stripped lower pulley bolt.

sdg97232

Established Member
ok guys im in need of help......I stripped my lower pulley bolt trying to remove the pulley so I can install my turbo kit. looking to see if any of you guys know if there is anything I can do to get this thing off, or am I screwed?? any help would be appreciated.

racebronco2

Established Member
You can turn the outer pulley to remove it from the stripped hex nut. I don't remember which direction. I used a long pipe on one of the 3 supports on the lower pulley in which i hit it with a 2lb sledge hammer. After the outer pulley is removed than you use a pipe wrench to remove the part that is stripped out.

sdg97232

Established Member
You can turn the outer pulley to remove it from the stripped hex nut. I don't remember which direction. I used a long pipe on one of the 3 supports on the lower pulley in which i hit it with a 2lb sledge hammer. After the outer pulley is removed than you use a pipe wrench to remove the part that is stripped out.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a shot!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have rebuilt my lower...the pulley is reverse thread also..and is a pita..

If you get it off a pipe wrench will work on whats left of allen bolt to remove from crank

cj428mach

Established Member
I have rebuilt my lower...the pulley is reverse thread also..and is a pita..

If you get it off a pipe wrench will work on whats left of allen bolt to remove from crank

Do you have any information on rebuilding a lower pulley? I have a low mileage spare lower pulley in my basement that I bought for my old car(although its probably not necessary as I now have a sub 8k mile car) I figured I'd keep it just incase but if you can rebuild them then I'd sell it and put the money in the car fund. Thanks

hotcobra03

Established Member
Do you have any information on rebuilding a lower pulley? I have a low mileage spare lower pulley in my basement that I bought for my old car(although its probably not necessary as I now have a sub 8k mile car) I figured I'd keep it just incase but if you can rebuild them then I'd sell it and put the money in the car fund. Thanks

I will look for my old thread..a seach in tech section should pull it up..

There are other links of broken ones to see whats there..

There is a bearing in middle..its staked to hold..I didnt change that..

Mine had rubber blow on posts that turn pulley..than after letting it go ..the post tore pulley up bad..

I had replaced the 3 post with a wheel stud and made a threaded rod to become new post..the new post are 1inch round..

I had just used heavy duty hose from homedepot for rubber..

Its been awhile now since I did this and its still holding tight..

Cost is around 10 bucks...I had no choice being ford stopped making them..

Used is going to turn into gold..800 new from ford..

Ive read some threads on crank shaft snapping from other options for uncaged pulleys..

Users who are viewing this thread