Steering problem is this normal?

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
So my car is at the dealer finally (see my other thread about how long this took) and they couldn't release the car because they said there is a problem with the steering. In reverse only, when the wheel as at full lock right or left, while backing up the car wants to bind up and hop a little acting like its a four wheel drive. Has anyone had this problem? The dealer has a call into ford and is looking into it.

94n2boost

Established Member
So is the steering binding or do you think it may be in the rear end not releasing it at the differential, like the axle is solid?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
It's perfectly normal. It has to do with the angle of the front tires, and the lack of traction with the front tires. It is worse when it is cold. I've seen the issue since 2010 on all GT500's. Mine is not really noticeable since I changed tires. It's not really a bind even though it feels that way. The tires just have so little traction that they kind of skip when at full lock in reverse. Similar to understeer. It is especially bad when backing down a steep grade and cutting the wheels hard, like backing out of a steep driveway.

Last edited:

SteveWK

Established Member
This thread just saved me a trip to the dealer. I have the same issue and it is worse when it is cold. I've also had mine do it while pulling forward with the wheel at full lock.

Steve

USV8PWR

Established Member
It's perfectly normal. It has to do with the angle of the front tires, and the lack of traction with the front tires. It is worse when it is cold. I've seen the issue since 2010 on all GT500's. Mine is not really noticeable since I changed tires. It's not really a bind even though it feels that way. The tires just have so little traction that they kind of skip when at full lock in reverse. Similar to understeer. It is especially bad when backing down a steep grade and cutting the wheels hard, like backing out of a steep driveway.

^^^^ This exactly! Now tell that dang dealer of yours to quit driving your ride any more and let you FINALLY drive it yourself, after waiting 9 months. Say something like, "hey....I truly appreciate all of your help and all, but after this long I just want to drive it. Trust me, if somethings wrong I'll figure it out and let you know." LOL! ;) :burnout:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It's perfectly normal. It has to do with the angle of the front tires, and the lack of traction with the front tires. It is worse when it is cold... It's not really a bind even though it feels that way. The tires just have so little traction that they kind of skip when at full lock in reverse. Similar to understeer. It is especially bad when backing down a steep grade and cutting the wheels hard, like backing out of a steep driveway.
This ^^. I've even experienced it when going forward on level ground, if the ground and tires are cold. (No, I don't make a habit of this, but I saw it during my long trip home after taking delivery in early November. Explained in another of my threads...)

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member

Thank you so much for the info! I feel so much better!

^^^^ This exactly! Now tell that dang dealer of yours to quit driving your ride any more and let you FINALLY drive it yourself, after waiting 9 months. Say something like, "hey....I truly appreciate all of your help and all, but after this long I just want to drive it. Trust me, if somethings wrong I'll figure it out and let you know." LOL! ;) :burnout:

LOL! So true!!!

Thanks for this link. Don't know how I missed this thread!!! Sorry for the repeat thread everyone! Must be all the excitement!!!!

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Corvettes have this issue also (like my Z), it has something to do with the geometry of the suspension and the wide wheels.

Basically DON'T turn the wheel all the way towards the lock on either end and go easy backing or driving out of tight areas.

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
No offense.... But some of you are just plain wrong. No, not because im sayin you are, just because there hasnt been enough questions aske d to the OP....
My car was doin the same thing....Reason.... My rear end had burnt up the bearings and had horribly adjusted backlash. Many other users on here have had or are goin to have their rears replaced...
OP Question: Is your rear end making ANY noise... whirring whining..ect????
Just dont want this to get outta hand for the OP, plus this symptom has been experienced by all who had the binding rear....

cgouzoulis

SNARFSNARF
Established Member
PS... I dont think tellin someone who spent as much on these cars as we have not to turn the wheel full chock is silly... I mean, WTF! Not bashin whoever said it....more so to any dealer that would tell a customer that. Shouldnt that kind of issue been looked at and fixed during R/D phase at the manufacturer???

03reptile

Established Member
PS... I dont think tellin someone who spent as much on these cars as we have not to turn the wheel full chock is silly... I mean, WTF! Not bashin whoever said it....more so to any dealer that would tell a customer that. Shouldnt that kind of issue been looked at and fixed during R/D phase at the manufacturer???

Cgouzoullis: Are you still waiting for your back-ordered ring and pinion?

Myfast70

Established Member
No offense.... But some of you are just plain wrong. No, not because im sayin you are, just because there hasnt been enough questions aske d to the OP....
My car was doin the same thing....Reason.... My rear end had burnt up the bearings and had horribly adjusted backlash. Many other users on here have had or are goin to have their rears replaced...
Just dont want this to get outta hand for the OP, plus this symptom has been experienced by all who had the binding rear....

I think you're over reacting a bit on this one. His car is brand new and has essentially next to 0 miles on it. Kinda tough to believe it has a rear issue already. :??:

USV8PWR

Established Member
I think you're over reacting a bit on this one. His car is brand new and has essentially next to 0 miles on it. Kinda tough to believe it has a rear issue already. :??:

Ahem....I think you really meant "Her"....not "His". :rockon:

Myfast70

Established Member
Ahem....I think you really meant "Her"....not "His". :rockon:

Sorry, saw no mention in this thread of the owner being a female. And I don't make a habit of viewing someone's profile to verify before posting in a thread... My apologies to the OP

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member

I haven't driven the car yet. This is what the dealer told me and why I couldn't take it home yet. They are waiting to talk to Ford on Monday. The car has 11 miles on it. I hope it's not the rear end!

Sorry, saw no mention in this thread of the owner being a female. And I don't make a habit of viewing someone's profile to verify before posting in a thread... My apologies to the OP

No worries Myfast70! Not everyone is aware that I'm a female ;-)

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

Other than "his" to "her", this is spot-on. The "problem" is tire-related, not the rear end.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
My 77 Trans Am has done and still does the same thing when turned tight to the lock. It has 308K miles on it I rebuilt the rear at about 180K just cause I had the car down for an engine build and figured well it is in the air might as well fix everything. I would be inclined to think it is just what the car does but it does not hurt to play the be sure card :) it has the dyna 60 rear not the corperate gm rear

Users who are viewing this thread