Steeda Catback ill-fit

tec7426

Established Member
The steeda catback I put on my '03 a couple weeks ago does not fit as well as stock. One of the hangers was not properly aligned, causing the fitment in the rubber mount to be cramped and in a bind. I ended up bending the hanger on the catback to get a better fit, but now seeing the pipes from the rear of the car lets you see one is a little lower than the other and does not look as clean as stock. I do like the sound however, but am disappointed in the craftsmanship.

goodquest

Established Member
was it the passanger side? I had to have my pipe and rear hanger
cut so it would fit right. Maybe it was this last production run. I think you and I ordered the Steeda at about the same time.

Last edited:

tec7426

Established Member
Originally posted by goodquest
was it the passanger side? I had to have my pipe and rear hanger
cut so it would fit right. Maybe it was this last production run. I think you and I ordered the Steeda at about the same time.

Yes, it's the passenger side. Must be a quality control issue. Most would not notice, but since it's mine, I do.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
My drivers side pipe sticks down and out alittle further the the passanger side. I probably could have got it right but my main concern was getting the pipes under the car where they bend away from each other level. Plus I was sick of messing with it on my back in the driveway. It has been this way for over a year and really doesn't bother me anymore.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by tec7426
The steeda catback I put on my '03 a couple weeks ago does not fit as well as stock. One of the hangers was not properly aligned, causing the fitment in the rubber mount to be cramped and in a bind. I ended up bending the hanger on the catback to get a better fit, but now seeing the pipes from the rear of the car lets you see one is a little lower than the other and does not look as clean as stock. I do like the sound however, but am disappointed in the craftsmanship.
Hmmm. I have the same catback. I am completely satisfied. Quality and fit are excellent. Alignment is perfect. :shrug:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Re: Re: Steeda Catback ill-fit

Originally posted by CobraBob
Hmmm. I have the same catback. I am completely satisfied. Quality and fit are excellent. Alignment is perfect. :shrug:

Same here.

goodquest

Established Member
I think you guys have different runs than me or tec7426 have (march 04). There is another guy that purchased around the same time as us I think his screen name was johnsol or something like that. It would be interesting if he had the same problems.

Last edited:

Orange Poison

Established Member
Must be....I noticed some pass. pipes real close to the inside of the black plastic cutout.

Mine tends to go outward a little more

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Here is mine, fit is great as well as the sound. I think the tips might not be 100% perfectly aligned, but it fits at least as good as the stock ones.

cobra5.jpg

goodquest

Established Member
Originally posted by johnsonl
Here is mine, fit is great as well as the sound. I think the tips might not be 100% perfectly aligned, but it fits at least as good as the stock ones.

cobra5.jpg

I don’t know if it’s the picture angle, but it seems both sides are a little low and off center.

outlw

Established Member
I got a set of pipes from Steeda a few months back and just opened them to install and on has a dent in it and they don't want to do shit about it... I am very mad right now... I placed an order and a guy named Mike said he would take care of it and I sent him pictures of it.. 1 day later they don't guess I will not accept the $700.00 in parts I ordered and buy them else where as well as the suspension parts I will need in the near future.

I would have not order the parts from them since I was under the terms of we will take care of it and make it good.

tec7426

Established Member
johnsonl: mine appear to be the same as yours in the pic you posted. The passenger side, going from center out toward the wheel seems to gradually slope downward. I can see more of that pipe than the other. Not a biggie, but it still bothers me some. The stock ones were the same and parallel to the ground. Oh well, may just be an illusion. Thanks.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
tec7426, yeah, it's really not a big deal, but I will probably loosen one of the clamps and adjust it a bit. I'll post another pic after the attempt.

Looks like the tip is higher on the passager side due to the sloping to the right underneath on the pipe.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, I got up under the car and adjusted it, but it looks the same. I really don't think I can get it any better.

Any suggestions? It would be nice to get the tips perfect.

Last edited:

twomustangs

Established Member
I installed the MAC pro chamber and 3/ 31/2 cat back today. I am really pleased with them. I was a little concern here so many negative things about MAC. Man what a difference! Sorry I was off topic

Orange Poison

Established Member
Johnsonl,

I think your tips look fine, aligned and everything. As a matter of fact, I have the Borla Stingers and they look exactly like your spacing.

Like you said, I don't think there is much you can do in terms of adjustment.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
You don't want them too close to the plastic. I touched one after a drive and the damn thing about burned me.

Oh, I have also checked the gas tank cover, no melting!

tec7426

Established Member
I had to bend (downward; closer to the exhaust pipe) one of the hangers on the pass side pipe because it did not fit properly in the rubber hanger (the rubber hanger was distorted and mis-aligned) and afterward seemed to fit pretty good. When I get a chance, I might drop the catback and try bending the hangers to try to get that "perfect look". Probably more trouble than it is worth, as close as it is now; same goes for yours as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread