Stock Tires vs the Kr Stock tires

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
Has anyone gone from from the origial factory tires on thir GT500s to the stock GT500 KR tires. Was there a big difference was it worth the swap. I do realize that for launching the car we need the dr' in which I have a set but how about handling wise.
Thanks for the help

chuckstang

Established Member
hahah

I just did this swap

At first I noticed a huge difference, now not so much.

Either I am used to it or it was just all in my head trying to justify the high price for the KR tires.

But in all honestly, they are quieter and drive nicer on the highway and seem better around corners but nothing out of this world. From a stop, they are the same, as you said, DR's are need from a dig to get any traction.

I am happy with them but was hoping for a bit more

force recon

Established Member
you guys know shelby american has them on sale all 4 for 399.99 and if you are a member you get 15% off that, i just order mine today all 4 plus shipping to Iow shipping for 401.77 a killer dealer

chuckstang

Established Member
Hmm I went to the site and it still says $250 for fronts and $300 for the rears which I what I paid not long ago.

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
I saw the sale on Shelby which is what got me thinking. Im keeping 18s on my car so for that price to keep them around is not a bad idea.
Chuck, its probable that u got used to them. Just like 570 to the rear seems slower now than it did for me.
Any one else.
Thanks

chuckstang

Established Member
well I still would like a link that shows $100 a tire because I can't find it.

I got robbed, if you can get them for $100 each, its a no brainer

I paid like a grand :(

mobeydick

Established Member
Front page on TS then you have to call. I ordered some Monday.

I think the only difference is the Stock GT500 tires are tread wear rated at 220 and the KR tireas ar rated at 180.

Last edited:

harley99fb

Established Member
You guys who are buying the KR tires should check the "born on" date. Those tires are probably already 4 years old, hense the fire sale.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I really think both the kr an the regular tires suck for the rear tires there fine for.the front unless you ds your car there is.a much better tire choice

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Front page on TS then you have to call. I ordered some Monday.

I think the only difference is the Stock GT500 tires are tread wear rated at 220 and the KR tireas ar rated at 180.

The real "R" tire, original equipment 2000 Cobra R - BFG KD, 265/40/18 - 100 rating. Now that is a true sticky tire!! Gumball comes to mind. 180 is softer than 220, but it's not a 100. When the 100's were new, you could hear every pebble, and piece of sand picked up by the tires and hit in the tire well as you drive up the street. Sticky - 1G plus, with a best documented 1.04G in a 2000R.

100 treadwear BFG KD's were OEM installed only, after that, BFG only offered 200 rating as replacements.

R

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The real "R" tire, original equipment 2000 Cobra R - BFG KD, 265/40/18 - 100 rating. Now that is a true sticky tire!! Gumball comes to mind. 180 is softer than 220, but it's not a 100. When the 100's were new, you could hear every pebble, and piece of sand picked up by the tires and hit in the tire well as you drive up the street. Sticky - 1G plus, with a best documented 1.04G in a 2000R.

100 treadwear BFG KD's were OEM installed only, after that, BFG only offered 200 rating as replacements.

R

The tires on my KR also pick up every pebble that hits the tire well and it drives me crazy. BTW the KR is also 1G capable. :coolman:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The tires on my KR also pick up every pebble that hits the tire well and it drives me crazy. BTW the KR is also 1G capable. :coolman:

I know, the KR is capable of 1G, and that is impressive given its weight but the 2000 Cobra R was on underpinnings that were originally from 1979 FOX technology with a few upgrades/updates along the way through the SN-95's. That technology was way behind in the 2000 Cobra R era (except the IRS), in comparision to the KR's technology level when it was offered to the public. The KR's suspension technology was not "outdated" when it was produced. The 2000 Cobra R (with its IRS) achieved 1G+ with otherwise Ford Fairmont related underpinnings from 20+ years prior, and a few updates as I mentioned. I believe the SN-95 technology was called FOX-4, which means it was still a variation of the FOX platform originally designed for a 1979 Mustang and Faimont.

I found that once I drove my 2000 Cobra R and put some miles on it, the pebble issue was not as bad as it was originally. There was another variable for this, I bought the 00R when it was 3 years old, it had 21.6 miles on it. When I sold it it was 8 years old and had 850 miles on it. Did the tires become hard from age during the time I owned the car and that is the reason they were not as sticky as when they were 3 years old?

R

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
Why can't people back up why a 3 or4 year old tire is bad?????? I honestly just would like to know for safety more than anything.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Why can't people back up why a 3 or4 year old tire is bad?????? I honestly just would like to know for safety more than anything.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 3, 4 or even 5 year old new tire. It all depends upon how it was stored.

R

mobeydick

Established Member
I don't know the age of the original tire that came on my car. The F1s I replaced them with were made 07/08 so there a little over 2 years old now. Trust me there not going to last long.

Users who are viewing this thread