Strange issue after mods...

quick-nick

Established Member
I just finished installing Revan Racing's 13-6 kit plus a 10% OD and an off road H pipe. Loaded the tune and the car runs and drives great! Only thing is now the cooling fan runs all the time when the engine is running. Put some miles on it plus multiple starts and it still does it. Anyone have any ideas? I thought about reloading the tune. Is it possible to change the turn on temp with the tuner?

Other than that everything is great!!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My Lund tune does not do that.
It does program the fans to come on at a lower temp.
Did you load it with the car warm? Have you let it fully cool down and then start it cold?
Have you ever played with an SCT tuner?
You can try adjusting the fan on temps if it has the capability, but the tune should not do that.
How do you like the power and sound?
-J

mullens

Established Member
I just finished installing Revan Racing's 13-6 kit plus a 10% OD and an off road H pipe. Loaded the tune and the car runs and drives great! Only thing is now the cooling fan runs all the time when the engine is running. Put some miles on it plus multiple starts and it still does it. Anyone have any ideas? I thought about reloading the tune. Is it possible to change the turn on temp with the tuner?

You can adjust that on the SCT. Are you running a 170 thermostat? Lund probably set it for that thermostat so if you still have the stocker that's why it's running all the time.

Van@RevanRacing

Nick

I'm in touch with Lund to try and determine why you have this issue. I know we spoke the other day. Might be something in the internet download. Has happend a few times and we'll get it resolved. thanks for the business and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the car with the new mods. We'll get this minor issue resolved.

Van

quick-nick

Established Member
My Lund tune does not do that.
It does program the fans to come on at a lower temp.
Did you load it with the car warm? Have you let it fully cool down and then start it cold?
Have you ever played with an SCT tuner?
You can try adjusting the fan on temps if it has the capability, but the tune should not do that.
How do you like the power and sound?
-J

I tuned it with the car cold and it has been cooled and run again. I have never had an SCT before.

The power and sound are great!! Fourth gear is insane!!!

quick-nick

Established Member
You can adjust that on the SCT. Are you running a 170 thermostat? Lund probably set it for that thermostat so if you still have the stocker that's why it's running all the time.

Nick

I'm in touch with Lund to try and determine why you have this issue. I know we spoke the other day. Might be something in the internet download. Has happend a few times and we'll get it resolved. thanks for the business and I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the car with the new mods. We'll get this minor issue resolved.

Van

I have the stock thermostat....

No problem Van, I just wanted to make sure I had not done something to cause that, it is not a huge deal....thanks you have been great!!

RedNightmare06

Established Member

The 13 SCT software/handheld has no options that can be opened on the handheld to adjust the fans.(like some older models do)

In the tune it can be changed though.
Not only temp but fan percent (speed)

Your fans might be adjusted to come on sooner in the tune than the stock 208 degree setting but more likely the fan speed was also increased to increase air flow by the fan.(that's more than likely why you noticed it) You hear them now.

Both are real good to do in the tune since it will allow more air to pass through the heat exchanger at low speeds ( lower iat2's and keep under-hood temps down some)

It will not effect your engine not coming up to temp , that it controlled by your thermostat.

If the fans don't bug you being on I would suggest leaving them on but that's your call.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

I have the stock thermostat....

No problem Van, I just wanted to make sure I had not done something to cause that, it is not a huge deal....thanks you have been great!!

Thanks Nick. I appreciate your business and support.

I submitted for a throttle calibration revision with Lund Racing since you have the older calibration and based on your purchase date I'm also verifying when JLT released the revised Bell Mouth design on the intake.

We'll start with the throttle calibration and go from there.

Happy Sunday!

Van

quick-nick

Established Member
Thanks Van, it is good to know I have someone like you helping me out. I love how the car drives...like stock except MUCH more power. I probably would have never noticed the fan running except that it is on all the time when the engine is running, even when the engine is cold.

RedNightmare06, you have a good point about the fan running not being such a bad thing because it will help with the heat exchanger ect. I'll have to consider that and talk it over with Van later....

masonh

Established Member
although the car pushing against the fan on the highway probably is not the greatest for cooling efficiency....

I don't understand this comment. You think the puller fan will interfere with the car cooling while driving. I can't see how it would hurt it. Of course probably no fan/shroud at all would be best while cruising on the highway, but it isn't really feasibly.

I think mine runs all the time too after the tune. I know it's on every time I pull in the driveway at least. I just never thought about and figured his tune had it run all the time.

I'm going to look into it, but it might be good to have it all the time running.

mullens

Established Member
It doesn't hurt anything to let the fans run all the time but as long as you have the stock thermostat (it's 192 or 208 I can't remember ) your ECT will never go below that. The fans are on the radiator, not the heat exchanger so I don't see lower IAT's either.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
It doesn't hurt anything to let the fans run all the time but as long as you have the stock thermostat (it's 192 or 208 I can't remember ) your ECT will never go below that. The fans are on the radiator, not the heat exchanger so I don't see lower IAT's either.

The fan is on the radiator but the 13/14 have the grill openings pretty well sealed from front to back.(the air will not go out the sides). The radiator fan does and will pull air through the Heat exchanger which does affect iat temps.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
With all this talk about tune revisions etc.

Should those of us with similar mods and no driveability issues be concerend about
revised tunes or SCT updates?
Should we be updating our current tunes if we still have the same mods. or only update if we change mods or add something new?
Just curious.

Last edited:

quick-nick

Established Member
Do you like the sound of the off road h-pipe? I have your exact mods but on the fence about the mid pipe..like to know your thoughts?
It sounds good...a little louder at idle and cruise and screams when you stand on it. If I had headers I would definitely put high flow cats on it or some kind of resonator.
quick nick your tune revision was emailed to you earlier this evening.

Van
Thanks Van!! I will load it up in the next day or so!!
Good to hear, let us know how it works out.
-J

Thanks man, will do!!!:beer:

Van@RevanRacing

With all this talk about tune revisions etc.

Should those of us with similar mods and no driveability issues be concerend about
revised tunes or SCT updates?
Should we be updating our current tunes if we still have the same mods. or only update if we change mods or add something new?
Just curious.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If we do additional mods we can revise anything as needed.

Van

Users who are viewing this thread