Steggy Ported Blower Issue

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Hey guys...I just picked up an 04 cobra about a week ago, and it has a Stage 3 Steggy ported blower on it...and its VERY loud, and not in the good way.

Here is a video of it: Steggy Ported Blower Noise - YouTube

The noise seems to be coming from the nose of the blower...does this noise sound familiar to any of you guys?

I have the stock Eaton as well with the same pulley...should I swap the nose cones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :beer:

Last edited:

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
almost sounds like u have an aggressive pulley and its the belt making noise, when i switch from a 2.81 steeda to a 2.76 billetflow mine was a bit more noisy

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
My buddy has a stage 3 port with a 2.76 and it's no where near that loud. If it's not hard to pull the nose cone I would remove it and have a look at the bearings.

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
I've listened to several videos and it definitely doesnt sound like a coupler issue (rocks sound) or a bearing issue (high pitched or clunking)...so I'm really not sure what it could be?

oldmodman

Established Member
That sure does sound like a failed or failing bearing. But until you determine exactly where it's coming from you will just be guessing.

Do you have any spare idler pulleys? If you do exchange them one by one to see if the noise is coming from one particular pulley. Then once those are eliminated go ahead and swap the snout. But if the noise is STILL there then you will know that it the bearing or bearings that are pressed into the back of the blower case and it will have to go back for repair. Those bearings are sealed and can't be user lubricated.

Also, if you have a mechanics stethoscope you can quickly identify the noise producing area without having to do any parts swapping.

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
I'm going to pull the nose this weekend, change the fluid and see how it looks in there.

Thanks for the input guys.

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
That sure does sound like a failed or failing bearing. But until you determine exactly where it's coming from you will just be guessing.

Do you have any spare idler pulleys? If you do exchange them one by one to see if the noise is coming from one particular pulley. Then once those are eliminated go ahead and swap the snout. But if the noise is STILL there then you will know that it the bearing or bearings that are pressed into the back of the blower case and it will have to go back for repair. Those bearings are sealed and can't be user lubricated.

Also, if you have a mechanics stethoscope you can quickly identify the noise producing area without having to do any parts swapping.
If you get in very close...its definitely coming from the nose of the blower...right at the very tip near the actual pulley...im wondering if its the front shaft bearing.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Let me know how this turns out. I just swapped my blower out for a ported one and it's making a very similar noise. I guess that's what I get for buying a used one and letting it sit in my basement two years before installing it! I'm going to buy a stethoscope on the way home today to see what I can find by listening. I've got my original snout so I will probably swap it out and see if that helps. If not, it might be time to start looking for a TVS!

Blueline

Established Member
Just to be sure, pull the belt off and start the car, see if the noise persists. Also check to see if your bypass valve is functioning properly.

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Did some digging today...changed the blower oil, sound is still there...did some screwdriver stethascope searching...the sound is definitely coming from the tip of the blower, it has to be the front bearing...I'm gonna pull the snout off tomorrow and swap on my stock eaton snout and hopefully that does the trick.

Digital

Established Member
Did some digging today...changed the blower oil, sound is still there...did some screwdriver stethascope searching...the sound is definitely coming from the tip of the blower, it has to be the front bearing...I'm gonna pull the snout off tomorrow and swap on my stock eaton snout and hopefully that does the trick.

Steggy not retrning calls when there is a problem? You don't say... first time for everything. :rollseyes

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Steggy not retrning calls when there is a problem? You don't say... first time for everything. :rollseyes
Is that common? People rave about their customer service...but so far, its been complete shit. I cant get anyone to answer the phone, let alone call me back...

Digital

Established Member
Is that common? People rave about their customer service...but so far, its been complete shit. I cant get anyone to answer the phone, let alone call me back...

Links to positive customer experience with steg.. I'll wait...

Muskaanz-1900753.jpg

Links to positive customer experience with steg.. I'll wait...

Muskaanz-1900753.jpg

Because SVTP is a representative sample of Steg customers? Do you realize, just as an example...how many Terminator members in NJ have Steg ports and AREN'T members of any mustang site?

Some how, some way, SVTP members never figured out that every person owning a mustang is not registered on the web...

Btw, how many people who have ACTUALLY bought a Steg product...have any credibility?

Oh and do you know how many times I've called or emailed Lethal and other vendors...and waited several days to get a response? But I don't come onto the web to whine about it, because I understand the challenges of getting back to a high volume of calls...

Popular vendors have lives too, you know...

Btw, there is a big difference between ACTUALLY buying a Steg product, as opposed to buying a car with a Steg product. As a point of reference, go call SPEC and tell them you are having issues with their clutch, when you NEVER bought it from them directly but bought a car with SPC clutch in it....

Digital you really need to get a clue as to how vendors respond out there when you never spend the $ directly...

Go tell Whipple the car you bought, has a Whipple on it and its making noise...

please let us know what they say to you...

But we want to hold certain vendors to unprecedented standards in the mustang world...

Digital

Established Member
Because SVTP is a representative sample of Steg customers? Do you realize, just as an example...how many Terminator members in NJ have Steg ports and AREN'T members of any mustang site?

Some how, some way, SVTP members never figured out that every person owning a mustang is not registered on the web...

Btw, how many people who have ACTUALLY bought a Steg product...have any credibility?

Oh and do you know how many times I've called or emailed Lethal and other vendors...and waited several days to get a response? But I don't come onto the web to whine about it, because I understand the challenges of getting back to a high volume of calls...

Popular vendors have lives too, you know...

Btw, there is a big difference between ACTUALLY buying a Steg product, as opposed to buying a car with a Steg product. As a point of reference, go call SPEC and tell them you are having issues with their clutch, when you NEVER bought it from them directly but bought a car with SPC clutch in it....

Digital you really need to get a clue as to how vendors respond out there when you never spend the $ directly...

Dude I spent more money modding my car in parts then your cars worth. I'd suggest you call someone else out.
It has nothing to do with the mistakes steg makes it's his attitude about them. I've never had lethal tell me to **** off. Course I've been there in person and spent around 10k with them. But what do I know right? lawl.

I also own a business and put customer service #1 ahead of everything. What do you do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread