Street Racing

Lawman85

Banned
No, the Corvette driver was not cited. In this case if he had been racing he would be charged with vehicular manslaughter, not a ticket.

Anyone who believes anytype of street racing nowadays is safe is a moron. I'm sorry, that's my opinion, and it won't be changed. People who think "Well, I'm a safe racer and know when to shut down..." yeah, 120mph on a surface street? Moron... There are too many things to go wrong and too many lives that can be effected.

Here is an example of what can go wrong: As we were going in service from the wreck I posted above, one of our officers got into an accident about 3 miles away. He was responding to a call, traveling about 45-55mph in a 45mph zone, based on the tire mark evidence. As he entered a long straight away he came upon a 15 year old kid standing in the left lane. This was 3:19a.m.!! He swerved right only find a 14 year old standing in the emergency lane in front of him. He swerved left again causing the rearend to break loose and spin him out, hitting a fire hydrant. He has 3 herniated disks in his neck now. The moral is... you may think the road is empty, but it may not be. That stretch of road he was on is known for some big races , 4 lanes, center median, flat, straight, no side streets. If there had been two cars that decided to "punch it", there would be 2 dead juveniles.....

Street racing, in any shape or form, is stupid. People on this board have their own opinions and try to defend it to the end with ridiculous reasoning. Most LEO's on here agree that it is stupid and there is very little that can be said to change our minds. This argument will go on forever, but until enough racers get into public office, it will still be illegal, it will still carry stiff penalties, and I will still enforce the hell out of it.

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
No, the Corvette driver was not cited. In this case if he had been racing he would be charged with vehicular manslaughter, not a ticket.

Anyone who believes anytype of street racing nowadays is safe is a moron. I'm sorry, that's my opinion, and it won't be changed. People who think "Well, I'm a safe racer and know when to shut down..." yeah, 120mph on a surface street? Moron... There are too many things to go wrong and too many lives that can be effected.

Here is an example of what can go wrong: As we were going in service from the wreck I posted above, one of our officers got into an accident about 3 miles away. He was responding to a call, traveling about 45-55mph in a 45mph zone, based on the tire mark evidence. As he entered a long straight away he came upon a 15 year old kid standing in the left lane. This was 3:19a.m.!! He swerved right only find a 14 year old standing in the emergency lane in front of him. He swerved left again causing the rearend to break loose and spin him out, hitting a fire hydrant. He has 3 herniated disks in his neck now. The moral is... you may think the road is empty, but it may not be. That stretch of road he was on is known for some big races , 4 lanes, center median, flat, straight, no side streets. If there had been two cars that decided to "punch it", there would be 2 dead juveniles.....

Street racing, in any shape or form, is stupid. People on this board have their own opinions and try to defend it to the end with ridiculous reasoning. Most LEO's on here agree that it is stupid and there is very little that can be said to change our minds. This argument will go on forever, but until enough racers get into public office, it will still be illegal, it will still carry stiff penalties, and I will still enforce the hell out of it.

If you're reffering to me with thinking street racing is safe, I never once said that. I said it's safer when you only go until one car is pulling and there's no hope than it is to keep going until someone gives up no matter how bad car A is beating car B. I think even you'll agree to that.

Lawman85

Banned
SVTCobra96 said:
If you're reffering to me with thinking street racing is safe, I never once said that. I said it's safer when you only go until one car is pulling and there's no hope than it is to keep going until someone gives up no matter how bad car A is beating car B. I think even you'll agree to that.

I'll also agree that it is much safer to walk across the highway with your eyes open than with them closed. What's the point? Dangerous is dangerous.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Mountain climbing is pretty dangerous,too..
But no one gets arrested for it..
We take chances every day..some more than others.....
In the military,especially on the aviation side,were taught to use ORM..Operational Risk Management..You identify the risk,asses the hazards,determine the severity if something goes wrong,impliment controls to make the outcome go the way you want,& monitor(or manage) the evolution to make sure all is going to plan..
This can be be applied to nearly everything we do..Including unleashing all that horsepower you paid for...

Last edited:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
:??:Bikers?
Who said anything about bikers?Ohh You said bikers!I thought you ..umm nevermind..
The point of my post obviously didn't register with you since you came back with some semantical statement..Hell you even missed the context..

Lawman85

Banned
9A Pilot said:
Mountain climbing is pretty dangerous,too..
But no one gets arrested for it..
We take chances every day..some more than others.....
In the military,especially on the aviation side,were taught to use ORM..Operational Risk Management..You identify the risk,asses the hazards,determine the severity if something goes wrong,impliment controls to make the outcome go the way you want,& monitor(or manage) the evolution to make sure all is going to plan..
This can be be applied to nearly everything we do..Including unleashing all that horsepower you paid for...

Yes, but mountain climbing isn't illegal in every state in the U.S.

How about this one: I agree that it is much safer to use cocaine in small doses instead of large ones.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I'll also agree that it is much safer to walk across the highway with your eyes open than with them closed. What's the point? Dangerous is dangerous.

The point obviously went right over your head. People used to race until one car is clearly the winner all the way till modern times, without much of a problem. The problem has become when kids/ricers KEEP GOING until one of them wusses out, taking them to speeds over 130 mph, even when the race has already been won to to speak. they keep going until they "win" because the other person shuts down, no matter how long it takes.

I have never taken a race over 110 mph, it's always been over way before that. However if I was a ricer in a suped up integra I might take that same race to 135 because well he might stop and then I'll win.

There is obviously a huge difference, something happened to make the racing scene regarded as so much more dangerous.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Let me get this straight..Your point is no one should race on the highway under any circumstances?

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
The point of my post obviously didn't register with you since you came back with some semantical statement..Hell you even missed the context..

I completely understood what you were trying to say, however it was a terrible example. That clearly doesn't register with you.

Let me get this straight..Your point is no one should race on the highway under any circumstances?
:idea:

Who said anything about bikers?Ohh You said bikers!I thought you ..umm nevermind..

I was watching a mountain biking movie at the time, sry for the mix up. :D
Yet, the same is true for mountain climbing. (just so happens that I do both)

Last edited:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Well.it is a public highway..& it is racing..
I completely understood what you were trying to say, however it was a terrible example. That clearly doesn't register with you.
Why is it,in your opinion,such a terrible example?Because you do it & you're into it?
& because you do it,do you NOT consider it dangerous?If you dont consider it dangerous,is it because you've never seen any one get hurt or killed engaging in such activity personally?
I really don't want to argue with you,since acording to your profile,you drive an MX6 & couldn't possibly relate to anything that is being discussed here..I prefer having this conversation with an LEO..It's much better doing it here with them,instead of pulled over on the side of the road..My end of the conversation usually is limited to a series of "yes,sir" & "no sir"..

Last edited:

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
Please when you see them enough and know that you people are hard headed enough to keep on doing it (just look at the posts in the vids section) then maybee posting these pics will help or maybee they wont. Some people wont change untill they they are the ones wrapped around the same pole in the burning car wondering if they are going to survive. Just ask rockstar from here he's seen me respond just a couple of weeks ago where two females where driving fast (racing) around a corner and drove head onto a tree, after being stuck underneath the dash for about 45 minutes untill the jaws of life excaveted them, we had to stay there listening to them scream in horror when all they needed to do was use common sense, luckily she learned her lesson. No sympathy from me here

It must really burn your ass to watch all those illegal street racing videos and not be able to hand them a citation for it. :-D

Last edited:

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
Why is it,in your opinion,such a terrible example?Because you do it & you're into it?

Street racing involves an illegal activity that endangers others. The probability for unexpected things happening is very high on a public road. Climbing doesn't endanger anyone but the two climbers. There is no chance for a deer to pop out and cause you to crash into a building. There is no chance for a tire to blow, causing you to hit whatever happens to be in your way. The two couldn't be any more different and that is why it is a terrible example.

I really don't want to argue with you,since acording to your profile,you drive an MX6 & couldn't possibly relate to anything that is being discussed here..

I can't comment on street racing because I don't drive a cobra?? I find that laughable.

Well.it is a public highway..& it is racing..

They close the entire highway for that event, as well as have emergency crews on standby. Comparing an organized, legal event to street racing is simply rediculous.

Last edited:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Mr.Shortround said:
Street racing involves an illegal activity that endangers others. The probability for unexpected things happening is very high on a public road. Climbing doesn't endanger anyone but the two climbers. There is no chance for a deer to pop out and cause you to crash into a building. There is no chance for a tire to blow, causing you to hit whatever happens to be in your way. The two couldn't be any more different and that is why it is a terrible example.
They are different in the specifics...but I suspect more people have died doing your thing than street racing..
It's all in where it's done..A six lane 2 mile long arrow- straight bridge at 3Am doesn't have a problem with deer...Tire blow outs can happen to anyone,including people who drive MX6's...I personally take very good care of my tires(proper inflation,wear,alignment,etc)I don't grab ass thru down-town either.No buildings to worry about..
At least I'm not dangling by a piece of rope.
You take your chances,I'll take mine.

Mr.Shortround said:
I can't comment on street racing because I don't drive a cobra?? I find that laughable.
You can comment all you want..I don't drive a Cobra,either.
I can't call you a hypocrit,because your probably not a big visitor to "Road Kill drive thru."

Mr.Shortround said:
They close the entire highway for that event, as well as have emergency crews on standby. Comparing an organized, legal event to street racing is simply rediculous.
That they do..But I listed it to prove a point..I led the question by clarifiying that Lawman could not ever see a reason to condone highway racing under any circumstances..Very black & white..I simply pointed out the gray..
Also...It proves that cars can safely sustain speeds upwards of 200 on the highway fo 90 miles..
A street race might take 1 mile..& more than likly,alot less.
I don't expect to change anyones mind..Especially the LEO's here..They have a job to do..If there were knuckle heads racing in or around my neighborhood..or anyone elses..I'd expect the police to lay the smack down..

Lawman85

Banned
9A Pilot said:
your opinions?

Come on 9A, now your disappointing me. You know that is apples and oranges. One is illegal, disorganized and dangerous. The other one is well organized, have permits and medical crews, but is still dangerous as with all racing. I have no problems with the open highway speed runs that are organized by those clubs on a controlled access highway. I'm sure they probably even have LE there to help shut the road down. No chance of my wife and daugther getting nailed pulling out onto that highway.

Lawman85

Banned
9A Pilot said:
It proves that cars can safely sustain speeds upwards of 200 on the highway fo 90 miles..
A street race might take 1 mile..& more than likly,alot less.
I don't expect to change anyones mind..Especially the LEO's here..They have a job to do..If there were knuckle heads racing in or around my neighborhood..or anyone elses..I'd expect the police to lay the smack down..

But have you figured out the braking distance of a car at anything over 100mph? Try some of the math and see if that isn't an eye opener!! I was amazed in some of the schools when we estimated braking/stopping distances and how they went up exponentially just with an extra 10 or 15 miles an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread