Strange Noise

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I have what sounds like a rattle but I only hear it when going 60-80mph depending on the wind direction and speed. If I slow down, it goes away if I speed up, it's get louder. I think it has to be related to the wind coming across the windshield but I've yet to find the cause. Has anyone else had this problem or know if there is anything under the cowl where the wiper hoses are?

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Not drive train, happens in neutral at that speed and even with the engine off...yes I did shut down the engine at speed (on a deserted road) to verify the noise is not the engine or tranny...a quick pop of the clutch and it's back running. The sound is driving me crazy.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm betting on the cowl cover. That thing on my old fox body used to drive me nuts. Sounded like a damn woodpecker going at it.

VinSVT

Established Member
My car had a simliar noise, but it had nothing to do with the cowl or anything. While getting it dyno'd someone noticed a piece of metal hanging near the radaitor. It was the paint code on a piece of metal put on by SVT that they forgot to take off.

I doubt its your problem but it would be worth looking at.

dezracer

Does it sound like a nest of chirping birds?? Try spraying wd-40 in and around the cowl cover in front of the windsheild.Make sure you get it thru the vent openings with the small red injecter that comes with the can.A dry lubricant spray might work too.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Well, I did some thinking about the noise and I think I found the source. When I cut the holes larger in my hood blanket, I tucked the vent covers back against the hood and held them open with the blanket. Well, last night, I cut the flaps off completely and wouldn't you know it, the noise is gone now. I'll have to give it a test when the roads are clear to see but so far up to 80 and no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread