Stock clutch and cable, hanging shifts at high RPM

texas_snake

Established Member
So here's the story. The freakin PCV tube that goes under the S/C and intake dried up and got a hole in it. I was getting the check engine light and things going lean and I was feeling less than motivated to get that deep in the engine. And being particular, I decided to take it to Ford to repair it (vs. any shop) and paid the extra $$$. But, just like in the past when I got things fixed under warranty (I am the original owner), when you take it in for one issue, you always get it back with another (my experience 90+% of the time anyway with 3 Ford dealerships). This is why I have fixed everything else myself. So laziness caught up with me on this one.

Now the problem I got when picked up the car. I immediately felt the clutch was too loose and shifting right off the floor (like .5 inch) :mad:. Also it would not really shift in high rpm (just hangs going out of gear and going in). I decided, f-it I can fix this myself since I have replaced clutches and deal with the stock cable setup before.

A few days later I was adjusting the stock clutch cable (with the normal click method) and it would not really tighten up. So as in the past, I was able to tight it up by getting under the dash and pulling the cable a bit to have it move up a click. The feel is much better and it now engages higher (say 1-2 inches off the floor). And shifts good for normal driving. But... I am stick noticing it sticking at high rpm with load (floored). This is just pissing me off at this point.

What I don't understand is why this would not go back into adjustment like it was before I took it to the dealership. I assumed they needed to release it to better work to take the S/C intake off. But I really can't get the clutch to act like it was before taking it in.

Is the cable stretched? Since the clutch engages low to the floor, I don't think they burned up my clutch on a give it hell ride. I got under it last night to look the setup at the trans and it looked fine and engaged fine. I could potentially pull it tighter or another click, but it seems that is starting to be too tight on the T/O bearing. Just not sure what is the best next step or what to check.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks in advance.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Maybe one of the teeth on the plastic quadrant have stripped, and it is not holding it tightly as well anymore.

I would do another click if you can, it sounds like it's too loose.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I don't see any reason to touch cable when removing supercharger..

It could be adjuster or just cable .

Mine did lose a tooth on gear but after all work. I feel cable was cause for adjuster issue..

I switched to a single hook..manual adjustment
To me it has a longer draw and I find I don't need to slam floor board to shift.

texas_snake

Established Member
Yeah, had no idea why the clutch cable was soggy after they did that work. I will tighten it up one more click and see how the high rpm shifts go. Thanks.

texas_snake

Established Member
FIXED - FINALLY!!!

I replaced the stock clutch cable with a brand new stock Ford Cobra clutch cable and that did the trick (along with pressing just a bit on the cable adjuster to get 1 extra click). My clutch engages very low (1/2" or so) to the floor without an extra click (I believe means it still has good life left).

I guess the stock clutch had done some stretching at 50k (understandable). But I will never know why this came up after I took it to the dealership.

Just happy I can finally shift well again over 5k RPM. It would hang coming out of gear on the way to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread