Streetbike Noob

only a gt

Established Member
Hey guys, I just picked up my first streetbike last week. I only got to take it out a handful of times since it's almost snow season here, so it's gonna be a long winter but what can you do. I was wondering if there is an SVTP equivelant in the bike world. (I know I know, the awesomeness of SVTP cannot be rivaled by anything) Also, looking to load up on riding gear for Christmas, any recommendations on where to shop and what brands? I've ridden MX for about 10 years, so I'm not completely in the dark here, but any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
The best way I have found finding new forums is through google. Just a quick search of sport bike forum in google produced quite a few.

kneedraggers.com is good (personally used them), but there is also motorcycle-superstore.com, etc. Same thing with google. I put in sport bike gear, and a few came up.

Good luck and have fun.

only a gt

Established Member
Yea I did the google thing, was just looking to see if anyone could provide some insight as to which forums/websites might be better than others before I go digging through.

bodge323

Established Member
Definitely do not tell them it is your first street bike, you had a 600 before, and a 400 before that.......

99GTvert

Established Member
R1-forum is good. I would definitely say its the svtp equivelant. It is fairly unbiased (guys can appreciate other brands if it's deserved) and the users are very knowledgable from maintenance to track techniques. It would be my reccomendation even if you didn't have a Yamaha. Otherwise you'd end up on some gixxer forum and they'd have you convinced a backwards hat and flip flops are the only safety gear you need! R6-forum.com is good too for general motorcycle non-r1 specific content. Either way just be careful, that is a lot of bike. I came from an MX background as well and it definitely helps, just make sure you ride super defensively and don't do anything too crazy on the street, gravel winds up in the craziest places sometimes!

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Whatever you do stay away from 600rr.net & 1Krr.net (Honda Forums).....most of those guys over there are "tools" and useless! lol Or at least back in the day that's how it was....

only a gt

Established Member
r1forum is pretty good for info. Just don't tell them you bought a R1 for your first street bike.

Lol, R1 for a first bike.

Definitely do not tell them it is your first street bike, you had a 600 before, and a 400 before that.......

^Was wondering how long that would take.

Only reason I got it instead of a 600 is because I got it off a friend of mine for a great deal, and I know exactly how he has maintained and ridden it, seeing as he grew up right down the road from me and then was stationed in the barracks across from me. I know having a background in MX is very helpful, but I also understand that the road is much more unforgiving and the margin for error is much smaller. I also have a very healthy respect for this bike, and I am fully aware that its capabilities are far beyond my own and will be for some time.

That being said, thanks for the input, I will definitely check out r1forum.

Any recommendations for helmets, jackets, ect? I've been shopping around and know a little about some brands. Are the high-end companies like Shoeii (sp?) really worth the extra coin? Any specific models that anyone really likes?

Coiled03

Established Member
Plenty of good brands out there for gear. My favorties are:

Helmets: Shoei and Arai
Jackets/pants: Joe Rocket
Gloves/boots: Alpinestars

Just my $.02.

Not gonna bother lecturing you on getting an R1 for a first bike. Anything from a 250 on up is quick enough to kill you. If you can't control your right wrist, nothing else matters. So, try to keep the rubber side down while you're learning.

BM1

Established Member
I get all my riding gear from Riders Discount. I get their forum discounts through KawiForums.com or Gixxer.com which are cheaper than the prices on their website. They can get just about anything too.

Wear all your gear, good luck, and take the MSF rider course.

Last edited:

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Respect the bike and you'll be fine. I started out on a 929, then went to a 636, then a r6, now a R1 and I don't regret any of them. Have fun.

va boy

Established Member
Yes, IMO Shoei is worth the extra coin, as well as Arai. I've had many helmets over the years and finally spent the big bucks on a Shoei a few years ago. Best helmet I've ever had. Get a really good qaulity leather riding jacket and boots as well.
Have fun, and WATCH the other guy out there!

Users who are viewing this thread