stripped diff cover bolt help!

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
So I found out why my diff was leaking. It has always been sweaty but today I noticed the smell and a few drops after a drive.
When I got home, I wanted to check the tq on the lower most bolt to see if I could snug it for the time being. Well it was very loose, so I thought; 'well there's your problem!'.
Turned it with just the extension in my hand, and after turning till I was blue in the face concluded it was stripped. Pulled it out, and there were alu shavings in the bolt threads.

I removed the little metal tag, cleaned the bolt up and snugged it back finger tight. It seems to grab a little (mybe because the tag is gone), but I'm too scared to actually tighten it with the wrench.

What are my options? Can I try a longer bolt hoping there's some good material in the back of the hole? Helicoil it?

A new pumpkin is out of the question because shipping it would take ages and cost a fortune (there are no spares in Europe, trust me.)

03' White Snake

Established Member
Tap a larger bolt. Drill the hole in the cover to accept larger bolt and know that if you ever open it again that the larger bolt needs to go there.

Or you can remove the pumpkin, fill the hole with JB weld and re-drill and tap for the original thread size. Just hope you get the center correct when drilling.

Last edited:

mp23

Established Member
why are you scared to tighten it with a wrench? Either its stripped or it isn't. I see no reason tapping a slightly larger hole or using a helicoil wouldn't work. Those bolts are not terribly tight. 25 lbs I think, the grey RTV used for a gasket holds it pretty tight.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Try to tighten it first. If it is indeed done, then see if you can get a slightly longer bolt to work. If not, you will have to do what White Snake said. Good luck.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I had a shop put a helicoil in last weekend which seems to be holding up, thanks. I tend to make things worse, so didn't want to attempt helicoiling it myself as a first timer.
Just had to undo the two rear mount bolts to lower it a little for the right angle.

Users who are viewing this thread