Stock 03 Cobra brakes under abuse

fly4navy117

Established Member
When I bought my 02 GT, the previous owner had installed stock 03 cobra brakes on it. If I were to do a track day somewhere, how well would these hold up? I know doing things like track days are very hard on the brakes and I wouldn't want them to fail in the middle of driving the car very hard.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You'll want to make sure you put some type of brake cooling on the front of the car. Unless you're just going to be out there 'touring'?

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

batfat

Established Member
Like those two (very informed) guy's say. With cooling ducts and proper back plates the stock PBR's with Hawk HP Plus pads were Ok on high speed tracks with good straits for cooling time. I switched to the 2000 Cobra R Brembo package, with the same cooling ducts, and haven't looked back. More pedal left when you need it. Funny thing is, the more you do it, the less brake you actually use.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
+1 on my esteemed colleagues replies. Also, be advised that you will very likely burn the piston dust boots to ash. As long as you keep things clean in there between pad swaps, it will be ok. There are rebuild kits out there with new seals and boots available....from FRPP I think....but you shouldn't need that for a long time.

ABrown

Established Member
I've got brake cooling ducts and hawk pads on mine! No worries here. Havent had em overheat in Auburn traffic once! :banana:

merp

Captain Insane-o
Established Member
Good god, what the hell are people still doing using Hawk pads? The EBC yellows are cheaper and better performing. Yellows plus ducts, lines, and Motul 600 = back-to-back 100mph panic stops with no issues or fade. Sure, I throw the rotors away after hard track use, but with Oreilley offering lifetime replacement warranties, why not?

/hated the Hawk parts, they're stupid overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread