Storage Methods/Ideals

D-MoNeY23

Established Member
I am stationed in Germany and am going to be storing my cobra for the next year. What are some method or thing to do to make sure it is done correctly? I think I am going to use one of them metal storage facility. So I am worried about the heat on the interior. Any input or advice would be helpful.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I wash and wax and good car cover, putting up on stands probably debated to preserve tires but if you had a second set of wheels w/ junk tires on them just leave it on the ground.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd buy some race ramp flat stoppers. I have a pair, beats putting the car on jack stands all the time if your worried about flat spots.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I stored mine a year at a time while I contracted on Iraq. It sat in my garage with a half a tank of gas and unhooked the battery. Since I didn't drive it much when I came home I didn't worry too much about flat spots. When I came home I would start it up stay out of boost until that half a tank was about gone then fill it up with new gas. Oil change was done within a day or two of getting home. If you are going to put it in a storage bin back it in. That way if you should have to jump start it it will be easy to get to. I had to jump start mine a couple of times

Stanger00

Established Member
Ship to Germany and enjoy!

But really tho a car cover and only lift off of the ground if you want to keep mice out. I put dryer sheets all over the interior of my car but I got mice in my trunk and my engine compartment. However mine was under a few car covers and parked in my parents side yard for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I kept a couple of my cars in storage units prior to building a garage. Make sure to get a NORTH facing unit. Units facing south will get much more sun and will get hotter. If your choice is east/west, pick east since early day sun is better than late day sun for heat.

Cover or plug your exhaust pipes, but don't forget to remove before starting.

As for gas, 2 schools of thought: full tank prevents condensation. Empty tank prevents having to deal with old gas. 1/2 tank is not a good idea since you get both problems. Make sure to put a stabilizer in the gas and run it to circulate into the lines and engine. Stay out of boost with old gas until all is gone and replaced.

Clean and cover it. I double covered mine since it was a dusty environment.

Remove the battery. Keeps from corroding and less chance for someone to steal your car.

Put on blocks to get wheels off concrete. Flat spots/cupping can occur if you don't.

Change oil after you pull it out of storage.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
As for gas, 2 schools of thought: full tank prevents condensation. Empty tank prevents having to deal with old gas. 1/2 tank is not a good idea since you get both problems. Make sure to put a stabilizer in the gas and run it to circulate into the lines and engine. Stay out of boost with old gas until all is gone and replaced.
I think this depends on where you live. 13 years experience tells me that in texas at least a garage kept car with half a tank is fine. when I ran my car after I came back there was no indication at all that the gas had condensation in it and no power loss. I didn't use any additives in it either. Longer than a year and I probably would have.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think this depends on where you live. 13 years experience tells me that in texas at least a garage kept car with half a tank is fine. when I ran my car after I came back there was no indication at all that the gas had condensation in it and no power loss. I didn't use any additives in it either. Longer than a year and I probably would have.
I agree. Up north here in Minnesota I think the potential for condensation in the tank is greater. Location makes a difference. My garage isn't insulated or heated. Come spring time my engine bay will "sweat" all over. I take towels and try to dry it off. My wheels do the same thing.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Wash, wax, stabil, oil change, trickle charger, and a soft car cover. Over inflate your tires. You're car won't start if the gas pedal is depressed completely. So when you get back prime the oil pump before you start it (by depressing the gas peddle and crank the starter).

Users who are viewing this thread