Stock vs Tune vs Tune+K&N vs Tune + CAI

YELL03

Established Member
I am thoroughly researching mods for my 2011 5.0 automatic.....

I know that axlebacks are only for sound and maybe save 20lbs of weight, so I am not too worried about that, but I have compared 4 different 5.0 automatics in 4 different configurations.

STOCK
TUNE ONLY
TUNE + K&N drop-in
TUNE + CAI

Here are the results:

The more I drive my 5.0 the more I appreciate it.

The hard part is figuring out what mods I want or if I even want them.

I've researched quite a bit of guys with 5.0 automatics in this area, all on stock tires...

Here is what I have come up with:

stock - [email protected] (1.87 60')
tune only - [email protected] (1.89)
tune & K&N drop-in - [email protected] (1.90)
tune & cai - [email protected] (1.92)

All runs were in cold November and December air at sea level tracks in PA, NJ, or MD.

I am leaning towards a Tune, but I don't know if I want a K&N or CAI?

If I go CAI, I like the Airaid CAI, it is actually available with a non-oiled filter that supposedly flows better than paper or oiled. I also like that the Airaid has a tube you can insert so you can use it with or without a tune.
If I go CAI I will consider the Roush CAI, C&L, or Airaid, all can be used with stock tune.

As for tunes, I have a SCT xcal3 already.

The tuners I am leaning towards are Bama Tunes, Evolution Performance (Jon Lund), or BBR.
VMP, Amazon, and others look good also.
Evolution is fairly local as are Bama Tunes, but I don't know if you can actually use Bama Tunes other than via e-mail.
I actually have a friend who is a SCT tuner and would dyno-tune it for me, but I prefer to go with a tuner who has a 5.0 automatic themselves.

As for axlebacks, if I do go with one it will most likely be the Flowmaster Hushpower or Roush.
My daughter has SLP Loudmouths on her 2007 GT and I love them, but I don't know if I want them on the 2011?

Any advice or thoughts?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Hushpower have bad drone. Roush is loud at WOT but has no drone. GT500 have a nice rumble louder than stock but not to loud, no drone. Love the GT500 axle backs.

Friend has auto with Steeda CAI and VMP tune and ran 12 flat. Lives in FL. Temp was in the 50's.
I have VMP tune and it is very smooth also a Brenspeed and it is also very good. Looking to get Airaid this spring. It is said the Airaid makes the most torque and JLT make the most hp. So you are looking 25-30 rwhp with tune and CAI.

YELL03

Established Member
Hushpower have bad drone. Roush is loud at WOT but has no drone. GT500 have a nice rumble louder than stock but not to loud, no drone. Love the GT500 axle backs.

Friend has auto with Steeda CAI and VMP tune and ran 12 flat. Lives in FL. Temp was in the 50's.
I have VMP tune and it is very smooth also a Brenspeed and it is also very good. Looking to get Airaid this spring. It is said the Airaid makes the most torque and JLT make the most hp. So you are looking 25-30 rwhp with tune and CAI.

Thanks for the great info.

VMP is definitely one of my considerations as is the airaid.
I would say I am 80% sure I will go with the Airaid, I really like the non-oiled filter option.
The other 20% chance is just a K&N or stay stock.

As for tuners, I am not sure yet, but opinions from people who have the actual tune in their cars will definitely help me decide.

As for exhaust, I might just stay stock.

DIB5.0

Established Member
If you are just driving on the street the race tunes are very touchy with the throttle response. The VMP is very smooth for the street and the Brenspeed street tune is also very nice for the street.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we have a 2011 GT auto

I would be happy to have Rick give you a call to discuss your tuning options and any other questions you have ..PM your # to me

YELL03

Established Member
If you are just driving on the street the race tunes are very touchy with the throttle response. The VMP is very smooth for the street and the Brenspeed street tune is also very nice for the street.

Thanks for the info.

we have a 2011 GT auto

I would be happy to have Rick give you a call to discuss your tuning options and any other questions you have ..PM your # to me

Will do.

I know you tuned Nick's car, I know him from back in the day before the sissy had to move to Florida because it was too cold here:lol:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i tested each part as i went,

the cai is good for .1 and 2 mph. not sure how your slowing down compared to just tune, as far as what your reading on other people

YELL03

Established Member
i tested each part as i went,

the cai is good for .1 and 2 mph. not sure how your slowing down compared to just tune, as far as what your reading on other people

The tuners I have spoken to feel a good cai is worth another 10hp with a tune over a tune by itself, so I agree, it is worth it.

AMChrisRose

10hp is about what you'll find with the intake. There are many good options for tuning with the 2011 platform. Ourselves (Bama), Amazon, Evo, etc. Go with whoever makes you feel comfortable and provides the best customer service.

I think you'll be hauling ass after a CAI/tune, though. On street tires and heavy 18x9 and 18x10 Bullitt wheels, with a CAI, Tune, 93 Octane, 4.10 Gears and Off-Road X-Pipe, we went 11.76 in our Auto and 11.68 with slicks. We then went 10.93 with a nitrous tune. Point is that we're out there testing and calibrating at the track, here in-house on our Dynojet 224xLC, and on the street. You can rest assured you'll get a quality calibration.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqyHOsvyMY"]YouTube - AmericanMuscle 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.93 @ 125 MPH[/nomedia]

YELL03

Established Member
10hp is about what you'll find with the intake. There are many good options for tuning with the 2011 platform. Ourselves (Bama), Amazon, Evo, etc. Go with whoever makes you feel comfortable and provides the best customer service.

I think you'll be hauling ass after a CAI/tune, though. On street tires and heavy 18x9 and 18x10 Bullitt wheels, with a CAI, Tune, 93 Octane, 4.10 Gears and Off-Road X-Pipe, we went 11.76 in our Auto and 11.68 with slicks. We then went 10.93 with a nitrous tune. Point is that we're out there testing and calibrating at the track, here in-house on our Dynojet 224xLC, and on the street. You can rest assured you'll get a quality calibration.

YouTube - AmericanMuscle 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.93 @ 125 MPH

You guys tuned my 2003 Mach 1, I actually bought the SCT xcal3 from AM with the 3 custom Bama tunes.

Right now I am trying to update my xcal3 to accept a tune for my 2011.

My technical skills SUCK:nonono:

I spoke to Ryan and Dan today, both were very cool.

YELL03

Established Member
The STOCK - [email protected] (1.87 60') you found is not typical.
Stock auto is 13.0 @108ish

Maybe in 90+ degrees, but in -1400 DAs 12.4-12.5 @ 113-114 is more like it.
Phil is just a really good driver which is worth 0.1-0.2 and 1-2mph

Uncle Phil runs 12.4 all day with his stock car. 2 tune only cars on stock tires are running 12.2. Another with tune and CAI was running 12.1.

Ford Mustang Forums - View Single Post - 12.3 in stock auto GT

Living in the Northeast we get the benefit of -DAs and well prepped tracks, plus alot of guys like Phil who aren't afraid to run their cars.:rolling:

i think the stock airbox with a tunneled system will work better

Explain this, I am interested

ViciousJay

Established Member
Maybe in 90+ degrees, but in -1400 DAs 12.4-12.5 @ 113-114 is more like it.
Phil is just a really good driver which is worth 0.1-0.2 and 1-2mph

Living in the Northeast we get the benefit of -DAs and well prepped tracks, plus alot of guys like Phil who aren't afraid to run their cars.:rolling:

Explain this, I am interested

much like the S54 engine on the BMW M3 the mustang's engine dont have alot of room for growth like it did in the past. The factory finally put a motor out that requires more tuning to get the best of the engine rather then parts. On the S54 M3 engine the factory intake proved to be more efficient then the aftermarket CAI do to it being sealed and keeping out unwanted heat from the engine.

i think by maybe adding a tube from the front bumper and somehow sealing it to the bottom of the factory air box may give you the same effect and power then having to purchase an intake that needs to be tuned and costing you more in the end

YELL03

Established Member
much like the S54 engine on the BMW M3 the mustang's engine dont have alot of room for growth like it did in the past. The factory finally put a motor out that requires more tuning to get the best of the engine rather then parts. On the S54 M3 engine the factory intake proved to be more efficient then the aftermarket CAI do to it being sealed and keeping out unwanted heat from the engine.

i think by maybe adding a tube from the front bumper and somehow sealing it to the bottom of the factory air box may give you the same effect and power then having to purchase an intake that needs to be tuned and costing you more in the end

Valid point

If I don't see a cai making more than a 0.05 and 0.5mph difference with or without a tune I might just stay stock or use a K&N in the stock airbox with a tune.

Sure, 0.05 and 0.5 can make a difference, but it is cool to pop the hood and say you just got beat by a stock car.;-)

AMChrisRose

The bone stock autos I've seen - with bone stock tires - and bone stock tire pressure - have all run between 12.7-13.2. Ours went 13.0 @ 109 and 110 all day.

Drop the tire pressure, you'll pick up some more. Go with a different set of tires, you'll go even faster.

Low 12's stock is NOT typical.

5.0jake

Established Member
The bone stock autos I've seen - with bone stock tires - and bone stock tire pressure - have all run between 12.7-13.2. Ours went 13.0 @ 109 and 110 all day.

Drop the tire pressure, you'll pick up some more. Go with a different set of tires, you'll go even faster.

Thank you,

as I was saying...

5 DOT 0

Established Member

Interesting, have you or are you planning on doing this to your car? I'd like to see some times with this mod and a drop in K&N.

YELL03

Established Member

Either way....
I guess it would be nice to see people showing the difference between how they ran before and after each change.
If somebody ran a 13.2@109 and then with a cai ran 13.1@110 and then added a tune and ran 12.9@112 that would mean as much to me as if another person posted 12.5@113 to 12.4@114 to 12.2@116 after the same mods, both gains would mean the same to me.

Interesting, have you or are you planning on doing this to your car? I'd like to see some times with this mod and a drop in K&N.

I am sure a lot of people would be interested

Users who are viewing this thread