Stock Stereo

whiplash306

Established Member
Guys, I know this has been discussed to some degree, but I want to ask a few specifics.

1. What wattage rating is the stock stereo in the 2013 Boss?
2. Is there anything that can be done, utilizing the stock speaker locations and factory head unit, to have a decent sounding sound system?
3. Could a very small amp and sub be mounted under the passenger seat or under the rear seats that would add a little thump (not after a ton), while still not taking up space in the trunk?

Any suggestions or ideas would be great. I'm not after some Earth rocking sound - just something decent that can be VAGUELY comparable to the Shaker 500 or Mach 460 sound systems...

Rebel302

Established Member
Replace the stock speakers with the 5x7/6x8 speakers of your choice and pick a small 4ch that is RMS matched to the speakers go with....

m1215

Established Member
Root Mean Squared, or RMS, is a formula used to calculate an approximate average for the power an amplifier can continuously create and a speaker receives. When used in reference to speakers, the term helps identify the power of the speaker and the quality of sound you hear.

Rebel302

Established Member
Horribly ignorant here Rebel - "RMS matched"????

Sorry I should have clarified a little more. Alot of people don't understand the difference between "peak" and "RMS" wattage. Many companies advertise "peak" but you should look at "RMS" to know what the speaker/amp can handle continously.

Stock radios on average pump out 10-20 watts RMS. You buy a set of speakers that say "240 watts" but RMS is typically a 1/3 of that, so at say 80 watts RMS, you are barely moving that cone using only the deck. While it may sound better than stock speakers, it doesn't sound great. So you need an amp to make up the difference.

My suggestion (because this is what I'm doing):

2 sets of 5x7/6x8 two way(Infinity Kappa or Alpine SPR series provide quality sound for less that $200 a set and handle up to 100 watts RMS)

4ch amp(depends on the brand whether you can mount under the seat, but you can always mount it in the trunk on the back of the rear seat)
-JL Audio, JBL or Alpine would suit your needs just fine in this regard (just make sure to choose an amp that doesn't max out your speaker choices SPL/wattage or they distort and blow prematurely)

Some people will scream for components(separate tweeter/woofer), but unless there is a factory location to put the tweeter or don't mind mounting them externally, they aren't so necessary for what the average person is trying to accomplish

Hopefully that helps:thumbsup:

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
Sorry I should have clarified a little more. Alot of people don't know the difference between "peak" and "RMS" wattage. Many companies advertise "peak" but you should look at "RMS" to know what the speaker/amp can handle continously.

Stock radios on average pump out 10-20 watts RMS. You buy a set of speakers that say "240 watts" but RMS is typically a 1/3 of that, so at say 80 watts RMS, you are barely moving that cone. While it may sound better than stock speakers, it doesn't sound great. So you need an amp to make up the difference.

My suggestion (because this is what I'm doing):

2 sets of 5x7/6x8 two way(Infinity Kappa or Alpine SPR series provide quality sound for less that $200 a set and handle up to 100 watts RMS)

4ch amp(depends on the brand whether you can mount under the seat, but you can always mount it in the trunk on the back of the rear seat)
-JL Audio, JBL or Alpine would suit your needs just fine in this regard (just make sure to choose an amp that doesn't max out your speaker choices SPL/wattage or they distort and blow prematurely)

Some people will scream for components(separate tweeter/woofer), but unless there is a factory location to put the tweeter or don't mind mounting them externally, they aren't so necessary for what the average person is trying to accomplish

Hopefully that helps:thumbsup:
Thank you Rebel for your thorough explanation. That, coupled with M1215's post, helps to make a little more sense of what y'all are talking about. So if I wind up going with this BOSS (selling the C6Z), if you don't mind, I'll likely send you a PM asking for your impressions of what you put together stereo wise. To be honest, the amp mounted to back of the rear seat was something I never even thought of. I imagine that would be a better place compared to my original idea of under the seat as it'll allow for the amp to remain much cooler. Thanks again!

Rebel302

Established Member
Thank you Rebel for your thorough explanation. That, coupled with M1215's post, helps to make a little more sense of what y'all are talking about. So if I wind up going with this BOSS (selling the C6Z), if you don't mind, I'll likely send you a PM asking for your impressions of what you put together stereo wise. To be honest, the amp mounted to back of the rear seat was something I never even thought of. I imagine that would be a better place compared to my original idea of under the seat as it'll allow for the amp to remain much cooler. Thanks again!

No problem, ask anytime. Never hurts to help :beer:

bpmurr

Established Member
I can tell you right now just swapping speakers won't cut it. I did it with mine and it only sounds marginally better. The stock amp equalization is terrible so you'd have to bypass it with a device like the JL CleanSweep. As soon as you raise the volume the stock stereo starts pulling lows, mids, and highs as if it was the stock speakers so they don't distort. When you have a speaker that can handle the volume it just makes it sound hollow.

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
I can tell you right now just swapping speakers won't cut it. I did it with mine and it only sounds marginally better. The stock amp equalization is terrible so you'd have to bypass it with a device like the JL CleanSweep.
I think that's what Rebel and M1215 were saying... Although, I'm not familiar at all with what a JL CleanSweep is. Guess I'll look it up... :)

Jroc

Established Member
If you run a good external amp then you're likely going to want to upgrade to some better/bigger speaker wiring. Maybe 14ga or 16ga wiring. I did the system in my truck and ran 14ga Stinger wire and run some Pioneer speakers of a Pioneer amp that's mated to them well. You should be able to wire the whole car with 50 ft of wire.

Rebel302

Established Member
If you run a good external amp then you're likely going to want to upgrade to some better/bigger speaker wiring. Maybe 14ga or 16ga wiring. I did the system in my truck and ran 14ga Stinger wire and run some Pioneer speakers of a Pioneer amp that's mated to them well. You should be able to wire the whole car with 50 ft of wire.

post_good.gif
Definitely :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread