Starting over.....what would you do? (Whipple?)

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
If you knew from the beginning you were going Whipple (15psi) and stock bottom end (for a while), what supporting mods would you do? (Fuel, suspension, ignition, tranny, etc....?)

I just picked up a ALL STOCK low mileage Lightning and was thinking of what to do with it.....? :shrug:

I've been searching for a month and really don't know what I want to do and can't decide..... :??: :mj: :??:

typhoon43

Established Member
You'll need A cold Air Kit and new plugs at bare minimum.
Step it up to a Bassani/Magnaflow cat back as well. The stock exhaust on these trucks look Ghetto as fook.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It's pretty obvious what blower I'm going to tell you to get lol. The only things I feel you HAVE to have are: 60# injectors, bigger MAF, Walbro 255 pumps, and a solid tune. Others might tell you it's not necessary but my truck has stayed together so far so that's what I recommend. As far as other mods to go faster, it's the same pretty much across the board: longtubes, highflow cats, catback, torque converter, traction bars, etc.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Whipple $4000
KB $2600
They both are proving big HP makers for the Lightning. JDM has the Whipple making some nice numbers on the 1320. The KB isn't too far off.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
THUNDER BOLT said:
Whipple $4000
KB $2600
They both are proving big HP makers for the Lightning. JDM has the Whipple making some nice numbers on the 1320. The KB isn't too far off.

You can get a Whipple for $3800, a KB is $3000. In order to maximize the KB you really need a JLP plenum though, and that's another $700(?) give or take. The cost is relatively equal.

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Either blower will take your stock motor as far as it'll go. I had a best of 11.67 on 17psi of KB boost. BUT now that I have a built motor I wouldn't trade my whipple for anything. Just wait till after this sunday. I'll post some #'s that'll sway you towards the whipple............. ha ha

Lightning1

Established Member
for the $3800 whipple, you get a CAI. I believe there may still be a racer package for a bit cheaper.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Sinister04L said:
Hmm. Must be a new pricelist or something. This is what I had based my info off of:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/lightning54.pdf

Oh well, like you said, they both kick the shit out of the stock Eaton!
Thats what I was saying. The Whipple has come into its own with some very impressive 1320 numbers.
The KB is a more economical way of getting into big HP

Users who are viewing this thread