Stripe Removal

grandfunk

Established Member
Hey guys I know this will probably offend some of you out there but I was thinking of removing my stripes. I was on the fence about them to begin with and they aren't in the best of shape anyway.
One is starting to peel under the front lip of the hood and has a noticeable chunk out of it on the top side of the hood. I figured I could remove them and if I miss them get some replacements actually painted on and cleared over.
Is it as simple as a heat gun and patience? I've debadged/destickered plenty of cars and motorcycles so I am kind of familiar with what it would take to get done. Should I worry about the paint underneath being a different color? Its on an impact blue 14 without a lot of sun exposure but it probably sat outside at the dealer for a few months while on display.
I know I'll lose the rear shelby badge too but that doesn't worry me I can always replace it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MCDEV

Established Member
Personally I would be worried about fade issues without knowing exactly how much sun exposure the car had. Especially on a finish like DIB, I'm pretty sure thats a tri coat color. More than likely you will be fine but there is really only one way to find out. The stripes should come right off with a heat gun and like you said, you can always re-stripe it if you need to. By the way I think the car looks great with a stripe delete. Post up some photos if you end up doing it.

ThomasL

Established Member
Yep. Easy to remove. Just heat it up but not too much. Heck, having it sit out on a hot sunny day should do the trick. I think these cars look clean with or without stripes so go for it if you're already considering it.

grandfunk

Established Member
Ya the exposure thing is the only issue I have with it. I could tell it has sat out for awhile because there was some dirt buildup in the nooks and crannies of the car. I would say it was outside for close to two months.
But I will say this was February/March in the Pacific Northwest so how much sun could it have really been under.
If I pull the stripes I'll put up some pictures once I get a chance to strip it and get some polish on it.

ThomasL

Established Member
I wouldnt think that amount of time in a mild environment would be all that bad. It'll be fine. Nothing a good wash and wax canmt help! And post pics! Excited to see that color strile delete!

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Just peel them right off. Also just because there's some dust hidden around don't assume the car sat out or was neglected. These cars are like sand factorys for some reason. My car has like 700 miles and spends its entire life inside, and I've found more dust buildup on this thing than any other car, I don't know why but it gets everywhere.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I just let mine sit out on a warm sunny day and peeled the stripes right off.

They came off very easy.

ae02

Established Member
I removed black stripes off of white paint... 1-Use heat gun and pull stripe gently as it gets soft, 2-Use 3M adhesive remover (made for automotive finish) to remove any residue, 3-Wash with soap and water, 4-Use a cleaner wax as directed for any fading

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am not interested in removing my stripes. If I did, I would remove the top and leave the side. A different twist that I think would look good.

tom

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I am not interested in removing my stripes. If I did, I would remove the top and leave the side. A different twist that I think would look good.

tom

That's a progression that anyone that has removed their stripes has struggled with. In the end, the side stripes eventually go as well.

grandfunk

Established Member
What color are the stripes?

White. I could have gone either way on them initially and the more I look at them the more I realize how poorly done they are. They are coming off as soon as my new batch of car cleaning goodies gets here on Wednesday.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member

tom

That is a terrible look. Standard on V6 models.

bac20.jpg

grandfunk

Established Member
Alright I finally got around to removing the stripes and here are the results in some sort of start to finish order. After a bit of washing and polishing you would never know the stripes existed.
I like the look, in my mind it is much closer to the spirit of what I want from the car without stripes. I've always had a soft spot for cobras and that is what this car is to me, an SVT Cobra first, and a GT500 second.
I much prefer that there are subtleties to pick up on to figure out what you're looking at (I know calling this car subtle is a bit of a stretch) but I didn't like being hit over the head with stripes. To each their own.
Next step is sort the suspension and get some real tires underneath this thing to help with traction and the lift kit stance, I can't stand the look of a mustang at stock ride height.

20140404_135411_zpsb398776e.jpg

20140406_160113_RichtoneHDR_zps2d5f3ba9.jpg

20140406_155937_RichtoneHDR_zps726fc377.jpg

20140410_141415_RichtoneHDR_zps5faf5beb.jpg

20140410_141648_RichtoneHDR_zps5f6daf0b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread