stock 1/4 times with 99, 01 cobra

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra2k1
You did it once! It was never consistant and you know it! LOL

IRS aids in hook up. Less likley to wheel hop.

Info from SVT.

Sorry you all are wrong.
so i guess my 1.95 60 foot on the crappy (stock)99 irs /w $hitty kuhmo 712s(275-40)isnt up to par with the 01 or 03 irs,...............right?

the driver plays a huge role in the irs cars,regardless of the year.

Last edited:

cobra2k1

Established Member
Originally posted by forged5.4dohc
so i guess my 1.95 60 foot on the crappy (stock)99 irs /w $hitty kuhmo 712s(275-40)isnt up to par with the 01 or 03 irs,...............right?

the driver plays a huge role in the irs cars,regardless of the year.

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say. You are right, however. Your 99 IRS is NOT up to par with the 01s or 03s/04s. God job on the 60'.

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
wtf are you launchin these cars with the IRS ?? i cant get a good launch. good laucnh RPM wise ?? when i try to launch at 3k(slippin the clutch)all i get is spinn...

cobra2k1

Established Member
Originally posted by 01BlueCOBRA
wtf are you launchin these cars with the IRS ?? i cant get a good launch. good laucnh RPM wise ?? when i try to launch at 3k(slippin the clutch)all i get is spinn...

First of all, those KDWS tires suck on the track, especially bald. I never got better than a 2.1 60' on those. The original tires (Comp T/As) were much better. With a bald set of those, I was only .01 away from a 1.9 60'! Those tires were the shit, too bad you can't buy them anymore. They quit making them. :shrug: Anyway, my best 60' came at 3800rpm on the Comps. I haven't been to the track yet with the 04.

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
Originally posted by 01BlueCOBRA
when i had the irs i would do a 5 sec burnout,let off the brake and feather the throttle till the tires cought,pull up to the line,rev to 4000rpm,slip the clutch enough to load the suspension then fully release it,and its full throttle and power shifts till the end.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I did the same thing with my IRS. I would just clean the tires off, line up rev to about 3000 and slip the clutch a little the let off fully and grip and rip. My best on the IRS was a 1.98 60 ft.

LS1 HTR

Established Member
my 99 went a 13.66 with a 2.3 60 ft at montgomery motorsports park. our track never gets prepped worth a damn on test and tune night. i think the car can run 40's or so on a good track with good air and not 99% humidity.

chuckstang

Established Member
wow easy there cobra2k1, I have a 99 cobra and I just had it dynoed today and it put down 281 rwhp, I have not taken it to the track but I do not see why it would not run the same as your 01. The 01's dynoed 272. Seems as though you are trying to defend yourself, even as bad as those camaro guys do. The 99 and 01's are exactly the same except for these: 31 spline axle, tremek tranny/not the t45, seats, headlights, wheels, rear bumper. the engines are the same! once the 99 has had the fix it is the same or usual better like in my case. I have 410 gears in my car and would gladly take on an 01. Usually is dead even!

cobra2k1

Established Member
Originally posted by chuckstang
wow easy there cobra2k1, I have a 99 cobra and I just had it dynoed today and it put down 281 rwhp, I have not taken it to the track but I do not see why it would not run the same as your 01. The 01's dynoed 272. Seems as though you are trying to defend yourself, even as bad as those camaro guys do. The 99 and 01's are exactly the same except for these: 31 spline axle, tremek tranny/not the t45, seats, headlights, wheels, rear bumper. the engines are the same! once the 99 has had the fix it is the same or usual better like in my case. I have 410 gears in my car and would gladly take on an 01. Usually is dead even!

So you are trying to tell me your 99 is bone stock (except for the 4.10s and you dynoed 281? BS! Tell me about your other mods and I'll believe you. My 01 dynoed 283 with CIA and Flowmasters so bone stock it should have dynoed your stated 272. Even Ford admitted that the two cars were not the same. Read this link and you will know.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3198

p.s. I don't have the 01 anymore. You want NONE of the 04!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I read that, boring article...The 99 block is actually better...it is from the same place in Italy that builds for Ferrari...second off they have the exact same engines except the 99's had their intakes clogged up and exhuast as well but once that was fixed many 99's dynoed better than a stock 01. My car has steeda pullies, chip, bassani x pipe, flows, bbk intake, 410's and aluminum driveshaft and dynoed at 281 and my car has not had the fix to the intake so that is holding it back some...so in conclusion, no my car is not stock but I still consider it stock because exhuast and intake are just the not really mods these days, every cobra has them! so Im sorry about the misunderstanding. I have not been to track so nothing to brag about . 99=01 with the fix or even without it if you are like me :)

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Oh and by the way FORD did not admit anything other than that the 99's were down on power, it was CARANDDRIVER that said the two cars were completely different. But you what I have noticed with cobras is that they are all different, they all have different quirks and drive a bit different. Thats what makes them so interesting...for instance my car barely exhibits any wheel hop...granted it does have subframes, KB bushings, spring and shocks but you just cant come out with statements that all 01's are better than all 99's or all 04 are better than 03's. The 01 guys have nothing too prove, I just dont get why there is always these kinds of arguments...If you ever go to the strip...don't you see how the times vary from high 12's to high 14's. ITS ALL DRIVER

Last edited:

cobra2k1

Established Member
Originally posted by chuckstang
Oh and by the way FORD did not admit anything other than that the 99's were down on power, it was CARANDDRIVER that said the two cars were completely different. But you what I have noticed with cobras is that they are all different, they all have different quirks and drive a bit different. Thats what makes them so interesting...for instance my car barely exhibits any wheel hop...granted it does have subframes, KB bushings, spring and shocks but you just cant come out with statements that all 01's are better than all 99's or all 04 are better than 03's. The 01 guys have nothing too prove, I just dont get why there is always these kinds of arguments...If you ever go to the strip...don't you see how the times vary from high 12's to high 14's. ITS ALL DRIVER

I haven't run in the 1/4 yet but I just ran the 1/8 this past Saturday. 7.65 @ 93.2 mph with 1.71 60'. (my 04)

You have a lot of mods to ONLY have 281 hp. That just proves what I've been saying all along. 99s<01s. I only had a CAI and welded in Flowmasters and dynoed 283. As far as the track goes, well, we agree there. The driver ALWAYS makes the difference. We also agree that all Cobras are unique.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i went 13.92 at 103.02 stock with a really really bad 2.31 60
modded i went 13.33 at 106.79 with a still sucky 2.16 60

I won't be able to get times with the blower until spring

Just to add to this my 01 made 276RWHP and 281RWTQ SAE Bone Stock

see sig for the modded numbers

Last edited:

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
before my 03 i had a 99 cobra with a mac cold air elbow, off road h-pipe, and flowmasters ...it dynoed 267hp 279tq but with the 275/40/17 nittos DR's it went a 13.18 @105 down at darlington dragway.....also at a local 18th mile track it went a 8.41 @ 85mph on some crappy dunlop tires.....most people just said that i had a freak car.............well i just went to the SCMC track day at jackson in my 03 and with the mods below it went a [email protected] on the same type of drag radial....oh well i was told by Randy Haywood that the 99 enginge was the best to start with, but what does he know.

Users who are viewing this thread