Stopped and ticketed. In my driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tistan

Established Member
So is it a criminal offense if I do a burnout with my four wheeler, dirtbike, lawn mower, or go-kart in my yard? I did have a riding mower that was kinda messed up. When you put it in gear I would burn the tires for about 10 feet.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Legal or not, that really blows. Good luck with the ticket! I always thought it was perfectly fine to do whatever you want on private property - obviously within common sense (although I know that's an opinion, I'm sure you all know what I mean.)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I didn't say it wasn't but I dont see this being unbeatable in court, esp if it's his first offense, which might be amended to something that carries no points.

ps. It's a criminal traffic violation?.....

There are two Indiana statutes that pertain to "unsafe start." One is a misdemeanor, similar to reckless and the other isnt. I dont know which he was written under, but for the officer to write on private property without the owners permission, it would have to be the criminal charge.

99electricgreen

Established Member
wife works for a law firm and one of the partners is now the superior court judge here in my county. says it is bs and you shouldnt even need an attorney but that is just his opinion and it is in georgia. and for all of those going to hate on this info i just called him and talked to him about it amongst the stuff we were shooting the doo-doo about!!

nathanralph

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
There are two Indiana statutes that pertain to "unsafe start." One is a misdemeanor, similar to reckless and the other isnt. I dont know which he was written under, but for the officer to write on private property without the owners permission, it would have to be the criminal charge.

This is the local ordinance on the ticket:

IC 9-21-8-23
Starting a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked
Sec. 23. A person may not start a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked until the movement can be made with reasonable safety.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

That said, I don't even have to have a registered, plated vehicle to drive on my property. I don't even have to have a driver's license to drive on my property (think farm vehicles).

This is because the traffic laws do not apply to private property.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
This is the local ordinance on the ticket:

IC 9-21-8-23
Starting a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked
Sec. 23. A person may not start a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked until the movement can be made with reasonable safety.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

That said, I don't even have to have a registered, plated vehicle to drive on my property. I don't even have to have a driver's license to drive on my property (think farm vehicles).

This is because the traffic laws do not apply to private property.

Some traffic laws do apply - again; your best bet is to fight this however contiued posting here only weakens your case.

oldmodman

Established Member
Get a gate at the end of your driveway.

That should deter the police from coming on your property without your permission. Or a warrant.

That is assuming that the remainder of your property is fenced.

Common

Established Member

Got it.

jshen

Established Member
wife works for a law firm and one of the partners is now the superior court judge here in my county. says it is bs and you shouldnt even need an attorney but that is just his opinion and it is in georgia. and for all of those going to hate on this info i just called him and talked to him about it amongst the stuff we were shooting the doo-doo about!!

In GA you can absolutely get a ticket on private property for traffic cases. Tell the judge to look at 40-6-3- if it could be construed as reckless driving- it is ticketable here. Our Improper Starting only applies to public roadways but generally isn't used like the OP's facts.

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
hahaha a lawyer? its a no-points ticket in NY, idk about where you are, but its 25-250 dollar fine, starts at 25 or 50, depending on the judges mood, and then doubles everytime you get one, if you talk to the da, they reduce it to nothing and tell you to not do it again. Regardless, I'd be pissed, but just go to court, plead not guilty, tell them it was on your property when you talk to the da.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Your state

Regardless of what has been posted above- there are two issues that are not clear and the first is whether traffic laws apply to private areas and second, whether your actions constituted a vio of Improper Start.

A review of your state's statutes as to applicability you start with definitions:

9-13-2-137. Private road.

"Private road" means a way or place in private ownership that is used for vehicular travel by the owner and those having express or implied permission from the owner but not by other persons. [ I read this - your driveway ]

9-21-1-9. Locations subject to applicability of article.

Except when a different place is specifically referred to, this article applies to the operation of vehicles upon highways and private roads of a residential subdivision, regardless of who maintains them. [ I read this as traffic laws apply to your driveway ]

It appears to me traffic laws apply unless specifically excepted and I didn't find an exception. One may exist- I just didn't have the time to look. A lawyer in your area should be consulted because if it does apply, the case becomes what is called a "matter of fact" for which a hearing would be necessary.

Good Luck

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Do you have emergency personnel standing by? Was your driveway supported and paved in accordance with NHRA standards? Is your driveway licensed as a race track?

using that logic, why are the Nevada open road races allowed, I guarantee that Nevada highway 318 isn't built to NHRA or any other sanctioning racing body.. yet, there are cars doing in excess of 200 mph on it..

nathanralph

Established Member
20LethalVenom03 said:
hahaha a lawyer? its a no-points ticket in NY, idk about where you are, but its 25-250 dollar fine, starts at 25 or 50, depending on the judges mood, and then doubles everytime you get one, if you talk to the da, they reduce it to nothing and tell you to not do it again. Regardless, I'd be pissed, but just go to court, plead not guilty, tell them it was on your property when you talk to the da.

It's a $150 ticket with 4 points here.

jshen said:
A review of your state's statutes as to applicability you start with definitions:

9-13-2-137. Private road.

"Private road" means a way or place in private ownership that is used for vehicular travel by the owner and those having express or implied permission from the owner but not by other persons. [ I read this - your driveway ]

Except when a different place is specifically referred to, this article applies to the operation of vehicles upon highways and private roads of a residential subdivision, regardless of who maintains them. [ I read this as traffic laws apply to your driveway ]

It appears to me traffic laws apply unless specifically excepted and I didn't find an exception. One may exist- I just didn't have the time to look. A lawyer in your area should be consulted because if it does apply, the case becomes what is called a "matter of fact" for which a hearing would be necessary.

Those are interesting articles.

That said, I don't even have to register my vehicle on private property. I don't have to plate it or even have a driver's license so long as I don't leave my private property, so it's unlikely a civil traffic charge applies.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
using that logic, why are the Nevada open road races allowed, I guarantee that Nevada highway 318 isn't built to NHRA or any other sanctioning racing body.. yet, there are cars doing in excess of 200 mph on it..

It is called an exception or exemption. It is a creation of statute.

nathanralph

Established Member

Except when a different place is specifically referred to, this article applies to the operation of vehicles upon highways and private roads of a residential subdivision, regardless of who maintains them.

Good Luck

My driveway is not a residential subdivision. Those roads are open to the public, and my driveway is not.

I updated the first post with pics.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
So, you were stopped right at the end of the driveway at the intersection with a public road? And it appears as if your burnout is within 50 feet of the road, is that accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread