Stock '03 brakes going to cut it?

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
Hey folks, little background before my question. Having sold my dedicated OT car (94 cobra) I find myself missing the track. I'd consider myself to be an average to slightly above OT driver. By no means a beginner, but nowhere near some of the folks I know frequent this forum.

My '03 cobra is more or less bone stock, and ive got a fairly lengthy list of suspension and cooling improvements going on here in the next month or so. My question is regarding the brakes. Would the stock brake setup, with upgraded components (pads/lines/fluid) Be enough to haul down this 3700 pound tank, or ought i consider the '00R brakes or similar?

Ive noticed in some of the few auto-x experiences ive had with it after 3-4 hard stops i can feel the pads begin to fade - granted this is on stock components, but im just looking for advice from some with more experience with these cars on the Track. Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

racebronco2

Established Member
Despite popular opinion the stock calipers with well for me with brake ducts, cooling fans and kevlar metallic (lomandi out of canada and bought off of e-bay) brakes. Several members here have been in my car. I tend to late brake most of the time. But you must break them in correctly (smoke coming off of them). I have been using them for about 2 1/2 years on the track and street.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
The stock calipers will work but I do like the added stopping power and consistency of the 00R kit.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1) An '03 Cobra is a heavy car
2) Brakes are a safety item
3) Must add braided lines
4) The stock brakes are decent
5) You MUST add cooling ducts for track duty
6) '00R four pot Brembos are a great upgrade

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you add cooling ducts you can get away with stock calipers for a good period of time. But you will experience pretty severe pad taper and fairly quick wear out. But they do work and work pretty well but a near race or race compound pad will be needed most likely for your experience level.

The Brembos will actually trip the front ABS with semi sticky tires(used Kumho 700s)..... where as I rarely got anything but rear ABS pulses with the PBRs and street tires.

The extended pad life with the Brembos I believe will justify the cash out lay after a brief period of time,

and the confidence factor is not insignificant... with a good pad + Brembos.

Last edited:

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
Thanks a ton, especially to AC427Cobra and Jimmy, always pay attention to what you two are sayin, very knowledgable, and always quick to help out those of us with less experience. :beer: for both of ya! Looks like the R's are it....now to try to find em cheap :-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Blue_03_SVT said:
Thanks a ton, especially to AC427Cobra and Jimmy, always pay attention to what you two are sayin, very knowledgable, and always quick to help out those of us with less experience. :beer: for both of ya! Looks like the R's are it....now to try to find em cheap :-D

Thank you very much!!!

BTW ... I got mine from these guys!!! -> http://www.buyfordracing.com/

modsNstuff50.jpg

Last edited:

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I got mine from the same place as Jimmy and its by the best thing I have done for the car thus far. You can't go wrong with those kits. This year was when I made the switch and I couldn't believe how much better the car felt under braking.

Users who are viewing this thread