Steeda Sport Springs - Tire Rub

tomsgarage

Established Member
I installed a set of Steeda Sport Springs and after a weekend at the track I am having an issue with the left front tire rubbing the inner fender shield. I was at Carolina Motorsports Park and entering Turn 14 after braking, and just before power on at the apex of the corner the left front tire made contact with the shield. It is the top of the tire rubbing, which produced a nice hole in the shield.

I am wondering what you guys would suggest to correct the problem. The rep at Steeda suggested stiffer front and rear sway bars, Maximum Motorsports suggested different springs and the Cobra R shocks, or coilovers.

All of my mods are in the signature, and the caster/camber plates are set for the street-aggressive, as I drive my car to and from the track. Also, my track tires are 275/40-17 Avon Tech R, and street tires are Goodyear Eagle F1. I did run the first 2 session with the street tires, as the track was beginning to dry, and did not have the issue under braking.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Don't get stiffer sway bars. Stiffer springs and shocks will help, but the rubbing really isn't a big deal. There is a harness under the drivers side fender liner. just make sure the harness is secure up in the fender. Mine has been rubbing for 2 years with no ill effects.

The liner is clearanced around the harness, and that stepped area in the liner is what is rubbing. It is pretty normal for it to rub on a lowered car.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If it's just the fender liner that's rubbing it's not a big deal. If the rub goes all the way to the wiring harness that IS a big deal!

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

tomsgarage

Established Member
Thanks for the replys!

It has rubbed a hole in the fender liner and exposed the wiring harness, but the harness show no sign of contact yet.....where the liner is clearanced around the harness is where the hole is, should I replace the liner and try to position better? Ideas, suggestions, or don't worry about it???

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the replys!

It has rubbed a hole in the fender liner and exposed the wiring harness, but the harness show no sign of contact yet.....where the liner is clearanced around the harness is where the hole is, should I replace the liner and try to position better? Ideas, suggestions, or don't worry about it???

Whatever you do, make sure the tire isn't rubbing on the harness. Make sure you have enough clearance for bumps encountered which will make the wheel travel higher.

If you can take out the fender liner and secure the harness up and out of the way you'd most likely be ok. Otherwise you're going to have to raise the car.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Get the H&R race springs with the isolators. This should raise the car about 1/4" and the springs are a little stiffer than the Steedas.

GCassidy had the same problem on his '98 Cobra. He switched to '95 Cobra R springs, which are similiarly rated as the H&R race, and his problem was solved. I am sure he will post a little more detail about this for you.

I also had some minor rubbing, but I have coilovers. So I just raised the car a little. I am using factory struts so I am at the max spring rate, 375#, the MM recomends.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Thanks for the replys!

Mine did the same thing. Did not contact the harness. I tacked the liner up higher and never had a problem with the harness. I got pretty low on compression. All sales reps try to sell things. They get commissions or have quotas. Beware the phone salesman at any aftermarket shop.
26294128_AnAxr-L.jpg

Last edited:

tomsgarage

Established Member
Thanks for the replys! I am currently working in San Antonio this week, and Chicago next week, so I have not had a chance to get the car up on stands since the track event. Lots of good info here, and as soon as I get a chance to work on the car I will let you all what I did to correct the problem.

tomsgarage

Established Member
I am getting ready to work on the car over the holidays, and was wondering what is involved with replacing the fender liner?

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Remove a few screws around the fender lip, remove the platic push tabs in various locations, then pull the fender liner out and reverse the connector process for reinstallation. Very easy.

Last edited:

tomsgarage

Established Member
I installed new fenderliner yesterday, a lot easier than I thought. The new liner does not have a ridge in it like the original one had where the wiring harness hides, as this was the point of contact on the tire rub. Everything is up and out of the way now, I hope. Will find out when I get back on track in March!

Now on to the Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Brace! I have had it for a year, picked it up second hand - never installed. Just wondering if this item is worth all the hassle of install?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Now on to the Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Brace! I have had it for a year, picked it up second hand - never installed. Just wondering if this item is worth all the hassle of install?

Here's a couple oldies but goodies.

Do strut tower braces do ANYTHING? - Corner-Carvers Forums

LOL...the 2nd biggest loser in the STB debate claims to be an ME and ASE cert mech... - Corner-Carvers Forums

I have one because I don't think it's worth the effort to remove it (except that one time I had to do plugs I almost did), but I don't know if I'd put one on. :shrug:

tomsgarage

Established Member
Wow... did not realize that there was this much "discussion" about STB! I am running out of vacation time and I think I will have a beer or two instead of messing with the brace at this time...guess I will save it for another time when and if I ever decide (meaning $$$) to go to coilovers. Thanks for the replys and Happy New Year! See ya at the track!

Users who are viewing this thread