storage in winter

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
Get a car bag (google car bag, located in Michigan) That's what I use, and the car goes in clean and comes out clean. I have been using this car bag for the past 5 years.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Winter storage I been doing for 20+ years.

Full tank of gas
Stabil in gas
6 Pie tins under the front, rear, and sides (2 on each side) of car filled with Moth Balls.
CTEK Battery tender.
Car cover.

Let sit till spring and do not start.

Change oil in spring before starting and then drive it like a baby till you get out all of that old gas with stabil in it.

The hardest part of doing this is catching a lot of Moths. Gotta start early in the year to get enough Balls.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
* For you racers that run water in you supercharger after cooler...Make sure you put antifreeze in there for the winter months!!!

1. Fully detail car. (Car cover)
2. Half tank of fuel and screw the added crap. (I take it out for a nice low power drive in the spring just to burn the crap fuel out of it or disconnect my fuel line and pump it out.)
3. Fresh oil change.
4. Put the car up on jack stands at the suspension points so the suspension is loaded. Keeps the tire from getting flat spots and the shock shafts from surface rust.
5. Car always sits with a battery tender.
6. I grease all the suspension areas with grease fittings to get any moisture out.

* I have a victor sonic pest chaser hooked up in the garage. When I moved in to my new house we had a slight issue but ever since I installed these things I have not seen anything. Highly recommend! :rockon:

I never start the car until spring. Unless you are driving it to warm it up, it will never reach operating temps so all you re doing is getting condensation in the oil. Have you ever noticed that film of gunk on the oil fill cap when you do your oil changes in the cold months? Guess what that is!

In the spring I go over all the fluids and when everything checks out. I use the throttle to the floor and crank it for a few seconds to get the oil moving. Then fire it up on the jack stands and look under it for any fluid leaks.

I will say my car does a bunch of sitting. I don't take it out unless its either going racing and to blow the tires off and the list above has been followed since I bought the car in 2004. It put down the numbers in my sig so I must be doing something right.

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I live in SD...
Full detail
Stabil in 1/2 tank of gas
Battery Tender
Damp rid trunk and passenger compartment
Heated garage
I put mine on rollers to move around if needed..

MTBSully

Established Member
  1. Full tank of gas with stabil
  2. Drive around to ensure stabil mixes
  3. Change oil/filter
  4. Full interior/exterior detail
  5. Put dryer sheets in interior/exhaust pipes
  6. Drive tires onto old rugs (probably overkill)
  7. Disconnect battery
  8. Car cover

Don't put the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots. Totally unnecessary with modern steel belted radials. Not good for your suspension to be hanging anyways. If it makes you feel better over-inflate your tires a bit.

This system has worked perfect for me for years with multiple cars.

Users who are viewing this thread