Street Racing

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I'm sure if the government had built a drag strip near here the kids would have raced their Corolla there and not on the street.

This is typical of the other threads/responses I see from you. It gets old afterwhile.

JR-S3

Its a GT....I Swear
Established Member
i think this is where experience comes into play. I'm not going to say I don't street race, but i don't do it where i put others in danger. If someone is in my car, i won't. If i am alone. Then my decision will only inflict damage/injury upon my car or me. And I won't go unless i have an adequate amount of space to shut down and slow down and turns are out of the question. Not trying to justify what happened or anything of that matter. Just saying, it doesn't have to be as dangerous if a the brain thinks and not the testicles.

soonerjoe

Established Member
I think it is good to post this stuff, but would have more impact if they were racing. I have lost 8 friends in accidents. Most of them were prob driving bad. None of them were racing.

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
impulsive1 said:
This is typical of the other threads/responses I see from you. It gets old afterwhile.

I think there's definitely some bitterness going around.

Lawman85

Banned
WDW MKR said:
Do I think there is statistical and personal evidence that available tracks reduce street racing? Yes.

You think there is? Where is that data? If you show it too me then there is a valid point. Jshen works in an area that has a track and he has tons of street racing. Our closest track is an hour away, and we don't have as many street racing stats. All of the statistical and personal evidence I, or most LEO's have seen first hand leans toward the "No".

Lawman85

Banned
9A Pilot said:
Can anyone here tell me what has changed within,say,the last 10 years, that has brought so much heat on the such an act?
I have a few ideas..Bur I'd like to hear a few other thoughts.

That's a good question that got me thinking 9A Pilot. Here is what I believe:
#1. Population density.
#2. More streets/subdivisions
#3. Urban sprawl
#4. Easier access to more powerful cars by younger and younger drivers.
#5. Lack of parental supervision,discipline or concern(this is an entire thread in itself!!). Parents have the attitude today that "My kid doesn't do that" and they tell us. My Dad's response was always "I bet he did it, and I'll kick his ass if I found out he did".
#6. More intense video games (hell, I sound like my parents now.)
#7. And of course that damn Rock and Roll music!!!

I'm curious to hear your opinions 9A

04TURBOCOBRAX2

07 COBRA SHALL BE MINE
Established Member
luckily there is a good spot here where i live to race when the tracks are closed and the cops dont hassle us very much.sure it is dangerous to race anywhere but that is the risk you take when doing so,one of the problems is when individuals get high performance cars who dont have very good driving skills and the end result is usually tragic.It is unfortunate that alot of parents now buy their kids whatever car they want and not think it through..Example ( and for anyone not believing my story call jim oneal ford at 812-246-7900 ) two 17 year old boys took an 04 cobra for a test drive while their parents did the paper work, credit check etc. and decided to come off the exit ramp of the highway in excess of 80 mph: total damage to cobra with 66 miles on it was around 8g and then the parents backed out of buying the car because they said it was too dangerous a vehicle for a young person...maybe should have thought about that befor they went to the hospital!!!!!!!!

SOLISIMO

Signal 12
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Do I think there is statistical and personal evidence that available tracks reduce street racing? Yes. Your opinions may very and you have every right to them.

Its a loose loose situation. When I use to go to Morrosso, a local strip, we would leave at least an hour early to beat all idiots on the way out. Its bad! Im talking about guys flying past you a 130 140 mph racing each other after they just legally did it at the track.

The parents are in the blame for this crap. Not in my right mind would I give my kid a Honda Civic (where you know he is going to rig the shit out of it) yet a alone a muscle car. Many kids where I work drive M3's to Infinity's to all out race cars which is why I take pride in inpounding there car when I catch them hitting them right where it hurts. The way the law is toughing up now your looking at a total of at least a thousand dollars when your done with court and getting your car back if your luck enough too.

Ass a matter of fact here is another pic that I have to show some of you the results of drag racing, and I think you can tell if the person survived or not. Dont ask me how they didnt see the truck, maybee they were too busy looking at there speedometer or filming so they can post it on a local forum

WDW MKR

Established Member
Unfortunately, no government agencies have compiled and statistical data on street racing. There have been several departmental reports praising the results of local "street racing" events held at drag strips. Here are a few examples that I found with a quick search. I have several magazine articles that show guesstimated improvement statistics, but don't have a scanner.

Here is an example of police officers showing support and making an effort...
6/07/05 - Race a cop , no ticket
As reported in the June 1 issue "Racer's Hotline" section of Drag News, Infineon Raceway is one of the many dragstrips involved with a program where high school students can run against a police officer down the dragstrip. Entering its eighth year, The Top a Cop program offers high school students a chance to take two practice runs before lining up against a Bay Area police officer. All participants receive a t-shirt and a photo of their experience. The program takes place most Wednesdays until October 19.

Here is documention from the Center for Problem-Oriented Policing (http://www.popcenter.org/Problems/problem-street_racing_p3.htm)...

Creating or encouraging racers’ legal alternatives, such as relocating to a legal racing area. Several cities and counties have successfully addressed their illegal street racing problem by creating, either on their own or in collaboration with other organizations, a legal racing venue. This is intended to divert people to a safer racing environment, which allows racers to experience some of the positive aspects of legal drag racing—the fun, camaraderie, and excitement. Police can either align with an existing national program (for example, Beat the Heat, Racers Against Street Racing, the National Hot Rod Association) that encourages safe, legal, on-track racing, or implement their own local program.† Participant rules should be in place, such as racers must possess a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance, submit to vehicle safety inspections, and refrain from any use of alcohol at the event.44
† See the Redding ( Calif.) Police Department street racing web page at www.reddingpolice.org/StreetLegalDrags/

Legal, track-based alternatives to street racing are becoming more numerous. Among them is “Project X”, a program initiated in 1997 to bridge the gap between police officers and high school aged street racers.
CREDIT: Novato ( Calif.) Police Department

Following are examples of such efforts:

Beat the Heat is a national Cops and Kids community policing drag race program, which involves police officers in 30 states and two Canadian provinces. As an example, a police officer in Wewoka, Oklahoma (population 4,000) initiated the program. The officer races local men and women in his 1972 Chevrolet Camaro (with a 545-horsepower engine) at a local track. Teens can serve as honorary pit crew members for the Camaro.45 The program originated in 1984 with the Jacksonville, Florida, Sheriff’s Department and has grown rapidly; in 1999, more than 1 million young people were given the message that they should go to tracks to race their cars instead of racing in the street.46
Concerned about illegal street racing and the dearth of legal racing venues, automobile manufacturers, police officials, racetrack owners, racers, automobile parts manufacturers, and the media met in California in early 2001 and formed Racers Against Street Racing (RASR); this organization is becoming a countrywide phenomenon that is being tested in driver’s education classrooms and consists of a curriculum and video. RASR addresses the realities of street racing, and informs students about local street racing laws and legal alternatives in local areas.47
An officer in Redding, California obtained $4,000 from local businesses to help start a racing program, “Street Legal Drags,” at a local drag strip in mid-2002. Soon there were more than 200 cars (drivers paying $10 to race) and more than 2,500 spectators (assessed $5 per carload). Signs are posted informing racers how to register their vehicles, proceed to the starting line, and leave the track after the race. The Redding police website explains the program and provides detailed instructions for participants. Participants must have a registered, insured, safety-inspected vehicle and a valid driver’s license; and no alcohol is allowed on the premises.48
Las Vegas , Nevada has Midnight Mayhem, Friday night amateur drag races from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM at the local speedway’s drag strip. The cost is $10 for drivers and $5 for spectators, and each night’s activities include music, car shows, and other events for the 2,500 spectators and 400 drivers.49

More support and results from police cooperation (http://reddingpolice.org/StreetLegalDrags/)...
In 2002 illegal street racing calls for service were on the rise in Redding. Although there were no illegal racing related fatalities, the department recognized the potential was there. Members of the Neighborhood Police Unit were assigned the task of finding a solution to this growing problem. The department partnered with the Redding Drag Strip and the Northern California Drag Racing Association and came up with a racing venue designed to lure teens off the streets and onto the track. The events were named "Street Legal Drags" and were initially held once a month. After the first season, the races were held every other Saturday from March through October. By the end of the second season, it was not uncommon to have up to 2,500 spectators at the races and over 250 participants racing. The 2005 racing season should prove to be no exception. Come out and watch or race your car in a safe, alcohol free environment!
The department sponsored "Police Interceptor" race car was built in 2003 to accommodate the Street Legal Drags participants who wanted to race against a police car. The Interceptor has a functioning light bar and siren and can cover the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds at over 124 mph!

The Interceptor is privately owned and maintained by local sponsors. The car can also be seen at many local car shows and other community events. The Interceptor’s pit crew consists of local at-risk teens who learn the importance of resisting drugs and alcohol while at the same time working in a team setting. While at the races, stop by and visit Officer Ed Ochoa and the RPD sponsored "Interceptor."

WDW MKR

Established Member
On the flip side of things, would any of the officers care to express their thoughts on every traffic offense involving a fast car now being termed as some form of racing? I spent $800 on attorney fees to get out of a bogus street racing charge that a bad example of local law enforcement threw at a friend and I. The reason... two black Mustangs, one a Cobra and one a V6, driving down the same 4-lane road at 2am. My buddy had a previous DUI. Once the officer moved behind him and ran the plates, we both got pulled. The officer didn't even hit his lights until he followed us for a mile and we pulled into our destination (apartment complex). I'll spare you the entire story, but let's just say it involved no less than six cruisers and 2hrs of badgering and baiting from the officers. Case was thrown out in court, but not after an expensive battle.

It seems the Fast'n'Furious movies have made everyone look bad. Spinning your tires in a parking lot used to get you a warning. Now, you're lucky to get away with your license in hand. I am in no way trying to lighten the situation that surrounds actual street racing. It's dangerous, inconsiderate, and stupid. I just question the recent attitude that seems to pin the expensive "street racing" label on every traffic violation involving fast cars.

I would like to also state that outside of the occurence described above, I have had nothing but good dealing with various police officers and departments. It just seems those good relationships are disappearing in a lot of areas.

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
That's a good question that got me thinking 9A Pilot. Here is what I believe:
#1. Population density.
#2. More streets/subdivisions
#3. Urban sprawl
#4. Easier access to more powerful cars by younger and younger drivers.
#5. Lack of parental supervision,discipline or concern(this is an entire thread in itself!!). Parents have the attitude today that "My kid doesn't do that" and they tell us. My Dad's response was always "I bet he did it, and I'll kick his ass if I found out he did".
#6. More intense video games (hell, I sound like my parents now.)
#7. And of course that damn Rock and Roll music!!!

I'm curious to hear your opinions 9A

Oh jesus here we go.

You're right lawman, playing Grand Theft Auto totally takes over my mind and makes me want to go crash my car into everything and race everyone, and then when the police helicopter starts following me, i'll pull out the rocket launcher that seemingly fits into my pocket and i'll shoot it down. And then when the FBI comes after me I'll use my ak47 and destroy all their vehicles. While being chased after I run out of ammo and whipe out 2 whole police divisions, I will pull into a spray shop, they will give me a new engine and paintjob for my car in a matter of five seconds and all of a sudden the police won't be able to find me. All the while listening to rock n roll music. Then i'll do it again tommorow!

I think #4 is your only valid point. I still think it's mostly due to the fast n furious crowd, now it's cool to have a Carolla with a 100 shot of nitrious,full intake and "exhaust", and race people. Street Racing has always happened, but since younger kids have begun to think it's cool(fast n furious), now even the non powreful cars are being raced. That's the biggest reason the number is high, in my opinion.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
On the flip side of things, would any of the officers care to express their thoughts on every traffic offense involving a fast car now being termed as some form of racing? I spent $800 on attorney fees to get out of a bogus street racing charge that a bad example of local law enforcement threw at a friend and I. The reason... two black Mustangs, one a Cobra and one a V6, driving down the same 4-lane road at 2am. My buddy had a previous DUI. Once the officer moved behind him and ran the plates, we both got pulled. The officer didn't even hit his lights until he followed us for a mile and we pulled into our destination (apartment complex). I'll spare you the entire story, but let's just say it involved no less than six cruisers and 2hrs of badgering and baiting from the officers. Case was thrown out in court, but not after an expensive battle.

It seems the Fast'n'Furious movies have made everyone look bad. Spinning your tires in a parking lot used to get you a warning. Now, you're lucky to get away with your license in hand. I am in no way trying to lighten the situation that surrounds actual street racing. It's dangerous, inconsiderate, and stupid. I just question the recent attitude that seems to pin the expensive "street racing" label on every traffic violation involving fast cars.

I would like to also state that outside of the occurence described above, I have had nothing but good dealing with various police officers and departments. It just seems those good relationships are disappearing in a lot of areas.

I don't know, I will say I got pulled over last night for playing around with a Terminator. The police officer never got me on radar so he let me go, and he never once mentioned the word racing. He just asked me to keep my speed down and to "take it to the track". The only nice police officer i have EVER encountered. I was totally expecting a ticket and still think I should have gotten one, but he just gave me a warning. THe funny thing is it was a Highway Patrol officer, I always heard those are the biggest jerks out of all the police? This guy was the nicest and most professional. My other three encounters (in 5 years, not THAT bad..) all the police have talked to me like dirt and treated me like the gum on the bottom of their shoe, giving me bigtime attitude. This guy was totally different.

Point is, I prolly could have gotten some kind of street racing violation even though he never got my exact speed, unless I'm mistaken (LEOs?). So I'm hesitant to say all police officers throw that street racing charge in when they can, this guy apparently didn't.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
As usual, the definition of a "nice police officer" and the "nicest and most professional" officer is the one who provides a warning in a situation where not only was the citation warranted but by your own words, expected.

BTW - I believe WDW MKR's question was posed to the LEO's, not to someone who reponded by admitting to being involved in a street race where he met the "nice police officer".......................

Sorry, however I just don't see any positive contributions on your part lately, just a lot of veiled resentment at people trying to do their jobs the best they can.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
WDW MKR said:

I think you might have reasoned out your own answer. it's difficult to judge the acions of other officers from other departments based only on what we read here. However you are correct in thinking that increased reporting, the sensationalizing and romanticizing of the behavior and public and private pressure has led departments to increase enforcement activity.

The problem with increased enforcement is the fact anytime you go fishing, you will catch things that should be tossed back, but not everyone does, including cops. No one said we are perfect so you will have a negative experience once in a while.

I think every officer here has made it clear we do not condone heavy-handed enforcement and we urgue you to work within the system to report bad experiences through appropriate channels.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Great response. It is unfortunate that my local department (at that time) was out of control. My attorney had stacks of complaint-oriented work on his desk, all due to the Sherriff's Dept. I do think it is scary how much of an effect the F&F movies had on our culture. Rice rockets came out of the woodwork, including all of the rusted out 1987 Honda Accords equipped with a 12" muffler tip, and the level-headed hot rodders have suffered. It puts law enforcement in a bad spot, and true enthusiasts now feel like criminals for simply driving their cars. And people think the media has no influence!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I have never been notified of being the cause of a thread lock. The legality of street racing has nothing to do with some smart ass remark about government-funded tracks. It was an attempt to prove a point, with the unfortunate death of this kid as a basis. I don't agree with that. If you do, then more power to you.

Indeed it does.

What I do for a living is not the concern of this post. Have I seen horrific crashes because of racing and/or drinking? Yes. I have I had to deal with sobbing parents, sibblings, and friends? Yes. Do I think more tracks will stop all street racing? No. Do I think there is statistical and personal evidence that available tracks reduce street racing? Yes. Your opinions may very and you have every right to them.

What is your personal evidence that available tracks reduce street racing? And then to that fact, where are these "statistics"?

Lawman85

Banned
BucsFanUCF said:
I think #4 is your only valid point. I still think it's mostly due to the fast n furious crowd, now it's cool to have a Carolla with a 100 shot of nitrious,full intake and "exhaust", and race people. Street Racing has always happened, but since younger kids have begun to think it's cool(fast n furious), now even the non powreful cars are being raced. That's the biggest reason the number is high, in my opinion.

Only #4? Wow...how old are you? The rock and roll and video game examples were just sarcasm. The others are all legitimate reasons. Do a little research and you'll see that.

WDW MKR

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Indeed it does.

What is your personal evidence that available tracks reduce street racing? And then to that fact, where are these "statistics"?

See above post

Users who are viewing this thread