STD & SAE Dyno #'s

Jevans74

Established Member
What is the difference between STD correction and SAE correction. I had my car dyno tuned today and my #'s were 439 rwhp SAE and 450 rwhp STD. Mods to date are UPR Cold air intake, Autologic chip dyno tuned by Houston Performance, 2.93 Pulley, NGK TR6 plugs, Bassani X w/cats & catback. Are most people on here posting there STD numbers or what?

Last edited:

CWCobra

Established Member
Guy I know dyno'd only 385 RWHP on a "Mustang" dyno...WTF????

He's got silencer removed, 2.80 pulley, NGK TR6 plugs, Diablo chip.

WTF??? How come not closer to 420 or so?

Later,
CW

boostm3

Established Member
Because you cant compare a Mustang Dynos results with a Dynojets results. Different types of dynos with different types of results.

larryc7777

Established Member
I must admit, I'm a little confused on the terms used to describe HP & Torque output. I keep seeing Std & SAE mentioned. Is this referring to uncorrected(actual) HP and corrected(to SAE J1349)? If so, here's why this is done. If you were to dyno a car at sea level, in cool, dry weather weather, it would make more power than if you were to dyno the exact same car at high altitude on a very hot & humid day. The car hasn't changed, merely the environment has changed. So, to equalize the differences encountered in different parts of the world and allow for more comparable dyno results, "correction factors" have been devised to modify the actual output figures to remove the effects of altitude, temprature, humidity, ect. The resulting figures are designed to represent HP & Torque output as if each of the different vehicles were tested on the same dyno on the same day with the same weather conditions. HOWEVER, due to the differences & condition of the dynos, the SAE figures are likely to be slightly off because the uncorrected figures were that way. For instance, a brand new Dynojet," top of the line, just left the factory with perfect calibration" dyno will probably give different readings than a "5 year old, had the balls run off, never been calibrated" dyno. Even if you could dyno the same car in exactly the same conditions on each of the dynos. This said, corrected numbers are really the only way to compare dyno output in a fair manner. But for the individual, the uncorrected numbers are very useful if you want to know your power output for your area & your weather conditions. If you plan to make modifications between dyno pulls on the same day, uncorrected numbers are also useful. I hope this info helps.

Smrgol

Actually, STD is another correction factor developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers. It uses a different set of reference values than the SAE (J1349) correction. A dynoject printout will usually show N/A for uncorrected data and the graphs will have no indication of correction on the axes.

Otherwise, spot on :).

Users who are viewing this thread