Story of the day!

2K4 SVT

Established Member
Ok so here is a good one I thought I would share with my fellow cobra owners!

I'm driving back to the office after lunch minding my own business when BAM! A truck just in front of me loses his front driver's side wheel. The wheel comes hoping off and starts bouncing down the freeway at 70 mph. I quickly put the 14 inch rotors to the test and slow down extremely fast to avoid the truck and insuing debri field. The tire continues across all lanes of the freeway and hits the median divider sending it about 20 feet in the air and then onto the on coming traffic on the other side. Now here is the ironic part. There was already an accident on the south side and a dude was on a strectcher being wheeled to the ambulance. The tire was heading straight for him and the medical workers and cops. You should have seen their faces as they saw this 70 mph wheel bouncing there way. I'm sure the guy on the stretcher is thinking, "one way or another I'm going to die today" :shrug: Just before the tire hits the crowd, a jeep drives by and the tire nails it on the side taking the fender cover right off and then the tire continues down the off ramp. Here's the sad part concerning my cobra. Just as I think I've lucked out with missing the tire, all the debri from the truck's lug nuts, rotor hitting the pavement etc, sprays my car. A lug nut slings across my fender, hood and a-pillar leaving nice hugh chips. :cuss: I'm glad nothing worse happened and I know it could have been a LOT worse, but it still stinks to have your baby all dinged up!

-Mark

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Post some pics if you have them. Always make the story better. Sorry to hear about the chips, but it could have been much worse. I had a 33" BFG tire come off my Bronco once, pretty scary, and I was only going about 30 mph, but it still could have taken somone out.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I remember when I lived in Hawaii and I was about to make a left by the Aloha Stadium to my apartment complex when I saw this ricer in an Integra lose his wheel going the opposite direction. Sparks everywhere and it was fun watching the wheel bounce down the road. lol. They both got out and were laughing their asses off. heh.

bnglcat

Established Member
This happened near rochester ny a couple years ago. Tire came off and ended up landing on the front windsheild/roof of an oncoming car. Guy died instantly. I would take a few chips over that anyday.

I agree with doug...lotto time.

Power Trip

Established Member
lol thats a pretty funny story.. Sucks about the chips though, atleast no one got hurt.

I remember once time i was driving down the highway and saw a 3000GT on the side of the road with no front left wheel, siting on the caliper, and i think to myself hmmm thats odd. As i look back in front of me i see the wheel sitting in the middle of my lane lol, i swerved and missed it luckily.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Great story!

I stopped using a certain tire company because the wheels came off my trucks twice after they worked on them. Luckily no excitement like you had in either of our cases. Just the cost of a tow truck and new wheels and lugs one time and an insurance settlement the other.

I also was driving with my wife in her mini van and we had a garbage truck blow a tire right next to us. It's like a bomb going off. It really scuffed up the side of the mini van but did no other damage except to our nerves. In this case, the damage really did "buff" out.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I had a similar experience with a truck pulling a round bailer down the highway one day. The wheel on the driver side of the bailer just came off and was heading down the highway in my lane. Luckily for me it hit a bump and went off the road before it got to me. That damn tire was a big as my truck at the time. I was lucky, and I'm glad it didn't turn out worse for you.

Last edited:

2K4 SVT

Established Member
awesome stories

Wow, I'm amazed at how often this type of thing happens! Great stories. Ya, my bad about the rotors :bash: I guess I was living in the dream world of the GT500. I should be banned from posting here for a while for making that mistake. I didn't get any pictures, but the car goes to the shop on Monday. Good idea about the lotto ticket, I'll buy it and split it with you if I win for giving me the good idea! :-D

Labinnac

El Chimpo Grande!
Established Member
What really sucks is when a tractor trailer axle comes off for whatever reason. Looks like a giant dumbbell cartwheeling through the air.

Thrust

Established Member
I bet that guy on the strecher shitted a brick when he saw that tire comming toward him! :eek:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Guy on the stretcher must've needed counseling after that. The wifey and I had a trailer tire come bouncing at us from the opposite direction at 70+. Hit us dead center on the grill of our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Rolled up underneath us and bounced our ass end up in the air.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
sharkbite1979 said:
Guy on the stretcher must've needed counseling after that. The wifey and I had a trailer tire come bouncing at us from the opposite direction at 70+. Hit us dead center on the grill of our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Rolled up underneath us and bounced our ass end up in the air.

what a ride! Thank GOD i was the one driving! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread