Stock 2012 A6 shifting funny, anyone else get this?

htk084

Established Member
My bone stock 2012 auto is hesitating to downshift when I nail the throttle. For some reason, when I nail the gas at around 60, the transmission will downshift once and then the rpms go to about 3500, then the transmission downshift again to the proper gear and starts pulling. So I hit it at around 60, and it has to downshift like twice and then start pulling, and once it starts pulling it feels a little sluggish.

Anyone have any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Mine did the same seems to be the tune for the tranny from ford.

htk084

Established Member
Ok glad to know this is normal. Yeah I can just feel that the factory computer is just holding the car back so much and there is an animal waiting to be unleashed. Because the car feels a little tamer than I thought it would.

And a tune definitely will cure this? I was going to go with Bama because of the warranty and they are proven to make good power, I'm hoping they can make the tranny perform like a champ.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Mine did the same thing stock and with Bama tunes. Does not do it with BBR tunes.

Ok glad to know this is normal. Yeah I can just feel that the factory computer is just holding the car back so much and there is an animal waiting to be unleashed. Because the car feels a little tamer than I thought it would.

And a tune definitely will cure this? I was going to go with Bama because of the warranty and they are proven to make good power, I'm hoping they can make the tranny perform like a champ.

did you see where he said his Bama tune does the same thing as the stock ford tune.

9secWS6

Established Member
did you see where he said his Bama tune does the same thing as the stock ford tune.
Bama has unmatched customer service and was very helpful but after SEVERAL attempts to "fix" the shifting issue and doing some research I decided to try BBR and was very pleased with the service. I had it reflashed at Ford to begin with but no change. It is 100% gone now and shifts perfect with the BBR tunes. Again no disrespect towards BAMA/AM, I just think Chris Jones @ BBR has these autos nailed down.

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
I would steer clear of Bama for an A6 car. I went with Bama originally on mine and the tranny shifted no better than stock on their race tune. Switched to BRB and it's like a completely different transmission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread