Strange situation at my store.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
lol @ people that get a CCW with intentions of flashing it to intimidate others whenever it is convenient for their situation.

You will(can) get in deep shit unless you feel a life is in immediate danger. Not to mention what would happen if the guy took your response as his que to throw his gun into the mid. It would be unlikely the law would be on your side in that event.

Never pull out a gun unless you're prepared to use it.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Yes a CHL, Concealed Handgun License, is what I'm referring to. If the guy was really that pissed to the point where he would antagonize me to shoot him I would have no problem stepping out of the vehicle and popping him in the knee. Although during this incident I probably would have been on the phone with a 911 operator the whole time stating that I do have a gun and would not be afraid to use it if he came at me.

you do not "shoot in the knee" in a situation like that.. you shoot center of mass, and stop when the threat is no longer a threat..

Majck123

Established Member
Lol you guys are so sensitive. Fine I won't flash my gun I'll step out and nicely ask him to please stop tearing apart my vehicle

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Lol you guys are so sensitive. Fine I won't flash my gun I'll step out and nicely ask him to please stop tearing apart my vehicle

Perhaps you don't understand what sensitive means.

Sensitive would be "Please don't brandish your gun. It might scare the poor man."

We are saying "Please don't brandish your gun. It makes responsible gun owners and CCWers look bad, and you will be at the very least fined and at the most in prison for a long time, which is a bad thing, because after the first few weeks, you will no longer be able to shit when you want because your asshole will have been stretched more than you could imagine and poop will be falling out at random."

Seriously, if you're going to be a tool, don't be a tool with a gun.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

The only time you should draw your gun is if you intend to use Deadly Force. Otherwise it should stay in the holster. It's not acceptable to use deadly force in defense of property; step away and call LEO. It's not a tool to intimidate people. It's to be used in defense of your life and other's lives IE Aurora incident, armed robbery, ETC. You have entirely the wrong mindset to be carrying a weapon.

03rd SVT

Established Member
I think everyone stating that "flashing" your weapon is a violation of the law needs to take a step back and think for a second. Let's say this isn't happening to some stranger you don't know. Let's say it's you in this situation.

Same situation as the girl in the OP's post, but you have a CHL/CCW. This guy stops in front of you, gets out yelling, and starts beating on your car. You can't back up, you can't drive forwards, you have a curb to your right and the suspect to your left. Now WTF are you gonna do? You gonna just sit there and let this happen? You gonna get out of the car and try to fight this guy (violation of the law)? You gonna run him over (violation of the law)? You gonna call 911 and just wait no telling how long for law enforcement to show up? Oh, and by the way, do you know if this guy is going to take this to the next level and pull his own weapon out? Is he about to stab you in the throat and watch you bleed out? Is he going to be the next national news story about a crazed gunman killing you? Are you going to try and defuse this situation now or are you going to wait until it gets to that point. Are you going to be quick enough to defend off an attack on you if the suspect pulls out a weapon? What if this was your wife and not you? What would you expect her to do? The fact of the matter is you have no idea what this guys intentions are or what he is capable of. The LAW states if you feel that your life is being threatened you CAN use force to stop the suspect, including deadly force. Now, you have to take into consideration that you will be put on trial if you kill this man. You could also have a civil suit against you by his family. Your weapon will be taken and you will more than likely never get it back. You also have to live with the fact that you have taken another mans life. Sounds easy, but I know several that have killed for all the right reasons and it isn't easy on them.

Am I saying you should shoot this guy? No.
Am I saying you should run the guy over? No.
Am I saying you should jump out and beat the hell out of him? No.
Am I saying you should flash your weapon? No.

What I'm saying is you guys have no idea what exactly happened, but you have to think long and hard about what you do and what could happen to you depending on what actions you take. It's not as cut and dry and "yes, do it" or "no, don't do it". Each and every situation has a different answer. It's upto that individual to make the judgement call at that exact moment, not someone typing on a keyboard.

Now, All that being said, if your only purpose for obtaining a CHL/CCW is to flash it then you are an idiot. If your only purpose is to defend and protect yourself as well as your loved ones then you are on the right track, and I hope that you never have to use your weapon against another person.

For what it's worth, I am a Texas CHL holder.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I think everyone stating that "flashing" your weapon is a violation of the law needs to take a step back and think for a second. Let's say this isn't happening to some stranger you don't know. Let's say it's you in this situation.

Same situation as the girl in the OP's post, but you have a CHL/CCW. This guy stops in front of you, gets out yelling, and starts beating on your car. You can't back up, you can't drive forwards, you have a curb to your right and the suspect to your left. Now WTF are you gonna do? You gonna just sit there and let this happen? You gonna get out of the car and try to fight this guy (violation of the law)? You gonna run him over (violation of the law)? You gonna call 911 and just wait no telling how long for law enforcement to show up? Oh, and by the way, do you know if this guy is going to take this to the next level and pull his own weapon out? Is he about to stab you in the throat and watch you bleed out? Is he going to be the next national news story about a crazed gunman killing you? Are you going to try and defuse this situation now or are you going to wait until it gets to that point. Are you going to be quick enough to defend off an attack on you if the suspect pulls out a weapon? What if this was your wife and not you? What would you expect her to do? The fact of the matter is you have no idea what this guys intentions are or what he is capable of. The LAW states if you feel that your life is being threatened you CAN use force to stop the suspect, including deadly force. Now, you have to take into consideration that you will be put on trial if you kill this man. You could also have a civil suit against you by his family. Your weapon will be taken and you will more than likely never get it back. You also have to live with the fact that you have taken another mans life. Sounds easy, but I know several that have killed for all the right reasons and it isn't easy on them.

Am I saying you should shoot this guy? No.
Am I saying you should run the guy over? No.
Am I saying you should jump out and beat the hell out of him? No.
Am I saying you should flash your weapon? No.

What I'm saying is you guys have no idea what exactly happened, but you have to think long and hard about what you do and what could happen to you depending on what actions you take. It's not as cut and dry and "yes, do it" or "no, don't do it". Each and every situation has a different answer. It's upto that individual to make the judgement call at that exact moment, not someone typing on a keyboard.

Now, All that being said, if your only purpose for obtaining a CHL/CCW is to flash it then you are an idiot. If your only purpose is to defend and protect yourself as well as your loved ones then you are on the right track, and I hope that you never have to use your weapon against another person.

For what it's worth, I am a Texas CHL holder.

All that has already been covered.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Even if armed your immediate concern is escape and driving is preferable to shooting. Mount the curb or ram the attackers vehicle if you must. The greater the threat the more aggressive you should be in fleeing.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
It's like that everywhere.

This statement is untrue. Some states allow brandishing under limited circumstances and the trend is towards allowing it when reasonable. Florida has a particularly strict statute. I'm not sure what the law says in Texas. Obviously people need to know the law where they are.

I am always armed and I would not have brandished my weapon in this circumstance.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Yes a CHL, Concealed Handgun License, is what I'm referring to. If the guy was really that pissed to the point where he would antagonize me to shoot him I would have no problem stepping out of the vehicle and popping him in the knee. Although during this incident I probably would have been on the phone with a 911 operator the whole time stating that I do have a gun and would not be afraid to use it if he came at me.

Please dont get a handgun permit. You have a LOT of research to do.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
This statement is untrue. Some states allow brandishing under limited circumstances and the trend is towards allowing it when reasonable. Florida has a particularly strict statute. I'm not sure what the law says in Texas. Obviously people need to know the law where they are.

I am always armed and I would not have brandished my weapon in this circumstance.

I'd like to see a statute saying brandishing is legal.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
Look up the current Utah statute. They replaced their brandishing law with one that had broad exceptions to allow people to show their handguns to people when they reasonably felt threatened.

I don't have time to look now but several states allow a weapon to be produced in situations where lethal force is not lawful.

Users who are viewing this thread