Stripes for a black 2012 Shelby GT500

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm not a big fan of stripe delete on this body style, looks too plain when compared to a GT500 with stripes. Can't go wrong with Grabber blue. A darker silver would look great too. It might be too busy looking on a black car but I love the outline stripes on the outside of the solid stripes you find on a skinny stripped GT500. I would love to take that look and apply towards the thick stripes so that the thick strips would have outlined stripes on it. I've done that on a few cars in that Forza racing game and it looks sharp. Some may consider it too busy but I think it looks fantastic.

This is what I'm referring to. The black borders the red stripe which I think makes it look really sharp. I like this look the best and would apply this theme to the thicker stripped GT500's.
Shelby1stripe-black.jpg

On black...Looks like a silver or white border stripe. Here I would put the silver or white in between the red stripes as well (with of course the thicker stripped theme).
BlackskinnystrippedGT500.jpg

Another one here...black on the outside of the white with the middle left unchanged (I however would put black in between the stripes, like on the silver car above. Or maybe just the black border stripes on the outside would be enough....I would have to see how it would look).
SkinnystripeGT5002.jpg

I would apply the above concept to the thicker strips like the one on the red GT500 below. On this one I would do a thin silver border stripe and silver strip going down the middle of the two black stripes (setup like the first pic I posted but thicker stripes instead of the skinny red ones).
gt5002.jpg

The border stripes on the side look really nice too. Black on the outside of the white here.
Sidestripe.png

Post a thread about this in the Pics and Vids section and let the photoshop gurus come up with a few ideas for you.

Last edited:

Saikodi

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of strip delete on this body style, looks too plain when compared to a GT500 with stripes. Can't go wrong with Grabber blue. A darker silver would look great too. It might be too busy looking on a black car but I love the outline stripes on the outside of the solid stripes you find on a skinny stripped GT500. I would love to take that look and apply towards the thick stripes so that the thick strips would have outlined stripes on it. I've done that on a few cars in that Forza racing game and it looks sharp. Some may consider it too busy but I think it looks fantastic.

This is what I'm referring to. The black borders the red stripe which I think makes it look really sharp. I like this look the best and would apply this theme to the thicker stripped GT500's.
Shelby1stripe-black.jpg

On black...Looks like a silver or white border stripe. Here I would put the silver or white in between the red stripes as well (with of course the thicker stripped theme).
BlackskinnystrippedGT500.jpg

Another one here...black on the outside of the white with the middle left unchanged (I however would put black in between the stripes, like on the silver car above. Or maybe just the black border stripes on the outside would be enough....I would have to see how it would look).
SkinnystripeGT5002.jpg

I would apply the above concept to the thicker strips like the one on the red GT500 below. On this one I would do a thin silver border stripe and silver strip going down the middle of the two black stripes (setup like the first pic I posted but thicker stripes instead of the skinny red ones).
gt5002.jpg

The border stripes on the side look really nice too. Black on the outside of the white here.
Sidestripe.png

Post a thread about this in the Pics and Vids section and let the photoshop gurus come up with a few ideas for you.

Thanks a lot. Sincerely appreciate it. Now where do you think I can get this done. I really like the idea of thicker stripes with a contract border/edge. But I dont think I would get that by default. So where would I get such a thing done? From what you are saying, you seem to be good at it. Can you suggest me shops that would do it for me? I am in Seattle, WA.

By the way, I am definitely not that hands on to get such a big job done precisely. Please advise.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Thanks a lot. Sincerely appreciate it. Now where do you think I can get this done. I really like the idea of thicker stripes with a contract border/edge. But I dont think I would get that by default. So where would I get such a thing done? From what you are saying, you seem to be good at it. Can you suggest me shops that would do it for me? I am in Seattle, WA.

By the way, I am definitely not that hands on to get such a big job done precisely. Please advise.

To actually get it done, I don't know how you would do it for a reasonable price.

• I'm sure you could get the stripes painted on like that from any good paint shop in your area but will more than likely cost a pretty penny (especially when you compare the cost of painted stripes versus decal/vinyl stripes).
  • You could make some calls to your dealer, or Ford directly (there has to be a representative at Ford that could answer some of your questions).
  • You could order both sets of stripes (skinny and thicker ones) from your dealer, if you could find a place that could splice them together. This would also be expensive because, obviously, you would be ordering two different sets of stripe kits.
  • And who knows, maybe working with Ford directly you could get the border stripes with the thicker ones......I seriously doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Whatever you decide to do with this concept I mentioned, I'm sure it will be somewhat a pain to accomplish, but damn it would look good. One way I would go for a black car would be Grabber blue borders with thick silver stripes, or vice versa. But to get that detailed with the color combos I'm sure you would have to go with getting the stripes painted on by a good paint shop. At that point you would have a wide array of color combo options.

I'm going to actually put something about this in the thread that was started by Sid297/site owner called " If You Could Ask the Engineers at SVT Something, What Would it Be?." It's a cosmetic question so I'm not sure if it has any bearing towards engineers/that thread.......but it never hurts to try. :shrug:

Last edited:

slynch68

Established Member
Your going to pay the price for factory grabber blue stripes. The whole car is about $1700 iirc. Im thinking about selling my 2011 blk/grabber blue. They only made 46 coupes in 2010 and 17 coupes in 2011. 2012 numbers aren't out yet as far as I know

Saikodi

Established Member
To actually get it done, I don't know how you would do it for a reasonable price.

• I'm sure you could get the stripes painted on like that from any good paint shop in your area but will more than likely cost a pretty penny (especially when you compare the cost of painted stripes versus decal/vinyl stripes).
  • You could make some calls to your dealer, or Ford directly (there has to be a representative at Ford that could answer some of your questions).
  • You could order both sets of stripes (skinny and thicker ones) from your dealer, if you could find a place that could splice them together. This would also be expensive because, obviously, you would be ordering two different sets of stripe kits.
  • And who knows, maybe working with Ford directly you could get the border stripes with the thicker ones......I seriously doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Whatever you decide to do with this concept I mentioned, I'm sure it will be somewhat a pain to accomplish, but damn it would look good. One way I would go for a black car would be Grabber blue borders with thick silver stripes, or vice versa. But to get that detailed with the color combos I'm sure you would have to go with getting the stripes painted on by a good paint shop. At that point you would have a wide array of color combo options.

I'm going to actually put something about this in the thread that was started by Sid297/site owner called " If You Could Ask the Engineers at SVT Something, What Would it Be?." It's a cosmetic question so I'm not sure if it has any bearing towards engineers/that thread.......but it never hurts to try. :shrug:

Ok. Enquired around. Found a local shop that deals with exotic cars (lamborghini, etc). They seem to have done this exact same stripe work before. They have a fixed quote for that too. $400. I love the pricing and they know the color codes from Ford as well. Looks promising.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Ok. Enquired around. Found a local shop that deals with exotic cars (lamborghini, etc). They seem to have done this exact same stripe work before. They have a fixed quote for that too. $400. I love the pricing and they know the color codes from Ford as well. Looks promising.

Oh wow, that is surprising, seems to good to be true. If you get that done make sure to post pics, I would love to see what it looks like. What are you leaning towards doing with the car?

Last edited:

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Flat black or red. I don't care for thin stripes either so I recommend the wider stripes

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
OK, I'm going to be different I guess.

I've done more black cars than I can remember, it's my fav color, so you're awesome the way it is, but ... since you're asking, if it were me & I did stripes on black I would ONLY do one option. I would do stripes to match your wheel finish exactly, that alloy/charcoal color of the SVPP wheels. IMO doing any other color & especially doing a border color etc is waaaaaay too much colors and things going on for a black color. To me it'll go from mean & sleek to "busy". Just IMHO, you asked. Whatever you decide, your car looks great no matter.
Dave.

Saikodi

Established Member
OK, I'm going to be different I guess.

I've done more black cars than I can remember, it's my fav color, so you're awesome the way it is, but ... since you're asking, if it were me & I did stripes on black I would ONLY do one option. I would do stripes to match your wheel finish exactly, that alloy/charcoal color of the SVPP wheels. IMO doing any other color & especially doing a border color etc is waaaaaay too much colors and things going on for a black color. To me it'll go from mean & sleek to "busy". Just IMHO, you asked. Whatever you decide, your car looks great no matter.
Dave.

Thanks Dave. I am considering all options. I will get back to you guys with some mockups of the car with some colors.

Look at the image:
dualstripes.jpg

That's a comparison for the 10in. broad stripe with thin outer silver stroke - 2in, 1in, 1/2in, and 1/4. Scale is exact. I am leaning to the 1/4" silver outer border.

Thanks,
Sai Kodi

Saikodi

Established Member
Oh wow, that is surprising seems to good to be true. If you get that done make sure to post pics, I would love to see what it looks like. What are you leaning towards doing with the car?

They seem to have done a few already. By the way, this does not include the side stripes. Only the main stripes.

Saikodi

Established Member
Flat black or red. I don't care for thin stripes either so I recommend the wider stripes

Definitely wider stripes. I am clear with respect to that.

The color is the only debate here. I am considering all options. Red, Grabber blue, Matt black and Dave above suggested charcoal alloy.

I am also considering 1/4" outer edge stroke.

The problem with matt black or any darker color stripe - it rains always in Seattle. There are like literally 2 months that it does not rain. So the car always has water drops on it. So matt black or similar dark colored stripe - I am not sure how much visible it really will be when the car is covered with water droplets. So it will probably look like 1 color - pure black. Thats the reason I am hesitant to go with the black matt stripes.

Do you guys disagree with the entire rain concept? Am I smoking something here? :burn:

Users who are viewing this thread