Stock Gt500 vs. Paxton blown SRT8

littlejohn

Established Member
Caught up with an SRT8 Charger last night, rolling 20's and I could hear the blower whine. We went out of town a couple of miles, and the first race we went from 30-120ish. I pulled him pretty good, had about 8-10 lengths. We pulled off on a side road for a minute; he was really low on fuel. So I followed him to the Shell. The guy was late 40's, seemed pretty cool, he popped the hood for me. He had an intercooled Paxton setup, not sure about the exhaust. He then tells me he had the work done at Davenport motorsports in Calgary, Alberta(Canada), who are pretty reputable. It supposedly put down 480+ rwhp.

With him having a centrifigal, I told him we should go from higher rolls 'cause he'll probably have better top end. So once we were out of town, first race from 60-130; I pulled by 7+. Second race, 75-140; I pulled again, but only by 6ish, and he was staying with on top. So, third race I said "lets go from 100"; finally from 100-150 I let him get the jump, and then I couldn't catch him. The next race, again 100-150, I jumped him by half a car and stayed ahead. The last race before heading home(more like before cops show up), 110-160, he jumped me by a length and I missed a shift so he got out on me.

All in all, good races and lots of fun, definitely made me appreciate the bottom and midrange of positive displacement blowers. Off a low roll it really wasn't much of a contest. By the way it was only about 35 deg. F, so the cars were running very good.

CodyCobra

SVT Fanatic
Established Member
well both cars are heavy, his is making 480rwhp+ though? Maybe he doesnt know how to drive

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
^^^^LOL, well since its an auto, he must have really really big issues.

evo connevo

Established Member
Something doesn't add up..You shouldn't pull him that hard especially if he has an auto.

cthunder

Established Member
there have been a lot of problems with an S/C on the SRT8's... namely blown engines. the cam is very aggressive stock and they havent been able to successfully hack into the dodge ecm.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
What timeslips have you gotten with the GT500? Ill guess if your running 12.3s to a stock SRTs 13.1 that right there is your 8 car lengths. There is certainly something amiss with beating an SRT-8 with 480rwhp by the same amount.:bs:

CobraRyan

Banned
Yeah to be honest i dont think a stock gt500 should pull more than 5 cars on a stock srt8 those cars are quick....and 480 rwhp...im not sure how much the charger weighs but something doesnt really add up...im not calling b/s but theres something wrong with that charger

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Yeah to be honest i dont think a stock gt500 should pull more than 5 cars on a stock srt8 those cars are quick....and 480 rwhp...im not sure how much the charger weighs but something doesnt really add up...im not calling b/s but theres something wrong with that charger

IIRC, they weigh ~4,300lbs.

Nicky B

There is something fishy about the race. I give one reason why you won. The SRT probably didn't have it in Autostick mode where you can select the gear. So when you raced and he floors it there is that almost 1 full second of hesitation and thats why you would pull ahead hard in the begining. I'm not saying you shouldn't have won but not by anymore then 3cars.

littlejohn

Established Member
The guy told me he was using the paddle shift; he did state that out of the hole it wasn't much stronger than stock, but that midrange and top end were definitely stronger. I want to try my digital camera in video mode next time, see if it works. It's quite the rush doing 130-160 for extended periods of time. It helps that my town has only 25,000 pop., but an oil town with lots of money and lots of toys.

I know that my car is a strong runner, as I've walked an '07 C6 convertible by 5+ lengths to 100 mph(a couple times), and was even with an '02 C5 Z06 (who had a tune) when rolling from 10-20 to 150(a couple of times too).

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The guy told me he was using the paddle shift; he did state that out of the hole it wasn't much stronger than stock, but that midrange and top end were definitely stronger. I want to try my digital camera in video mode next time, see if it works. It's quite the rush doing 130-160 for extended periods of time. It helps that my town has only 25,000 pop., but an oil town with lots of money and lots of toys.

I know that my car is a strong runner, as I've walked an '07 C6 convertible by 5+ lengths to 100 mph(a couple times), and was even with an '02 C5 Z06 (who had a tune) when rolling from 10-20 to 150(a couple of times too).

Altitude? Would explain the vettes, not the srt8 tho...

TTNotch

Established Member
You could have a freak tune from the factory. I've heard of cars pulling mad timming due to the cold weather and putting down 520-540 rwhp. Which is how some people have pulled 11.2 with stock gt500's... Besides a 4300lb car vs a 3850, I dunno maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread