Stripe issue.

ukfiveo

Established Member
I have a white 08 with vista stripes. Unfortunately the lh rear licence plate stripe has been damaged by my garage door!
The Ford part no is back ordered with no eta, does anyone know if 3m do a matching color vinyl? Just to make things more awkward I am in the UK & cannot use local Ford dealers.
Thanks in advance.

ukfiveo

Established Member
Thanks for the link, mine is an 08 though & OE style would concern me that is was close but not exact.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Vinyl or sign shop should be able to match

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

fullboogie

Established Member
LOL! I had damage to the exact same stripe section because of the garage door (daughter hit the button). I got mine through Tousley. Since there's likely some fade, you might as well get both sides.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Good time to Peel the vinyl off and have them painted on. That's what I did, the paint will look better and last longer than the vinyl.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I've replaced the same piece. You will not find an aftermarket match. The OEM stripes are painted vinyl and aftermarket is simply vinyl. If you can't get the expensive Ford piece, rip them all off and either go with aftermarket vinyl or paint.

ukfiveo

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies, the damage is slight but as you all know, real annoying. I am going to try & place an order for the oem part & wait for it for now.

Thanks again

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
What did that run you? I'm asking for a friend whom wants to do the same.

I paid $700 to remove the old stripes, emblems, have new stripes painted, cervinis lower grill installed and new emblems put on. I got quotes as high as $4200 though and $1200 seemed to be about the average.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I had the shop paint the stripes on my Black Mamba hood, silver stripes on black, and nobody can tell the difference that has looked at it with the exception of feel because the stripes on the hood were clear coated. I was going to do the front bumper cover since they butt up against the hood but it was so close I will wait to paint them when they go bad.

fullboogie

Established Member
A quick word of advice on installing those bumper stripes, OP. Apply them using lots of Windex, which allows you to move them around for quite some time before they "set". Once you have them exactly where you want them, slowly squeegee them from the center out. Then you'll notice several areas wanting to peel up from the curvature of the bumper cover. Use a hair dryer or heat gun (on low) and work those areas with your thumb until the stripe sticks.

In short - you'll never get the stripes to stick without heat.

GT50008

Established Member
I have a white 08 with vista stripes. Unfortunately the lh rear licence plate stripe has been damaged by my garage door!
The Ford part no is back ordered with no eta, does anyone know if 3m do a matching color vinyl? Just to make things more awkward I am in the UK & cannot use local Ford dealers.
Thanks in advance.

A few months ago I did the same thing. The rear bumper cover also got scratched. Had to repair the scratch in the plastic, paint and clear. At this very moment I am getting a third set of stripes installed, bc of improper prior installations. These license plate stipes appear to be a difficult install, very easy to tear. So I suggest you purchase a second pair for back-up. I ordered them from Ford for about $US105.00 each. Since you are overseas I suggest you check out FarmDog at teamshelby.

MrFarmdog's Fender Stripe Install thread!!! - Shelby GT500 Modifications and Tech. - Team Shelby

He has his own vinyl business and can sell non-oem vinyl at 1/3 the cost. John uses Oracal 951 series vinyl.

<[email protected]>

Good Luck.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd pull them off and put on SS stripes.

Of course, I've always wanted to do that myself..

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
:beer:
A quick word of advice on installing those bumper stripes, OP. Apply them using lots of Windex, which allows you to move them around for quite some time before they "set". Once you have them exactly where you want them, slowly squeegee them from the center out. Then you'll notice several areas wanting to peel up from the curvature of the bumper cover. Use a hair dryer or heat gun (on low) and work those areas with your thumb until the stripe sticks.

In short - you'll never get the stripes to stick without heat.

I used a water spray bottle with a little added dish soap. Also, when done squeegeeing, if there are any bubbles, poke them with a pin and work the water out through the pin hole. Heat helps!

Users who are viewing this thread