Stereo guys, looking for feedback

ChiefP

03 Vert
Established Member
I'm replacing the speakers in my vert. When I got it the head unit was already replaced, but still using old speakers...doesn't sound good and at least one is buzzing. Read everything I could and have come down to using 6.5 Alpine type R comps up front and Alpine coax 6.5s in the rear. I've chosen the infinity kappa 5, five channel amp (I might go with the alpine 5 channel, but am getting a great deal on this one, $260). I'm struggling with what sub to get as my golf clubs must still fit in the trunk (priorities) and I'm not interested in fabbing anything. It's down to 2, please provide opinion.

WoofersEtc.com - CP108LG-W3v3 - Single 8W3v3-4 Sub in High Output Enclosure

WoofersEtc.com - SBR-S83V - Alpine 8" Single Ported Enclosure Loaded with Type-R Subwoofer

Figure I can lay either of these on their back. I'm leaning towards the JL, as I'm more familiar with the brand, but that's it.

Thanks

Last edited:

MAX86GT

Established Member
Type R because the amp will be putting out 300w at a 2 ohm load versus 150w at 4 ohm with the JL. Plus the type R 8" is just as good as if not better than the JL W3. If you were comparing it to a W6 or W7 it would be a different story though.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Type R because the amp will be putting out 300w at a 2 ohm load versus 150w at 4 ohm with the JL. Plus the type R 8" is just as good as if not better than the JL W3. If you were comparing it to a W6 or W7 it would be a different story though.

I wasn't comparing any particular model just pointing him in a good direction.

A 2 ohm load is going to beat up on his amp quite a bit more than a 4 ohm and so on. There is no free ride here. My recommendation for the OP is to talk to a dealer and find a car stereo forum where he can get more informed advice. From talking with knowledgeable people you can't go wrong with JL and MB Quarts.

MAX86GT

Established Member
I wasn't comparing any particular model just pointing him in a good direction.

A 2 ohm load is going to beat up on his amp quite a bit more than a 4 ohm and so on. There is no free ride here. My recommendation for the OP is to talk to a dealer and find a car stereo forum where he can get more informed advice. From talking with knowledgeable people you can't go wrong with JL and MB Quarts.

That post was in no way directed to you or what you posted. I was simply pointing him in the right direction so he would get the most bang for the buck with the equipment choices given.

If you were talking about the German made Quarts from years ago they were great.....the new ones well not so much. They are part of the maxxsonics group and not built nearly as well as the old stuff.

The amp is 2 ohm stable so no harm in using it when it's very capable of running it.

Car stereo forum for more informed advice???? They would tell him there is much better subs for the money than JL. Most forum guys don't care for JL. I gave him good advice.....been around it since 89 building, competing and the business.

Last edited:

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
I have a alpine 10 and loooove it! I have no issues with my speakers and double din kenwood DVD player

ChiefP

03 Vert
Established Member
That post was in no way directed to you or what you posted. I was simply pointing him in the right direction so he would get the most bang for the buck with the equipment choices given.

If you were talking about the German made Quarts from years ago they were great.....the new ones well not so much. They are part of the maxxsonics group and not built nearly as well as the old stuff.

The amp is 2 ohm stable so no harm in using it when it's very capable of running it.

Car stereo forum for more informed advice???? They would tell him there is much better subs for the money than JL. Most forum guys don't care for JL. I gave him good advice.....been around it since 89 building, competing and the business.

Given the huge space restrictions, what's "much better for the money"? I saw a lot of better subs, but nothing that small?

SlowSVT

Established Member

Sounds like you are on top of this more than me. I don't follow the car stereo scene that much but generally I've been told by people who do that JL subs and MB Quarts are a good choice. Sounds like that may no longer be the case.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me :beer:

MAX86GT

Established Member
Given the huge space restrictions, what's "much better for the money"? I saw a lot of better subs, but nothing that small?

Most forums go for the less mainstream names like DC, FI, Dayton or Image Dynamics. Not there any better than JL but they are usually cheaper and just as good.

ChiefP

03 Vert
Established Member
I'll take a look. I'm all for quality at a good price, name brands make the list or they don't. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread