Steering rack bushings

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
For those that have installed aluminum steering rack bushing how do you guys like them, do they really make that big of a chattering noise or is it minimal? I'm about a set of steering rack bushings and wanted to hear some imput from you guys. Thanks

Evan5469

Established Member
I've had them on for a few years now and they do make a big difference in steering feel. Mine make no noise what-so-ever so don't be afraid of that.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It tightened my steering up alot and made it more responsive. Im wanting to do the solid steering shaft next to see if it improves more but I have a few things i need over that...

Scotty B

Established Member
Daily driven for 3 yrs never had any chattering noise in my convertible. I had offset aluminum bushings to go with the X2 ball joints.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Well worth it. One of the best mods I've done....steering feedback is worlds better. No noise here either, steering rack is silent.

SVTr1gger

Established Member
I just finished the install of the MM steering rack bushings...the creaking noise is finally gone!, but now it has more of a popping noise. Just wondering if anyone may know what that is?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just finished the install of the MM steering rack bushings...the creaking noise is finally gone!, but now it has more of a popping noise. Just wondering if anyone may know what that is?

Is he bushing flush against the k member like the directions state? I had to hammer my k member alittle for the bushing/washer to sit flush as the directions say

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
To anyone that hasn't done this mod...
DO THEM! DO THEM! DO THEM! DO THEM! DO THEM!
After doing mine, I was upset that I hadn't done them years sooner. Such a cheap and easy mod that delivers great results!:beer:

Is he bushing flush against the k member like the directions state? I had to hammer my k member alittle for the bushing/washer to sit flush as the directions say
Mine are, I used a dremel to fine fit them.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

The popping could be the stock steering shaft. It's not exotic - just stamped steel fitted in to stamped steel so it wears and loosens up. Get a good steering shaft like MM or FR (my FR shown with the old stock one)...

P1020249.jpg

SVTr1gger

Established Member
After getting a closer look at it, it felt as if my inner tie rods were making the noise. After my alignment the noise was gone. Im assuming the alilgnment was so far out it made it chatter a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread