Steeda Tune #8

theACE

Established Member
Am I going to be same with a Steeda tune on a ZFK0 2012 5.0 with only mods being MRT 3" Hi-Flow Performance Boss H-Pipe, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaw AB's, and resonator deletes?

I am at 20k on the clock with 5k full synthetic oil changes and a Moroso air/oil separator.

I always run Shell 93 gas, from decent looking stations.

I am scared because I have read Shaun from AED posting that the only thing that saves these motors is when they detect detonation and go into "save the cats" mode. With a mid-pipe turning off O2 sensors would remove this "save the cats" feature of the tune wouldn't it?

I know Steeda has never had a #8....but I am worried. Especially since I have read on here that ZFK0 is a really failure prone ECU/PCM.

I understand that #8 can happen stock, however since I currently have a CEL for cat ineffeciency, I have been told to throw a tune on the car that will remove that and improve performance....and AED posted that they have developed a fix to get around the #8 issue.

Only thing that is odd about my car is that when I turn it on, for about the first 5 seconds if I rev the motor it will make a lope type sound and gurgle. This ALWAYS goes away after the first 5 or so seconds of operation, so I just wanted to make sure it was okay. My idle is about 750 to 1k once warm, but it is a liquid idle...it moves up and down from 750 to 1k.

Please ease my emotions, I don't know much about all this motor stuff but I am trying to learn and understand it all.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Don't tune your car if youre worried. My car does the same thing on startups, it's no big deal. My idle doesn't jump though, it will gurgle if you rev it on start ups.

theACE

Established Member
Don't tune your car if youre worried. My car does the same thing on startups, it's no big deal. My idle doesn't jump though, it will gurgle if you rev it on start ups.

What am I to do about the CEL for non-stock catholic converters?

I would have a 800 dollar piece of college dorm decoration if I went back to stock cats and midpipe.

And my idle looks like this Youtube video, just not that dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoI418KeWwE

I have read other 5.0's do this.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You shouldn't be modding the car without a tune. Even more so if your worried about the.
#8. 2nd you should contact shaun at aed as he will not sell you a tunr untill you data log the car stock 1st.

theACE

Established Member
Well, I don't have a laptop so I cannot really do a data log.

What I was planning on doing is when my order comes in from Steeda Thursday I will try to load the tune at my local Mustang performance shop and have them make sure everything is tight and right.

I didn't really think this midpipe would require a tune.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well, I don't have a laptop so I cannot really do a data log.

What I was planning on doing is when my order comes in from Steeda Thursday I will try to load the tune at my local Mustang performance shop and have them make sure everything is tight and right.

I didn't really think this midpipe would require a tune.

Well without a data log there's no way to tell if the car is running proper in stock forum. Also you said you got a cel light. Means there is an issue with your parts. At this point you could be causing issues that could lead to engine damage. Ford will not pay for your mistakes. Do things right or you may be the next "guess what I blew my motor".

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Don't mod* your car if you're worried about the #8. Always get a retune for when you add new stuff. This cel could potentially cause engine damage. Damage that ford will not cover. Buy a cheap laptop and learn how to datalog.

Hi flow catted midpipes do need retunes just like carless midpipes do.

Last edited:

theACE

Established Member
BTW, the only codes I am getting are P0420 and P0430 which are for catalytic deficiency. I guess I will have the shop do a baseline dyno before I upload the tune, just to make sure everything is good before I tune?

theACE

Established Member
Idle should not be jumping. I would call or email aed and get a better opinion.

Don't mod* your car if you're worried about the #8. Always get a retune for when you add new stuff. Removing the cats and not getting a tune could potentially cause damage. Damage that ford will not cover. Buy a cheap laptop and learn how to datalog.

I will most likely end up buying a laptop for datalogging.

I didn't delete the cats, these are MRT high flow performance cats which in their own video said it requires no tune after installation.

No one has answered one question however, is Steeda a safe company to get a tune from?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
BTW, the only codes I am getting are P0420 and P0430 which are for catalytic deficiency. I guess I will have the shop do a baseline dyno before I upload the tune, just to make sure everything is good before I tune?

Anytime the pcm throughs a code its never good. The pcm will try different things to fix it in which could cause damage else where. Think about it. If a 100% stock car an tune can cause a number 8, what do you think the car is doing on a stock tune with mods an even more so is throwing codes.

Also steeda is fine. But AED is way better

Last edited:

theACE

Established Member
Anytime the pcm throughs a code its never good. The pcm will try different things to fix it in which could cause damage else where. Think about it. If a 100% stock car an tune can cause a number 8, what do you think the car is doing on a stock tune with mods an even more so is throwing codes. I think you want a number 8 since you modded without getting a tune to support the mods

F that, that's the last thing I want.

Almost everyone I asked told me that this swap would be fine, it was installed Monday evening, tuner will be here Thursday, I am only going to drive the car to work and back which is a small trip.

I hope it all goes okay.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
I have a steeda tune. Car runs better than stock. I have no problems with it. You shouldn't be driving that car with mods and no tune. As sensitive as these systems are, why even put yourself through that? You're asking for trouble.

Deranged2013

Established Member
If I were you, I would put the stock cats and mid pipe back in, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or more, then reconnect the battery and drive it a couple hundred miles. If the car idles okay and the CELs do not reappear, then start over the right way. Get yourself a PC, and download the SCT devise updater and the LIVELINK GEN-II for data-logging. Find yourself a reputable tuner, preferably AED, that will look at your data-logs. Then start modding an tuning based on the advice your tuner gives you. If you can't do that, leave it stock.

theACE

Established Member
seriously 3 years later?!?!?!?!

OP needs to do some homework before posting

I've done a ton of online research, raped every search bar on every single Mustang forum.

I just want to be clear with my answers, so I asked again.

I just spoke with Gus@Steeda and I feel just fine about all this, they made me chill out. :pop::pepper:

ViciousJay

Established Member
I've done a ton of online research, raped every search bar on every single Mustang forum.

I just spoke with Gus@Steeda and I feel just fine about all this, they made me chill out. :pop::pepper:

THis has been discussed in great detail everywhere! These cars have been out since 3rd qtr of 2010.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

If you did a ton of searching then why did you mod the car with a stock tune? When the number 8 is buily into the stock tune?

Users who are viewing this thread