structural strength of convertibles

robs400

Established Member
Hey guys...

I have been trying to at least keep one of my eyes on searching for a cobra and was just wondering how the convertibles compare to the coupes. I have ridden in some convertibles before and they just feel incredibly flimsy in general. I bring my car to the track a few times a year...nothign serious, but are convertibles generally not used if they see any sort of track use?

tscripa

There is a lot of flex as they come stock. For street use you would at least need to weld in a good set of full length subframe connectors. These help a lot. For track use, installing a roll bar will take you the rest of the way to where you will need to be if you go with a vert.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Global West subframe connectors will stregthen it up as much as a Coupe.

Juruense

Banned
Rear shock tower brace? Give me a break, that is for trailer queens. The trunk is small enough already and that mod requires cutting or stripping out the trunk trim panels.

Of course verts have a bit more flex but a good set of subframe connectors and a front strut tower brace will fix that.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
there are very few convertibles that are as stiff as a coupe, the C5/C6 Corvette and Honda S2000 are only a couple that I can think of.. the Mustang is just too flexible from the get go too be that stiff as a ragtop..

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm suprised no one has said it...You take the car to the track? Well I hope you don't plan to run faster than 13.5 because after that I believe a vert has to have a cage. That would suck IMO...

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
just depends upon what you want out of the car. I have taken mine to the track two or three times and have had no issue's.

Vert's can be just as stiff as coupe's with the right amount of bracing, there are plenty of high hp convertibles around here.

03yellow

Established Member
There are some cheap factory bars(not really subs) on the vert already;they are not very strong but help some.
If your pulling the front wheels or you have some issues closing your door after a race then you may want to look at some good subframes.
The overall length of the Mustang, compared to the beasts of old, and the build(support) for the IRS seem to keep these car fairly stiff.
I would consider Subs if I was over 600rwhp.

boosted_truck

Network God
Established Member
I'm suprised no one has said it...You take the car to the track? Well I hope you don't plan to run faster than 13.5 because after that I believe a vert has to have a cage. That would suck IMO...

I've never been kicked out before. I've ran much faster than that and they never even looked at me.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
P3260032.jpg

The MM FLSCs made a world of difference!
The stock POS subframe connectors suck! After I had the MMs welded in, I took the stocker by on end and hit it against the ground on the other end and it bent!!!

beabout

Established Member
Rear shock tower brace? Give me a break, that is for trailer queens. The trunk is small enough already and that mod requires cutting or stripping out the trunk trim panels.

Of course verts have a bit more flex but a good set of subframe connectors and a front strut tower brace will fix that.

Really, have you driven one with a rear brace? If you do any cornering at all you will appriciate how planted the rear end is with the brace. Course, if you want to fill the trunk with golf clubs there will be issues with the brace. Mine has not seen a trailer thank you very much. peace.

Juruense

Banned
No offense man, sorry :) I would never consider hacking up my trunk for that but to each his own. Also the IRS keeps the rear planted for me just fine :D

Redwing

Established Member
I have full length subframes, welded in, a Maximum motorsports strut tower brace, a k-memnber brace and a Light bar. I know, I know, the light bar isn't supposed to make any difference, but on 3 different late model verts the stiffening effect is noticable.
With these additions, the car feels very tight, the handling is excellent, and there is greatly reduced (it's still there, if you're looking for it) cowl shake.
We have 6 Mustangs now, including 4 Foxes, and we've done subframes to all but one of them. Worth every penny.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
No offense man, sorry :) I would never consider hacking up my trunk for that but to each his own. Also the IRS keeps the rear planted for me just fine :D

there was no hacking to put in the 3-point kenny brown rear shock tower brace in my vert. you wouldn't know it was in there. all the stock trunk liner went right back in, took no room from the trunk storage area.
http://www.v8power.com/item--Kenny-Brown-Rear-Shock-Tower-Brace-94-04-Mustang-Cobra--KBP29901B.html

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
At minimum, you want to consider full length sub frame connectors, welded in. I have 520 rwhp and run at the 1/8 mile track with no issues. The 1/4 mile track will not let me run without a rollbar/cage so each track probably takes their own risk assessment. Good luck and have fun.

SpectorV

Established Member
if you are hard core into the track or autox get some better bracing sfc other than MM's but if you dont do much at the track they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread