Stock air box vs CAI video

Mikegee1028

Established Member
That's because you DO feel the increase with those. That mod is worth its $300 price. The sound is worth about $50-100 of that.

You're on your own with that one. It produced repeatable results in every test I've seen, no matter the brand. Track tests and the gains are real. I'd call them "minimal gains", not huge.

Mine is a BBR ORX and at the time I had a BBR tune once again I'm sure it had to with air but I got no gains at all at the track.

But it did show a difference in roll racing vs cars on the street just ET's and MPH were the same.

Last edited:

Napoleon85

Established Member
Well I installed my Steeda CAI / 93 tune and I have baseline #s from 1 month ago.
Tomorrow if weather is good I am returning to the same shop to see what results I get.
Im going to test it with hood shut so people dont use that as a reason for any HP gains.
If its zero to 25 I really dont care, it looks awesome and Ive spent more money on other mods JUST FOR LOOKS.
I honestly can feel a difference. But tomorrow I'll see if my Butt Dyno is accurate.
Some people say , AT THE TRACK, I didnt notice any gains.
Well at 25 hp gain its going to be hard to see at a track. Theres so many factors that change. Weather, track conditions, etc.

Just for clarification, did you add a CAI to an already tuned car, or did you add a CAI AND tune to a stock car? If you added a CAI and tune, we would all expect you to feel a difference. The general consensus is that the gains are from the tune, not the CAI.

Also, you can't compare dyno sheets from last month to dyno sheets tomorrow, that's just not how it works. Dyno results can only produce meaningful data when the same car is ran on the same dyno on the same day with no major atmospheric changes. Outside of that scope, the numbers are a random (and meaningless) point of data.

KidMoney

Established Member
Track results are too inconsistent to use as a gauge in my oppinion there's waaaay to many factors.

Track results are the only results that matter. If a mod can't help your car on every pass, then what's the point of having it?

techwerkz

Established Member
This is what Kenne Bell has to say about dyno's ...

http://techwerkz.com/DynoTestVariables.pdf

No idea if that is live on their website anymore or not, but I saved it many years ago. #27 and #28 are great examples of why people see dyno gains with these big filters when the hood is open on the dyno. The stock airbox is closed, so hood open shows no gains. Close the hood and seal in that big filter, and the gains if any are miniscule.

Bmr4life

Established Member
This is what Kenne Bell has to say about dyno's ...

http://techwerkz.com/DynoTestVariables.pdf

No idea if that is live on their website anymore or not, but I saved it many years ago. #27 and #28 are great examples of why people see dyno gains with these big filters when the hood is open on the dyno. The stock airbox is closed, so hood open shows no gains. Close the hood and seal in that big filter, and the gains if any are miniscule.

Yeah, someone else called that out on another forum not to long ago.

cbrtrx

Established Member
Well the vid was fun to watch atleast. Maybe you guys would like to come up to Tampa sometime to race? I'd like to see how my car compares up to your 5.0s.

corepwn

Established Member
Well the vid was fun to watch atleast. Maybe you guys would like to come up to Tampa sometime to race? I'd like to see how my car compares up to your 5.0s.

How's it going? Maybe at the next DH we can set something up if you're interested, didn't you put on a kit like 04comp?

cbrtrx

Established Member
My car is not ready for the track otherwise it would be some fun runs. I just saw the roll races and since I haven't raced in a while I was just curious how my car stacked up to the other 5.0 cars. My car is self tuned and I just wanted to see the difference.

techwerkz

Established Member

A callout from KOG? Keep the bottle at home, and I will be up there next Thursday. :thumbsup:

This is titter btw.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I think the cai is a mod to compound with other mods , by itself it can't be expected to give any major performance gains but when you add the cai with other mods it can't hurt to add 10hp to a combination when your trying to get every drop out of a n/a car

Mikegee1028

Established Member
I think the cai is a mod to compound with other mods , by itself it can't be expected to give any major performance gains but when you add the cai with other mods it can't hurt to add 10hp to a combination when your trying to get every drop out of a n/a car

+1 just like 9/10 mods on a n\a car

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
$300 for minimal gains worth it? Thats up to the buyer.
As I see it minimal gain from a CAI + minimal gain from headers + minimal gains from going catless + minimal gains from weight reduction all add up to some pretty hefty gains in the end.
All the little stuff adds up.

Mikegee1028

Established Member
$300 for minimal gains worth it? Thats up to the buyer.
As i see it minimal gain from a cai + minimal gain from headers + minimal gains from going catless + minimal gains from weight reduction all add up to some pretty hefty gains in the end.
All the little stuff adds up.

+1

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Just removed my JLT and went back to the stock box. Much more enjoyable without the horrible whistle the thing created on my car. Worst sounding intake I've ever had on any of my vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread