Steeda Springs

RGrossman

Established Member
Steeda seems to have a set of 2003 Cobra specific springs available. Does anyone know how much they will lower the car? Looking for 1.5 front and back...

batfat

Established Member
I bought the 2003 specific Steeda springs and installed them with MM spring isolators. They advertise 1.25" and 1" drop. I got a 1/2" drop in the front and a 3/4" RISE in the back. Steeda told me to take out the lower isolator in the rear. We had to pull the rear springs 3 times to get the correct ride hieght. In 2 calls to Steeda they would not admit they screwed up (the '03/'04 Cobra was lowered 1" at the factory). I will NEVER buy another Steeda product, EVER.

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by batfat
I bought the 2003 specific Steeda springs and installed them with MM spring isolators. They advertise 1.25" and 1" drop. I got a 1/2" drop in the front and a 3/4" RISE in the back. Steeda told me to take out the lower isolator in the rear. We had to pull the rear springs 3 times to get the correct ride hieght. In 2 calls to Steeda they would not admit they screwed up (the '03/'04 Cobra was lowered 1" at the factory). I will NEVER buy another Steeda product, EVER.

I don't know the full story, however I do know when I installed my eibach springs and MM isolators the rear didn't appear to drop at all. It may have a little. so I removed the mm isolators and put the factory back in. now I have the drop I was looking for. I don't think it is necessarily the spring companies fault. they advertise the drops based on stock isolators. the MM isolators basically don't give like the stock do and in the rear that was 1/2 inch.

batfat

Established Member
That was only part of the problem. At the end of the day I got 1/2" front drop with MM isolators the same thickness as stock. The rear was the real problem. At the end of the day in the back we installed the springs with no lower isolator at all and a upper urethane isolator same thickness as stock. This gave me a rear drop of 11/16", no where near the published figures from steeda. P.S. At one point we put the steeda springs in the rear with the stock isolators and got NO drop at all, so there is an issue with the springs.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I have read so many threads about the Steeda springs, that for the same price don't understand why people are so against the H&R... Everyone is afraid of the drastic drop, but in all reality, if you're not looking for atleast a 1.5" to 1.75" drop all the way around, why are you lowring it? Just my opinion, HR's sit perfect without issues in my book, and if you're fearing the drastic drop, MM isolators will give it 1.5 all around.

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
The springs that Steeda has on the site are on back order until the middle of the month and they have been since the end of January. That is how long I have had mine on order. The reason for the delay is Steeda listened to thier customers. The rears didn't give enough of a drop so Steeda had HyperCo, (that is who makes thier springs) redesign them. I am on the phone every week with Mike ext 110 to stay on top of this. That is why the rest of my suspension mods are not installed yet. I have had great customer svc from those guys and to me, being patient will pay off. Just my $.02.

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
BTW, Steeda is saying the new springs are going to give you a 1.25" drop in the front and in the rear you will get 1". Here are the spring rates as well front 720-780 rear 750. I just got off the phone with Mike to verify this info. That is why I am being patient and waiting on mine.

FKing1

Established Member
3 weeks ago I had a set of the Steeda Sport Springs, 99-01 style installed. Steeda said they would drop the rear 1-1/2" as opposed to the 03/04 set that would be 1/4 or more less. The fronts are the same for both sets. After several weeks 1" drop in front and ZERO rr. I cut one coil off the rears and it dropped 1-1/2" and looks terrific. Pic attached.
Fred K.
rr%203-4%20cut.JPG

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Fred,

I have the 99-01 Steeda's as well.....dropped my car similar to yours, but I didn't have to do any cutting. Really like the way it sits.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
H&R SS pics
lowbra.jpg
That's a bit lower than I'd want. I like the stance of FKing1's car. Many prefer the lower stance obviously. You don't have the hills and bumps that we have up here. LOL!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
From what I hear, the H&R ss's drop the car more then the race springs. Ive seen a few pictures of the race springs and the drop is perfect...not too much.

D-Cobra

Established Member

i absolutely agree with you. the samething happened to me after i bought the 03 cobra springs, and they wouldn't admit fault and kept giving me the run arounds about cutting springs and take out isolators.

and i would not buy another Steeda product ever as well. :nonono:

D-Cobra

Established Member
That was only part of the problem. At the end of the day I got 1/2" front drop with MM isolators the same thickness as stock. The rear was the real problem. At the end of the day in the back we installed the springs with no lower isolator at all and a upper urethane isolator same thickness as stock. This gave me a rear drop of 11/16", no where near the published figures from steeda. P.S. At one point we put the steeda springs in the rear with the stock isolators and got NO drop at all, so there is an issue with the springs.

same here again. except i didn't bother doing the isolator trials like you did.

the way i look at it is... if they're selling a set of "lowering springs" that doesn't lower the car as is, but the customers have to make further modifications to the car and to the product in order to get the same advertised effect, why bother getting the product? it's a big waste of time, money, and effort.

i'd say someone should file a lawsuit or complaint against Steeda for selling falsely advertised and deceptive products.

on the other hand, i tossed the Steeda springs, and replaced it with a set of H&R race springs. now my car sits, rides, and handle way better than the Steeda springs.:)

FKing1

Established Member
One more thought on Steeda. If they read this Forum, which they should, I would be concerned with the failure of a product, i.e., the Sport Springs and not lowering the cars as advertised. Instead, one hears nothing and some of us poor saps are forced to modify the springs to get the look we paid for. Having said that, I am satisfied with their sub-frame connector and clutch quad/adj.
Nuff Said.
Fred K.

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye

Were you expecting an IMMEDIATE... drop...? The second you put your car down did you think it would be an inch lower? Thats not a fact, it need time and weight to get to it's true height. I installed mine 5 days ago and I noticed a little difference the night I did it and now it's a huge difference. Can't expect springs that have never been squatted on to yield results immediately. They need time to flex and conform to the suspension.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Originally posted by tommyhil4_6
Were you expecting an IMMEDIATE... drop...? The second you put your car down did you think it would be an inch lower? Thats not a fact, it need time and weight to get to it's true height. I installed mine 5 days ago and I noticed a little difference the night I did it and now it's a huge difference. Can't expect springs that have never been squatted on to yield results immediately. They need time to flex and conform to the suspension.
You will find major manufactureres of suspension componenets actually state on their websites as I was researching before buying that "settling" is a negative characteristic of a spring and that advertised ride height should not come as a result of settling. I saw an immediate drop because I have lowering springs. Not settling springs. Just my .02

FKing1

Established Member
Don't take this wrong, but, 3 weeks and 500 miles over Detroit's pot holed roads and no drop whatsoever is long enough to wait.
:rolling:
Fred K.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread