Stock crank pulley removal

Jeff_Svt22

Established Member
Well tonight me and a buddy was going to do a pulley swap on my L. We were going to remove the stock crank pulley and replace it with a 2#'er, but damn let me tell ya that stocker is on there TTTIIIGGGHHTTTT! I was warned this was going to happen but i just never had the time to change it...
Do any of you guys have any suggestions on getting this thing off there? We were afraid we were going to damage something so we just called it a night until I could get on here and see if any of you guys had any suggestions...:shrug:

Last edited:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
Make sure you are turning it to the right. Opposite of normal. Use the biggest bar you can fit under the truck and push like hell.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
i went at it from the top....you can fit a much longer bar, and you dont have to lay on the ground while trying to get that tight biotch loose

uncooked

Established Member
I layed on the ground, feet pushing against the inside of one wheel and my back on the inside of the other and hung / pulled on that #$%^er

Robert Francis

Established Member
When I changed my pulley the first time back in 2001 (and my truck was only about 3 months old) I used a breaker bar and the longest piece of pipe extension on the breaker bar I could get on it working from the bottom of the truck on 8" jack stands - and I didn't think I was ever going to get it to budge - but it did finally break loose.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably try as others have suggested and at it from the top of the truck where I could get a really long bar on it for leverage to break it loose.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
What causes it to get soo tight? The fact that it tightens the more you drive your car?

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
i dont want to hear it! wish me luck guys! good luck on taking yours off! am doing mine in a couple of weeks.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
I used a snap-on 14mm socket and a torque multiplier if you have acccess to one, use it.. if not long ass bar ftw!!! I also hvae the factory hold down tool, locks the flywheel teeth to the bell housing.. they were selling them on ebay.

voodoocustoms

Established Member
I read all these horror stories, so I was prepaired when I did mine. had the truck in the air, laid ouside of the pass. tire, grabbed my 20 inch breaker, and pulled. After that I realized that all yous guys are wussies :poke:. My truck had about 107k and was bone stock. I was able to break it loose with one arm :coolman:. Of course I may not be the smartest guy, but I can lift heavy things ;-).

volcomsurf76

Mr.Awesome
Established Member
i snapped about 4 socket wrenches, 2 sockets and 2 14mm hex tools... mine was tight all i can say is craftsman FTW returned them all and got new ones for free... then paid JDM to do it lol they snapped a few then put an air chisel on it to vibrate it loose and finally got her off

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Hire a pissed off Gorilla.....

I had a little trouble with mine. But since I'm 6' 1 and 260. It was no match for my trusty Craftsman 24" 1/2" breaker bar. A little weight goes a long way when your pulling down on a breaker bar. I jacked the truck up to about 3 feet in the air. Got under it and put my feet on the frame and gave a hard pull down on the Breaker bar. Now fast forward to today. I'm glad it's all over with and I have a quick change hub set up on it.

I have gone from stock to a 4# lower and now to a 6# lower. Next step is............who knows.

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
ive got mine already planned out. im going to have it on hydraulic lift in the air working from the bottom at a friend's shop. then we are going to change the tranny fluid while its in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread