structural strength of convertibles

robs400

Established Member
Hey guys...

I have been trying to at least keep one of my eyes on searching for a cobra and was just wondering how the convertibles compare to the coupes. I have ridden in some convertibles before and they just feel incredibly flimsy in general. I bring my car to the track a few times a year...nothign serious, but are convertibles generally not used if they see any sort of track use?

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
You can just start a new thread in the right forum, and just PM one of this sections mods and ask them to delete this one for you.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
hehe you mustve not heard of trubble from sn95forums.com
truublesig1.jpg

and a video of the beast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve3qWKG8vM8

in car footage of the car.. it doesnt look like a vert inside lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYDN1FCZaSI

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
If going to the track is your thing go coupe. I dont plan to take mine to the track so I didnt worry about it~

69sta03cobradan

Established Member
AAaawwww, let him post it here...there is already comments on it...I drive a convertable, but not at the track...fun to have with the SoCal sun, even in winter the top is open as much as possible

Oh, maybe I should answer the question...there are the usual under vehicle supports for a convertable, but it can always be improved...a previous posters comment on adding a roll bar would make a big difference...therefore, coupes could naturally be more rigid, having more connected metal (roof) to add in strength.

robs400

Established Member
Thanks for not getting mad guys it was an honest mistake! And thanks for the pic Dr.Jay...if I am not mistaken...that looks like a yugo....had 2 of them growing up...GV's...and those cars were indestructible and could rev beyond most peoples imagination...fun little cars...wish I could find another one.

The vert I rode in was a lebaron, which wasnt anything special...however I could not believe how sloppy the car felt.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
robs400 to answer your question seriously, my 04 vert has a noticeable amount of cowl shake. to me however the option of having a convertible still makes it worth it.

but i was surprised when i got this car and it had cowl shake, because i had a 1996 mustang that had absolutely none.

i drove in a lebaron or sebring in 1999 and was amazed and thankful that my mustang did not have it, so i was surprised that my 2004 had it.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Once you drive a vert in 70-high 80's weather with the ehxaust blaring youll love it =]

Have you EVER heard your exhaust while your driving with the top down? Sounds like heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread