Honest Mike

Established Member
Ok be immature and bash away. I know what im saying is true. Ive been around cars many years and so has the rest of my family. I came here just to put my 2 cents in and try to help, not bash or put your cars down, next time ill keep my mouth shut. Cars are all the same all over, im sure if what im seeing in NJ, some other mechanics are seeing elsewhere. Im not lying, and its not possible its just my customers, it has to be going on in other shops too. Mike

Mako

Established Member
My Lincoln has never stalled, My parents Mercury Grand Marqe never stalled, neither of my mom's tauruses ever stalled and my dads 90 Mustang GT never stalled. Weird, I guess we are all just lucky so far huh

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Let me think. My 70 Camaro SS 396, 70 Buick GSX, 79 Ford E150, 81 Buick Skylark, 83 Chevrolet Malibu Classic, 84 Buick Regal T-Type, 85 Corvette, 87 Buick Grand National, 88 Chevrolet Beretta GT, 90 Pontiac Turbo Gran Prix, 93 Lincoln Mark VIII, 93 Lexus SC400, 96 Lexus LS430, 98 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 and 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. V8 never stalled. And come to think of it, my 2003 Cobra has yet to stall (knock on wood). I guess I'm lucky in that regard. Boy that's a lot of iron I've gone through over the years, not to mention the motorcycles, and they were all bought new. Too many toys! But it's fun.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Yea sounds to me that you guys are lucky so far. No seriously though for the record, my dad has a 2000 town car that never stalled and my brother had a 94 mark 8 that he leased for 3 years and that never stalled either, but what i said about having many customers with Fords that stall was true. Were just a general maintenance shop we dont get into those stalling issues or check engine light issues, we send them to either the Ford dealer where one of my brothers good buddies is the mechanic or another local shop where they have thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment. It does happen alot and i was just trying to make some of you feel better knowing that its not just your Cobra that stalls, alot of other Fords stall too. Hey im not saying only Ford vehicles stall and no other make, i have seen other makes have stalling issues too, but it seems to happen alot on Fords judging by my area and my customers. Here ill put Chevy down too, all the LT1 motors leak motor oil out of the intake gasket, its a known thing and yes my camaro ss does it too, not bad,never needs oil to be added, but its seaping. You put it on the lift and its wet underneath, not soaked but wet enough that you can see a drip or 2 hanging off and i have a few spots in my garage. Every make has their own problems, i wont argue that. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread