Stock Eaton to ??

Low_Kal

Established Member
Not sure where to post this but I assume this would be a good start. I recently bought a 2003 Cobra with 28k original miles.
I eventually want to go with a bigger/better s/c and have been told the KB is the way to go. I am not wanting all the specs on which S/C makes the most power ... I can do that research.
What I would like is the cost points. So, my questions is, when you switched from your stock Eaton to your KB, Whipple, TVS, etc ... what was the total cost? Meaning, from the word GO to FiNISH? Thanks for any responses on this guys.

Pic of my ride attached.

Attachments

• 12729319_10153942902624771_1882901540885919098_n.jpg
    12729319_10153942902624771_1882901540885919098_n.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 10336611_10153927071459771_2000900691756882160_n.jpg
    10336611_10153927071459771_2000900691756882160_n.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 235

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Tvs is arguably the best way to go cost wise/return wise. 600whp for about $5-6k, depending on tuning bolt ons, etc. In general, you're looking at $5500-8k with whipples or KB's if you buy them brand new. People rarely mention all the supporting mods, apart from the $4-5k blower. You'll need a capable clutch as well, and it becomes a Pandora's box until you check off fuel, spark, tuning, exhaust, inlet restrictions, at the least an a/f gauge, etc. I'd plan $7500 and be happy to come out in the $6500 range on a low.

a 2.3 tvs hits up top almost like a 2.8/2.9 whipper or kb, but has better low end. Less stressful to spin as well/run cooler on average.

Thing is, you can find a used whipple or kb for $1500-2500, which makes the bang/$ tables sway to that idea quite a bit more.

Supporting mods need to be done regardless, and run at least $1000-1500 from fuel to cooling and tuning.

Last edited:

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Do you have any supporting mods? Take a look at my signature, I'd say I have around 6k in aftermarket parts (got the TVS used and some were done before I bought the car) and I'm at 600rwhp. I'm happy with that for now, but when I get bored another 1k and I'll be able to run e85 and hit 700.. Pretty remarkable in my opinion.

**EDIT***

Congrats on the ride BTW. Love the color

Last edited:

Low_Kal

Established Member
Thanks for the reply man.

Yeah, it isnt my first rodeo and I know how it goes. People say "Well, you can get 600rwhp for $5k with a Whipple; that's what I did." ... but they never tell you they spent $$$ on supporting mods.

I have full bolt ons right now and am currently tuned at 17* Timing on 91. Making about all I can make. I like the sound of the TVS price points. I will start looking into that. 600rwhp will be just fine for me. Lol.
I realize I will have to get the clutch upgraded and the IRS bracing done. More or less looking for the price points on the swap itself. Fuel system, install (because I dont trust myself not to screw up), and cost of the S/C itself so thanks for the info. You helped a lot.

Also, thanks for the comment on the color. I know it isn't stock to the Terminator cars but the Gotta Have It Green is amazing.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Quick and easy...
-BAP for fuel
-60lb injectors
-Bigger MAF
-Possibly PPRV delete
-Blower
-Tuner
-New and re-gapped plugs

Things that SHOULD be done sooner than later
IRS Bracing or FRPP Cover
26 Spline input w/ 26 spline clutch
Possible head cooling mod

I have 17-18 psi depending on temp tuned on 91.
-Longtube headers
-26 Spline Shaft w/ clutch
-Catted X
-Cat back
-RAI
-Throttle body
-60lb injectors
-Fore hat with GT pumps
-SCT Tuner
-SCT MAF (I can't remember what model. Either 2400 or 2600, not sure.)

With ice in the tank and 60ish degree temp outside, I made the numbers in my sig.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Love the color on that terminator OP. I vote TVS plus supporting mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambro

Established Member
Gen 2 TVS

I have to agree. I would have went tvs had I not got a killer deal on a used 2.3 whipple. The whipple is a pain to install with the non removeable inlet. Although I must say the whipple is the better looking blower, the tvs makes more power though.

GodStang

Established Member
First off super beautiful car!

There are mods you must do and there are mods you should do when going bigger blower. Also depends on if you do it yourself. Also depends on your goals. Do you want 93 build or an E85 build. You can build a really nice 630-650rwhp car with Whipple or KB for $6K new and $4K-$5K used if you do it yourself. I have run many different superchargers over the past 11 years. They are super easy to install. Can do a Whipple or KB in 2-3 hrs.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I have to agree. I would have went tvs had I not got a killer deal on a used 2.3 whipple. The whipple is a pain to install with the non removeable inlet. Although I must say the whipple is the better looking blower, the tvs makes more power though.

Yea that's one downside if someone wanted to take valve covers off.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

I'm like a one man crusade against this belief - so no offense towards you personally Rambro, but it's just not true. There is no guarantee a 2.3 TVS will outperform a 2.3 Whipple. One average, maybe a little more rwtq for a TVS car, but even that is not a sure thing.

To answer OP's original question - You should plan for 6k at least all in.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm like a one man crusade against this belief - so no offense towards you personally Rambro, but it's just not true. There is no guarantee a 2.3 TVS will outperform a 2.3 Whipple. One average, maybe a little more rwtq for a TVS car, but even that is not a sure thing.

To answer OP's original question - You should plan for 6k at least all in.

Im sure some of the dynos are happy but I ve seen several people post 650ish on pump gas with a tvs, and well over 700 on corn. Whipples tend to be close but usually 10-20hp less.

I didn't swap from the whipple to the tvs for power, I did it for the removable inlet, better pulley options and the whine.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
car looks sick op

I want a vmp tvs one day. I figure I will have to comfortably budget around 6-7k to do it right tho. I lean towards the tvs because it is more "similar" to the oem and has the case and inlet designed specifically for our cars.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Im sure some of the dynos are happy but I ve seen several people post 650ish on pump gas with a tvs, and well over 700 on corn. Whipples tend to be close but usually 10-20hp less.

I didn't swap from the whipple to the tvs for power, I did it for the removable inlet, better pulley options and the whine.

Lack of whine with TVS? I thought I read somewhere they barely make any noise(TVS). That to me is one of the signatures of the 03-04 Cobras

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Lack of whine with TVS? I thought I read somewhere they barely make any noise(TVS). That to me is one of the signatures of the 03-04 Cobras

This was just being talked about in another thread - it makes no sense. Some people buy a TVS and put it on their car and run a 3.00 upper only and it sings, some do the exact same thing and report silence. Most report 2.3 Whipples on only 17lbs are pretty quiet, but mine is pretty loud - but the pitch isn't that great. I actually prefer the whine of the TVS. My Whipple sounds like there is a tornado siren going off in the distance, it doesn't have that "machine" whine to it like an eaton\tvs. I bought my Whipple instead of a TVS purely based on coming across a good local deal on the Whipple, but honestly I don't have any regrets and would do the same thing again.

Users who are viewing this thread