stock coils vs smart coils

termcobra281

Established Member
Hey everyone, since I will be running a holley ecu should I stick with the stock coils or upgrade to smart coils? The car will make over 1,000 wheel hp when turned up. Is it a wise upgrade or am I ok with the stock coils?

cobracide

Established Member
The stock ecu and coils run past 1000 hp. Since you have a holley system, you should probably ask them and they will tell you to run their coils most likely.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think @96dreamer upgraded his coil packs to the LS style and did it pretty clean. While the stock COP's work I think the smart COP's work better. Just from what I've seen.

termcobra281

Established Member
Thanks, so probably a upgrade for later down the road. Also as I am thinking on it, looks like the smart coils may be in the way of the intake piping. I think I will still with the stock set up in that case until I have problems or just run out of things to upgrade down the road.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm running the ls2 d585 truck coils. For the money they are extremely hard to beat. The output on them is crazy high and they are "Smart". Just have to watch out for the auto discharge in your dwell settings. I am using almost all the factory wiring aside from the powered ground which I just went back to a threaded hole on the head with. I had some extra wires from EGR/SAI sensors I repurposed as the reference ground wires for the new coils. Since I started with a 96 wiring harness is was wired for waste spark which I also used for the d585 coils. You shouldn't have that issue on an oem cop harness. By my calculations running them in waste spark still gives 8ms dwell at 7500 rpm which is still well above what they need.

I modified the factory cop covers to allow the d585 coils to stick up through them. I also ended up using the factory boots and cop springs with a spark plug wire terminal for the d585 coils. Works perfect.

20210908_141334_.jpg

Mocking them up originally.

20190309_152451.jpg
20190309_172952.jpg
20190309_175609.jpg
20190310_015709.jpg

termcobra281

Established Member
I'm running the ls2 d585 truck coils. For the money they are extremely hard to beat. The output on them is crazy high and they are "Smart". Just have to watch out for the auto discharge in your dwell settings. I am using almost all the factory wiring aside from the powered ground which I just went back to a threaded hole on the head with. I had some extra wires from EGR/SAI sensors I repurposed as the reference ground wires for the new coils. Since I started with a 96 wiring harness is was wired for waste spark which I also used for the d585 coils. You shouldn't have that issue on an oem cop harness. By my calculations running them in waste spark still gives 8ms dwell at 7500 rpm which is still well above what they need.

I modified the factory cop covers to allow the d585 coils to stick up through them. I also ended up using the factory boots and cop springs with a spark plug wire terminal for the d585 coils. Works perfect.

View attachment 1731388
Mocking them up originally.

View attachment 1731389View attachment 1731390View attachment 1731391View attachment 1731392
Thats a really slick set up. I like that and its different. I will have to remember how you did all that. Thanks...

96dreamer

Established Member
Thats a really slick set up. I like that and its different. I will have to remember how you did all that. Thanks...

I think I made a template in solidworks when I did mine that is referenced off of the mounting holes. Ill see if I can dig it up. Makes laying out the holes simple. Just have to print it out and put on some stiff cardboard.

DCguy

Established Member
I plan to push to 1000whp on blower and will try the OEM coils for now....I don't feel like remote mounting smart coils. If you're going to 1500whp i'd say you'll def need smart coils......if you're turbo charged its a no brainer since the intake (like a Sullivan) will not stick out over the coils.

termcobra281

Established Member
I plan to push to 1000whp on blower and will try the OEM coils for now....I don't feel like remote mounting smart coils. If you're going to 1500whp i'd say you'll def need smart coils......if you're turbo charged its a no brainer since the intake (like a Sullivan) will not stick out over the coils.
I will be using a 2001 cobra intake thats custom ported with custom length.

Users who are viewing this thread