storage in winter

xhodzax

Established Member
guys i live in mn and winter is coming.
is there anything special i need to do to my car?
car is always in garage so do i need cover?
please let me know what you guys think.
thanks

mp23

Established Member
Full tank of gas with stabil

Change Oil so when you start it in the spring you are not sucking up all the sediment that settled.

I like to squirt a little bit of wd 40 in the cylinders to prevent corrosion
Battery tender

Maybe plug the tail pipes if you are in a mouse prone area

car cover is always a good Idea

That's about all I do

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
+1 to what was mentioned above...I do all those same things except the oil in cylinders

I also over inflate the tires so they don't go flat on me, but that's not really necessary.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
This is my list...

Obviously clean it and wax it. Clean the interior so there's no food smell.
Stabil in a full tank of gas
Battery tender
Inflate tires all the way
Tub of Damp-Rid in the passenger compartment and in the trunk.
Get some baking soda that you use for the fridge and put one box in the trunk and one in the passenger compartment.
Car cover. I'm using a Budge Duro. $46 on amazon.
Rags in the tailpipes

I'm still figuring out a good anti-mice solution. Some say dryer sheets but I guess they don't work for some.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
guys i live in mn and winter is coming.
is there anything special i need to do to my car?
car is always in garage so do i need cover?
please let me know what you guys think.
thanks

Good questions op. Seems how this will be my first winter with the Cobra I was going to ask the same questions/ for recommendations in about a month

sub

akeohan

Established Member
Clean it real well inside and out, Stabil in a full tank of gas, rugs under the tires, and silica gel box's inside the garage for moisture control. I also use a air purifier and car cover as well as a heater and battery tender. I don't change the oil till spring.

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
There are tons of threads on this topic and everyone will tell you something different. To start or not to start etc. I would definitely get a cover though. I uses California Car Covers.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I too live in MN, op. This will be my 4th winter storing my cobra and haven't had any problems with how I store it. I usually put layers of carpet under the tires and crank up the tire pressure to atleast 40-45 psi. But I recently ordered the spendy race ramp flatstoppers.

Otherwise it's what other members posted above.
-full tank with stabil in it.
-steel wool in tailpipes (helps keep critters from entering)
-some baking soda inside the car
-pull battery and put on battery tender
-make sure car is washed and detailed
-car cover
-cardboard under car, this acts as a barrier between the concrete and your car

And I NEVER start the car in the winter, I've let it sit for nearly 5 1/2 months until spring time. Condensation is bad, no reason to try and get it to operating temp when it's -20 degrees outside.

Also when you plan on taking it out for the spring, the first time you start the car make sure you push both the clutch in and gas pedal to the floor at the same time! Then crank the car over like that for about 10 seconds. The ecu shuts off the fuel, but the motor cranks over, bringing oil through out the whole motor.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
should i lift the car off the ground ?

There is no need

also, don't start the car. Waste of time and gas. Many people do and think it's ok and it needs to but this is just false. As mentioned, all you are doing is creating additional condensation inside the motor and driveline. Just let the car sit......

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Good ideas on the cardboard and baking soda. What Car Covers are you guys using? I just got my CO Cobra and need one I got one from Jegs for my fox years ago forget the brand of it though. Do alot of you really squirt WD in the cylinders before winter storage? I change mine then just kill the ignition on the fox and let it crank for a little bit before spring start up newver did WD.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Stabil, a good cleaning, and battery tender. I haven't had any issues in almost 8 years of ownership!

quad

Established Member
Full tank of gas with stabil

Change Oil so when you start it in the spring you are not sucking up all the sediment that settled.

I like to squirt a little bit of wd 40 in the cylinders to prevent corrosion
Battery tender

Maybe plug the tail pipes if you are in a mouse prone area

car cover is always a good Idea

That's about all I do
Agree on adding stabil to a full tank of pump gas and driving the car for about 5 minutes so it mixes well.

The car cover can wrap over the tail pipes, and I would recommend adding those noise emitters in an outlet or two in the garage that scares mice away. Those things work because the sound they emit is similar to that of a dominant rat and mice are scared away by it. It even confuses some cats who think there's a rat nearby. This can be picked up at Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as the battery goes I just disconnect the negative cable on the battery and leave it like that for 5-6 months. Works great and the car fires up right away once it's hooked up again. But a battery charger is a must as backup.

quad

Established Member
There is no need

also, don't start the car. Waste of time and gas. Many people do and think it's ok and it needs to but this is just false. As mentioned, all you are doing is creating additional condensation inside the motor and driveline. Just let the car sit......

Agree - just let it sit for 4-6 months or however long. I've been doing that for close to 10 years without issues.

ctgreddy

Established Member
LOL @ winter storage.

I rip mine apart in the winter hahaha

lol us michigan guys must be all alike, winter is when I always tear into my car, so "storage" never really happens. I wish just one time I could go a whole off season without doing anything to my car and letting it sit peacefully under a cover. It never happens tho :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread